It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:18 pm 

Today's UR (Magic Story): THE ILLUSIONS OF CHILD'S PLAY

Quote:
A demon of the Cult of Rakdos runs afoul of the Azorius Senate when he pushes the Ragefest celebration to liberating new heights.
The first Ravnica Allegiance story from Nikcy Drayden is here.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:32 pm 

Violent psychopaths vs tyrannical police force. Nice.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Rage of the Unsung

Quote:
Rage of the Unsung
Nicky Drayden
A Gruul tattoo artist finds a mentor—and his calling.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:51 am 

Mm, the Selesnya being shady. Interesting.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:29 am 

Today we get to see the conservative side of the Simic. Kind of interesting, I'm really glad they've gone past bio-Izzet to a fully fleshed out culture outside of the rest of Ravnica.

Also Miko no.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:14 pm 

Today's UR (Magic Story): The Principles of Unnatural Selection

Quote:
Deep below the surface of Ravnica, a Simic educator tests the limits of her students, herself and her guild.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
I've really liked these recent stories! The Gruul, Simic, and Rakdos ones were surprisingly engaging for me. Personally, I've never liked the Gruul or the Rakdos but these did a really good job of making them more personal and relatable. I've always been a big Simic fan and I also liked how their story made them seem like not the bio-Izzet.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Baan turned out to be a Nicol Bolas agent. I probably missed some obvious signs, but he went to bring the Gatewatch to Kaladesh and then just came to Ravnica to seize control of the Azorius? I would have hoped he would have done something for the rampant bureaucracy and inefficiency in the Azorious but nope, they get to be the villains again. U/W is one of my favourite colour combos, so seeing it so badly misrepresented makes me sad. I also haven't seen Baan do any actual magic and I feel like he would have been a great place to showcase counterspells and control-style magic in the story, but he mostly stood around doing nothing. Poor Isperia also got petrified? Just snuffed like that?

So it looks like Bolas is in control of the Gruul, Golgari, Azorious, Orzhov, meddling with the Selesnya, and will do something to the Izzet through Ral. From the way the Dimir are being positioned it looks like we'll get the black heroes we all wanted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:56 pm 

Ah. This week is in present tense.

I'll be giving it a skip then.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 am 

Empyreal wrote:
I've really liked these recent stories! The Gruul, Simic, and Rakdos ones were surprisingly engaging for me. Personally, I've never liked the Gruul or the Rakdos but these did a really good job of making them more personal and relatable. I've always been a big Simic fan and I also liked how their story made them seem like not the bio-Izzet.

Honestly, I'm surprised the Baan turned out to be a Nicol Bolas agent. I probably missed some obvious signs, but he went to bring the Gatewatch to Kaladesh and then just came to Ravnica to seize control of the Azorius? I would have hoped he would have done something for the rampant bureaucracy and inefficiency in the Azorious but nope, they get to be the villains again. U/W is one of my favourite colour combos, so seeing it so badly misrepresented makes me sad. I also haven't seen Baan do any actual magic and I feel like he would have been a great place to showcase counterspells and control-style magic in the story, but he mostly stood around doing nothing. Poor Isperia also got petrified? Just snuffed like that?

So it looks like Bolas is in control of the Gruul, Golgari, Azorious, Orzhov, meddling with the Selesnya, and will do something to the Izzet through Ral. From the way the Dimir are being positioned it looks like we'll get the black heroes we all wanted.

Dovin Baan can't cast spells.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:34 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): The Ledger of Hidden Fortunes

Quote:
An Orzhov collector learns a valuable lesson while balancing her loyalty to her family, her guild, and herself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:02 pm 

Pretty nice overall, and I'm glad there's more depth to the Orzhov even if the protagonist is more "Selesnyfied".

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:47 pm 

I can't wait for the wall to get pulled to Ravnica during War of the Spark.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:41 am 

Today's story is kind of tonally odd, not seeming to be consistent in regards to how formal the protagonist is or why a vedalken would explain why their bathsalts are dangerous to humans. But as it stands it is a nice closing to these stories.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:44 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
Empyreal wrote:

Dovin Baan can't cast spells.

Question, is this canon or is it just because we've never seen him cast spells? I find it weird to imagine a planeswalker who's only defining trait is his ability to criticize others =/

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:52 pm 

Most Kaladesh natives are squibs. I don't think we saw Dovin cast any spells in the Kaladesh story, but seeing as he's a planeswalker and has fallen in with Bolas, I'd believe he could learn to invoke regular magic since M:tG has never been consistent on whether or not casting is always and inescapably inborn; at least some renditions have allowed for inborn talent/natural casters but also seemed to suggest that most individuals could learn how to harness mana and cast spells. So even if Dovin comes from a world with extrememly few Naturals and no academic understanding, especially as a Planeswalker I'd take him gaining it.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:37 am 

The stained artwork does show him with his hands glowing, but so far it seems his main contribution is to bring Kaladesh thopters to the Azorius.

So most likely he is a rare example of a Magic character that preffers technology to magic.

My Patreon:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5736 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 283, 284, 285, 286, 287