It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
TPmanW wrote:
You make 4chan sound like such a lovely place.

I mean it's obviously significantly more nuanced and a lot of it is just a cultivated reaction from extreme political trends that triggers a backlash whenever either side is perceived to make a move, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't rag on the cover being uninspiring nearly as much if it didn't push their forced diversity triggers.
Which is a thing that maro explicitly states that they do as a company so I guess they're somewhat justified in their responses, but that's a pretty dead horse. I think 4chan is a pretty nice place if you have the mindset for it, but the current political climate does make a lot of public discourse significantly more exhausting.

More than anything about this book, I'm curious if they're going to touch on the various colors of mana and make it meaningful in any way, ideally as an alternative to alignment, because I don't think they're going to rework the spell system to care about it in the slightest.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:15 am 

Identity: Male
I could see them offering an alternative to D&D alignments (which suck anyway) but messing with spell mechanics is a much bigger kettle of fish.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:11 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
*dive-bombs in out of nowhere*

Quote:
More than anything about this book, I'm curious if they're going to touch on the various colors of mana and make it meaningful in any way, ideally as an alternative to alignment, because I don't think they're going to rework the spell system to care about it in the slightest.

TPmanW wrote:
I could see them offering an alternative to D&D alignments (which suck anyway) but messing with spell mechanics is a much bigger kettle of fish.

I really hope the mana colors will matter in any way. I skimmed through Amonkhet's and Dominaria's Plane Shifts (did they just skip Ixalan, btw?) and while I liked the race dossiers and the additional BGs, the lack of mention of mana was disappointing. Admittedly it would be a big undertaking to divide every spell (and spell-like ability) into the five colors, and one could argue prepared casting doesn't reflect how MtG mages cast, but leaving it all as-is would seem so lazy to me. A friend of mine says my homebrew focus too much on balancing and versatility and too little on flavor, but if mechanics don't even work in the same conceptual universe of the lore it's just willful negligence.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:28 am 

I skimmed through Amonkhet's and Dominaria's Plane Shifts (did they just skip Ixalan, btw?)
They did not.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:57 pm 

Thank you for the link! For some reason it didn't come up when I looked for it the first time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:47 am 

Probably the best way to make a mechanical nod to MTG's magic system would be to create a new class of magic user.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 am 

From what's been talked about by WotC folk, so far it seems like the most they are willing to do is create specific character backgrounds for each of the guilds that will add some Magic flavor to a character. Chances are there will be some custom spells and magic items that call-back to some Ravnica magic and artifacts as well.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:24 pm 

TPmanW wrote:
Probably the best way to make a mechanical nod to MTG's magic system would be to create a new class of magic user.

I concur, though coming up with a good way to represent mana bonds wouldn't be very easy.

AzureShade wrote:
From what's been talked about by WotC folk, so far it seems like the most they are willing to do is create specific character backgrounds for each of the guilds that will add some Magic flavor to a character. Chances are there will be some custom spells and magic items that call-back to some Ravnica magic and artifacts as well.

That's... something, though if they don't at least come up with guild-related BGs the handbook will be a crappier version of an ordinary plane shift.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm 

They have already said each guild will have its own background and there will be guild-specific and inter-guild hooks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:18 pm 

TPmanW wrote:

I concur, though coming up with a good way to represent mana bonds wouldn't be very easy.

AzureShade wrote:

That's... something, though if they don't at least come up with guild-related BGs the handbook will be a crappier version of an ordinary plane shift.

Some kind of animist-type class with abilities that vary depending on her surroundings might work.
I mused about something like that here:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=7362&p=501879
Somebody did a much better job, but with different flavour here:
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.com/2015/05 ... ector.html

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post