It is currently Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Planar Mash-ups
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:45 am 

I was just combing through gatherer in preparation for a deck when I got this sudden thought.
What if the Bant practice of using sigils was combined with the Abzan use of scales?

And I was so struck with the idea that I decided to revive a very very old thread concept.
How you you combine elements of the planes? It can be as thorough as you like or as lean as you wish.
Just a thread to brainstorm some planar chaos

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Planar Mash-ups
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:24 am 

I've been entertaining the idea of merging Innistrad and Ravnica for a while. Basically a thought experiment of what a plane like that could look like if you built it from the ground up, rather than an in-universe merger of existing planes. The two already have a lot in common if you look in the right places, and I've always been most intrigued by Ravnica's dark and creepy aspects anyway, especially in the original Ravnica block. I'd probably strip away most of Ravnica's high fantasy elements, especially the non-human races to bring it in line with Innistrad's tone, and borrow from the autumnal film-noir aesthetics of the third Ravnica block to make it a foggy, plane-spanning city dominated by humans with Innistrad's sense of fashion, with only a brittle old wall or a slippery pavement separating you from the creatures that lurk in the dark.

There's a lot you could do with the ten two-colour pairs in this hybrid world (heh), and I'd definitely make sure to give a clear creative and mechanical identity to each of them. They wouldn't be "guilds" in that sense, and not all of them would even be real factions or organisations, though some of them would be. Here are some suggestions for what could be done with them:

Spoiler

Having said that, the planar mash-up thing is also one of the many aspects I love about Dominaria. It's not that prominent at first glance, but it actually has bits and pieces of Rabiah, Rath, Phyrexia, Serra's Realm and arguably even Kamigawa baked into it (There is no way Madara hadn't been settled by people from Kamigawa ages before Toshi was dropped there. With both settings having strong ties to Japanese culture, those two places being connected though a time rift just by coincidence would be ridiculous). The fact that Baron Sengir visited Dominaria in the past and spread the same line of vampires we see on Ulgrotha is also a nice little nod to the Homelands. Dominaria is like a big drop of sap that swallowed pieces of Magic's history on its way down the trunk, until it hardened into a piece of amber that beautifully preserves them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 am 

Years ago, I thought Innistrad could introduce moonfolk because of its moon magic and to mesh alien abduction/fairy abduction/unknowable Others horror. Then Shadows Over Innistrad came out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:04 pm 

I had a similar idea for Innistrad to bring the elves back and tap into fey horror. And then Eldraine happened.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:10 pm 

I long fantasized about Phyrexia vs Kamigawa. Guess it'll happen after all.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:03 pm 

I did a doctored up version of Karn oiling the hell out of Innistrad.
Ended up following a good chunk of the Eldrazi's corruption now that I reflect on it.

Like this post