It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Ixalan flavor thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:08 pm 

We don't have much to go on right now, other than we will be heading to the plane of Ixalan in the fall.

Announcements
Quote:
We've got a lot to share with you. Here's a quick overview of what we're announcing today:

- The fall set is named Ixalan, and will be releasing on September 29, 2017. It will be legal for the 2017 World Championship's Standard and Limited play. Pro Tour Ixalan is November 3–5, 2017. This also means that Grand Prix Providence and Shizuoka will both be Team Sealed GPs as part of the release weekend.

Ixalan's Release Date, And What This Means for Premier Play

-We're excited to reveal the name and release date for the fall set, which will be the start of a new block and lead to a fresh new Standard Constructed format. That set's name is Ixalan, and it will be released on September 29 later this year.

-For many of our players, this will come as a surprise, since the Pro Tour scheduled around this set will take place November 3–5, rather than two weeks after the new set's release. We're trying something different with this set, and are instead timing the 2017 Magic: The Gathering World Championship, which will be just one week after Ixalan's release, to highlight the new set. This is an experiment to see how utilizing the World Championship to highlight a new Standard fares, and we will be seeking feedback once the schedule bears itself out.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Ixalan flavor thread
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:10 pm 

Ajani and Vraska are incredibly likely.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 pm 

How so? Are we going off of recently running into Ajani and Vraska-like art being on that spoiled test packaging a while ago?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:15 pm 

No Atlazan after all, but the similar name suggests we may still be getting our Mayincatec Mesoamerican Mess

I think Kiora was teased on the Atlazan mockups?

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:27 pm 

Interesting that the set up that 50/50 return/new plane thing, and then have three new planes in a row. I'm not complaining at all, mind you, since I think the spread should be mostly new planes, I just find it interesting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:31 pm 

I think they are teeing up to return to Dominaria for the 25th Anniversary in 2018 and don't want any other returns stealing the show. After that, we may be in a for a couple of years of returns as we spin through Magic's Highlight reel.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:33 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
How so? Are we going off of recently running into Ajani and Vraska-like art being on that spoiled test packaging a while ago?

Well, Ajani is a shoe in anyways. Beyond that, I suspect to see some leonin to follow through on the cat tribal elements in Amonkhet.

Vraska is for the packaging, but also for the story hooks Ral brought to Jace prior to Kaladesh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:49 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Interesting that the set up that 50/50 return/new plane thing, and then have three new planes in a row. I'm not complaining at all, mind you, since I think the spread should be mostly new planes, I just find it interesting.

They also said SoI was too soon for a return, and it should be about 6-7 years at least before a return. That pretty much leaves the options as Ulgothra, Mercadia, Kamigawa, Dominaria, Lorwyn and New Phyrexia. New Phyrexia would be too close to Kaladesh, and R&D isn't exactly keen on the rest.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:53 pm 

They also said SoI was too soon for a return, and it should be about 6-7 years at least before a return. That pretty much leaves the options as Ulgothra, Mercadia, Kamigawa, Dominaria, Lorwyn and New Phyrexia. New Phyrexia would be too close to Kaladesh, and R&D isn't exactly keen on the rest.

New Phyrexia is pretty low on it too.
They'd rather stage another invasion if they brought Phyrexia back.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm 

You forgot Alara.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:17 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
You forgot Alara.

Everybody forgets Alara. :P

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:25 pm 

Eh, I liked the name Atlazan a lot more, and even that wasn't exactly great. If it's indeed Mesoamerican inspired, I hope it's only very superficially so. The Mayaincathec stuff doesn't appeal to me very much aesthetically and I'm tired of top-down planes based on real world cultures. Amonkhet isn't really what I wanted it to be, and it feels an awful lot like Theros. Naya is basically all the Mesoamerican influence I would have needed in Magic.

Story-wise, I think this will take place at the same time as Amonkhet and follow Ajani on his quest to find more 'walkers. He probably knows someone there. The block (or maybe two blocks) after that might well be when we return to Dominaria as has been hinted at here and there. Which kinda sucks because it means Dominaria will be ruined by the **** Gatewatch. Really, the four founding members should burst into flame the moment they touch Dominarian soil.

*crawls back into the shadows*

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 pm 

To be fair, Gatewatch Feedback started hitting in time for Hour to be altered (but not Amonkhet). Assuming that's feedback from OGW for the development cycle, that means they'll have feedback from as late as Kaladesh to revise even Set 1 of Return to Dominaria, which means plenty of chance to hear Vorthos's dissatisfaction with the Gatewatch and how they're being handled as well.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:24 pm 

To be fair, Gatewatch Feedback started hitting in time for Hour to be altered (but not Amonkhet). Assuming that's feedback from OGW for the development cycle, that means they'll have feedback from as late as Kaladesh to revise even Set 1 of Return to Dominaria, which means plenty of chance to hear Vorthos's dissatisfaction with the Gatewatch and how they're being handled as well.
True, but there are several hints that Dominaria is going to be the plane where Ajani is supposed to meet the others again. The announcement of the Amonkhet artbook outright stated that (though that might be wrong or outdated) and Liliana said she knows the plane in question "especially well", which to me sounds pretty on the nose. The only way the feedback could change that is if they shove in another block between return to Dominaria and Ixalan and have them meet there, so that Dominaria could still be the second block in 2018 and be spared the Gatewatch. But I doubt that any feedback in the world would make them reconsider sending the Gatewatch to Dominaria. The overlap between people who like the Gatewatch and people who are dying to return to Dominaria is probably close to zero to begin with, but I guess the 'New Era of Bloody Storytelling' doesn't care about that. Gatewatch + Dominaria must sound like the ultimate marketing stunt to the suits and higher ups at WotC.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:13 pm 

Most likely an Aztec inspired plane, which is kind of a shame since I hope it was an underwater Atlantis world

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:18 pm 

Even with my freely admitted dislike of the Gatewatch, I don't think it's the worst thing that they feature in a return to Dominaria. If anything, I think it can be used as a potential way to break up the group in a (potentially) satisfying way, perhaps even maintaining the characters themselves for future if more sporadic use.

Of course, that's all assuming that Wizards' feedback suggesting that they de-emphasize the Gatewatch in Standard is not limited to card representation, and that it will, in fact, bleed over into creative. I can absolutely see a Magic of the future where the Gatewatch is still the central focus of every set, but their representation on actual cards lessens. I don't personally like that possibility, but the fact remains that they are the current mascots for the product.

Basically, I'll welcome and believe the de-emphasis of the Gatewatch only when I see it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:24 pm 

I want a Standard where my white/blue deck can run Gideon at three different CCs. Ditto for Jace.

edit

I can do this with Liliana now! Good Lilly from Innistrad, PW deck Lilly(s?), Amonkhet 5CC Lilly.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:47 pm 

I want a Standard where my white/blue deck can run Gideon at three different CCs. Ditto for Jace.

edit

I can do this with Liliana now! Good Lilly from Innistrad, PW deck Lilly(s?), Amonkhet 5CC Lilly.

Someone said you can do this with Gideon as well, but I've not looked into it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Yeah, they printed a 3-cost and 5-cost Gideon in Amonkhet (normal printing and Planeswalker deck).

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:55 pm 

Most likely an Aztec inspired plane, which is kind of a shame since I hope it was an underwater Atlantis world

Yeah I would've enjoyed that more too actually. That's probably at least one of the reasons why they changed the name. An underwater plane with Mesoamerican influences would've been like awwww yeaaaaa

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next