It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 279  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:32 pm 

I think the artbook told us that Induced Amnesia is to save Vraska from Bolas; presumably she betrays him subtly, or Jace thinks (with evidence or not) that she'll be tortured or broken if Bolas finds out about their interactions. I give the artist credit that it looks like Jace is in pain on that card.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:12 pm 

Kumena is a certified dumbass for raising Orazca to the surface instead of plunging it into the river where the vampires, pirates, and dinosaurs can't do anything. He went for it, the sun, like a moth to flame.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:29 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
That was a real good read.

In terms of over all plot development, not a ton other than than based on actual card flavor texts, Kumena was the tyrant for a lot longer than implied in this story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:28 am 

Story's out.

- I like Huatli more now.

- Angrath's fatherly backstory is confirmed. Its kind of funny how he gets the bigger picture.

- Ugin turns out to have been involved in Ixalan after all!

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 am 

So Jace winding up on Ixalan was likely a safety precaution implanted in his mind by Ugin against Bolas (or any similarly powerful telepaths that could beat Jace and might be interested in Ugin).

Jace is now apparently 'a pirate' lol.

Azor is rather prickly, on top of being a quick, subtle and rude mind-mage, with likely a greater than normal heaping of the sort of craziness typical of sphinxes, slightly tempered by old age and experience.

Jace realizes a bit about the comparison between Liliana and Vraska in a mirror to Vraska's opinions on Liliana, hinting at potential feelings towards Vraska similar to her's towards him, and starting to see through how bad his relationship with Liliana was.

Azor is surprised/displeased the fail-safe happened from the looks of it, probably would have liked the original guildpact to stick around better.

I'm really eager to see the continued conversation/interactions between Jace, Vraska, and Azor!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:42 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I have a feeling azor won't have any idea how long its been

I also forsee that I will be frustrated with the pacing again. I want an entire weekly segment devoted to Jace and Azor talking to each other.

I like that Elenda isn't just randomly evil, it seems. Makes me happy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:07 pm 

I love how many different threads this is tying together and paying off. That's details from, like, 6 stories and/or novels in very neat little bows there.

I also love that Elenda is real pissed at the Legion of Dusk for completely screwing up everything. Plus shadow teleportation is cool.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:45 pm 

Finally got around to reading The Flood and I'll echo the general sentiment that it was the best story we've had in months. It's the best Jace story in a long time too, which is funny since it was told through Vraska's pov.

The Kumena bit was a total waste of space though.
It's odd to me how the River Herald are probably the most interesting thing on the cards, but their story is just bland nothing. Tishana, Kumena, doesn't matter.

As to this week, Huatli getting smacked in the face with some perspective has finally made me like her more. Which was a difficult prospect if I'm being honest. Meanwhile, I have to say I like Angrath slightly less, if only because his demeanor feels very cliche to fit him into his colors and that feels like it robs him of some nuance.

Also, even if I like Huatli a bit more, she is still a crap poet.

On the flip side, Elenda was a pleasant surprise.

On the other flip side, still pissed about Azor. I'm as happy about that as I was with Alhammeret suddenly being a sphinx.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:53 pm 

Sorry, was out yesterday and missed putting up the story link.

Yesterday's UR (Magic Story): Glimpse the Far Side of the Sun
Quote:
Huatli races towards the Immortal Sun as Jace and Vraska encounter an unexpected enemy.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
I really liked this story and how humanizing it was for both Jace, who's having to put himself mentally together again, and Vraska, who's having to cope with potentially losing her new best friend. The whole "A sphynx will never hurt you again" part was really sweet to me.

I want a return to Ixalan in which the big-bad is currency devaluation. C'mon, all that gold enters the economy and we're just supposed to believe that it doesn't get completely devalued? I want the Gatewatch to show up all "Alright, Bolas, we're here to save the day!" and then realize that the massive amounts of gold destroyed the plane's economy and it crashed back down to a barter system. Not even Gideon can protect the people from economics.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:22 am 

@Empyreal: *Insert facepalm meme here* ...I realize that is true but man...

Either way, enjoyed every single bit of this! Some top notch story telling here and has me curious on Jace, Vraska, Azor, Huatli, and Angrath... Though the one Planechase card link makes me wonder if they are starting to draw a little inspiration from their past creations and putting them into play now.

Also noting a bit on Jace's past with talk of Coffee, concrete, doctors... Just how modern is the plane Jace is from?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 am 

Another note, and this is just speculation, but Ugin leaving a note in Jace's mind to flee here almost implies that Ugin and Azor are connected somehow... Could be that the two aren't, but why would Ugin send Jace here then?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:05 pm 

Another note, and this is just speculation, but Ugin leaving a note in Jace's mind to flee here almost implies that Ugin and Azor are connected somehow... Could be that the two aren't, but why would Ugin send Jace here then?

Because he needs be dealt with.
Ugin didn't want anyone to know he's back, so he'd rather trap Jace on Ixalan than let anyone find that out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:54 pm 

Because everything in magic needs to be connected. The multiverse is a small place. I'm personally waiting until they announce the dead dragon that originally created Phyrexia was one of Bolas' siblings so that he can be involved there as well.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:47 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
@Empyreal: *Insert facepalm meme here* ...I realize that is true but man...

Either way, enjoyed every single bit of this! Some top notch story telling here and has me curious on Jace, Vraska, Azor, Huatli, and Angrath... Though the one Planechase card link makes me wonder if they are starting to draw a little inspiration from their past creations and putting them into play now.

Also noting a bit on Jace's past with talk of Coffee, concrete, doctors... Just how modern is the plane Jace is from?

What, you don't want to talk about the macroeconomic impacts of flooding an economy? Yeah it doesn't have the same sort of "sex appeal" as fighting hordes of Eldrazi but there's got to be some sort of heroism in establishing a new standard of exchange. Maybe we could visit Torrezon and see how they're handling the boatloads of gold pouring in! :D

The coffee part has also shown up in Ravnica. I imagine they'd easily have concrete with all of the other stuff that city has. I think the novels indicate that they're aware of viruses too (I'm trying to remember the exact wording of the examination of the Simic doctor by Teysa). I don't think they have medical practitioners like we do, more so healing magic casters from the Selesyan Conclave. The Simic doctors that I've seen written about seem less involved in the "health of the common person" than they are in modifying life.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:05 pm 

I mean, looking at the real world, none of those things is particularly 'modern' per se. Coffee* has been around for centuries, doctors for even longer, and the Romans used a substance that was for all intents and purposes concrete. I can see why all that stuff being mentioned in one place and in a Magic story at that would feel strikingly modern to people, though.

*In addition to Ravnica, coffee has also shown up on Dominaria. Heck, the Conclave of Mages even had chocolate cheesecake! :drool:

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:51 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
What, you don't want to talk about the macroeconomic impacts of flooding an economy? Yeah it doesn't have the same sort of "sex appeal" as fighting hordes of Eldrazi but there's got to be some sort of heroism in establishing a new standard of exchange. Maybe we could visit Torrezon and see how they're handling the boatloads of gold pouring in! :D

Ah, but you have to remember that Ixalan treasure is a bit weird, as it has built in abilities to be sacrificed for mana, which uses it up. It's less of a currency and more of a consumable resource, like a fossil fuel such as coal. If they actually use it as a currency, their economy is likely pretty bad already, there are reasons real world economies that use actually consumable resources don't last that long as a form of currency. I mean, they could use it to a small degree at the lower end, like how farmers often pay their taxes in what they create on the farm historically.

Luckily, being usable for magic, and the existence of some of the magic the merfolk can clearly do, means that flooding the market probably won't have as bad effects as massive currency inflation, since it can be effectively turned into food and other goods. It'll cause a lot of at least temporary shuffling around of the job market likely painful to many and helpful to others, due to magic becoming temporarily cheaper, while things that can be done with magic that are done other ways normally potentially being hurt by cheap magic presenting unfair market competition, but the results would probably be closer to the industrial revolution than a major currency inflation incident.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm 

While we are on the subject of gold as a resource.....

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/2n952n/the_fighter_decided_to_ask_our_wizard_why_he/?st=jcs4jwg6&sh=f905fba1

Quote:
The Fighter decided to ask our Wizard why he needs gold to cast a spell on some boots.

What follows is paraphrased from the best answer I've ever heard by a party wizard to such a simple question.

"sigh...Because gold is magic. The first day I was an apprentice, I remember my Maestro asked me the simple question, 'Why can’t we create gold?' I thought it was an odd question, but as he left me alone to think about it, I realized I’d heard of wizards creating fire, summoning water, producing force, and all sorts other of objects and effects... but never of a Wizard just sitting in a tower summoning mounds of gold. You’d think if it was possible, someone would’ve done it by now right? Well...why haven’t they?

It’s because gold is magic. Well, a physical manifestation and metaphysical conduit at the same time, but for your purposes, it is magic. I mean, when you sit and look at the evidence laid out, how could you not have come to the conclusion sooner? Let’s take, oh...dragons, for example. When you imagine a big bad dragon, the next thing you imagine is it guarding its’ hoard. Hoard of what you say? Oh, that’s right, GOLD. Doesn’t it strike you as a little odd that an entity whose literal being is infused with magic just happens to have not only an insatiable, but uncanny magnetism towards large quantities of gold, along with the urge to acquire as much as possible? Possibly Like-Begets-Like, mayhaps?

What about Dwarves? This is a race whose history lies below ground, closest in proximity to the veins and shafts where gold accumulates and grows (Yes, I said grows). Also the only natural race with a strange resistance to magic. Interesting, wouldn’t you say? Almost as if there’s a subtle inoculation against it by such proximity for generations...

Lastly, to get back to what exactly I am doing with all this gold when I’m making your lovely magic item, or all my scrolls...You’re right that I’m not spending thousands of coins upon jewels and masterwork items to hold the magic in place. That’s ludicrous, but if eldritch manipulators are spending money on high end items to imbue, it’s probably a personal focusing preference. For myself though, as you can see, I am working with normal mundane items. As to the details, first I am transmogrifying via prestidigitation these elegant golden coins into their more metaphysically soluble powder form because essence diffusion is easier by an order of magnitude when working with particulates instead of a boatload of Big Ol’ Coins. Next, with a certain amount of forceful application of will and choice incantations, you will notice the gold powder I am sprinkling and kneading on top of the object appears to be being absorbed. Remember what I said about manifestation and conduit? So the gold is not only priming these boots to be receptive towards my spells, but it’s starting to establish a channel to arcane ley lines it order to keep the magic going. And yes, it is indeed very time consuming rubbing gold powder into an item one pinch at a time while maintaining the proper mental focus. There’s a REASON it takes us about eight hours for every thousand gold a magic item requires. You think a consortium of magic users got together and decided on union hours for magic making? Hell no. Its plain, old, tedious, but important work if you want it to function correctly.

Now, master-of-arms and all things armly, would you kindly let me focus on the task at hand so that when I’m done, we don’t have to worry about our Holy Dictator suffering from extreme vomiting and nausea whenever he puts his shoes on because I had to split my attention trying to condense decades of intense arcane study into an elementary discourse?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:06 pm 

Luckily, being usable for magic, and the existence of some of the magic the merfolk can clearly do, means that flooding the market probably won't have as bad effects as massive currency inflation, since it can be effectively turned into food and other goods. It'll cause a lot of at least temporary shuffling around of the job market likely painful to many and helpful to others, due to magic becoming temporarily cheaper, while things that can be done with magic that are done other ways normally potentially being hurt by cheap magic presenting unfair market competition, but the results would probably be closer to the industrial revolution than a major currency inflation incident.

Halfway through that first sentence I was sure you were going to start talking about the economic consequences of flooding the market with water.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:02 pm 

Halfway through that first sentence I was sure you were going to start talking about the economic consequences of flooding the market with water.
That, at least, is easy to answer...

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 259, 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265 ... 279  Next