It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:43 pm 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Its before they gets jaded from their child-like innocence.

EDIT: Yes, I changed the pronouns. "It" is henceforth reserved for Ashiok (who defines itself as an inhuman horror) and to characters I don't like (i.e. Nissa).

I dunno, in general, I'd rather be called an "it" than a "they," and I don't want to be classified with Nissa.

----------
Overall, I feel like this chapter is addressing my biggest concerns with the story. I wish it could've had its parts closer to the events, but the only way I could see that is as a prologue or epilogue blurb on each of the other stories, and I'm not sure that'd work. Pretty much the only person it'd help is Liliana, since she's the one with the most separate character moments in the chapter. I'd also like the Raff/Shanna discussion firmly at the end of their intro chapter, because I'd like to imagine Jhoira as the only person Shanna could divert Raff to if she were ever annoyed (Though she isn't really annoyed in the scene).

Also, I'm now imagining the reason why Thallids never really got creature classes on the cards is because they weren't able to communicate through speech/telepathy to other creatures. Then I go to the whole Sarpadia incident and picturing them as fully capable of intelligence as a human, but stuck until the rebellion because they were never designed to have mouths.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:06 am 

astarael7 wrote:
It didn't come up because they hadn't thought of it yet.
And now it's too late by about ten years. If they arbitrarily change the rules now just because they feel like it, this reflects poorly on the quality of the storyline and on their ability to maintain continuity.

astarael7 wrote:
Now they have, its a good solution to the problem of unacquainted planeswalkers finding each other other than by accident and coincidence, and it ties in very neatly with how Project Lightning Bug might work, so I'm glad they've introduced it.
The tie-in with Project Lightning Bug is almost certainly intentional, but it actually proves my point, because this is NOT how Project Lightning Bug used to work originally either. It was fine when it was just used to detect planeswalkers entering and leaving Ravnica, but it derailed pretty badly the moment they turned it into a planeswalker tracking device.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:48 am 

So, Slimefoot, huh. I don't know, it's cute and all, but as Azure said, it doesn't match what we were told about the character. What's worse, I think this story was a waste of space, considering we have only two more left and previous episodes didn't take the time to show or explain more important things. The Slimefoot part could have been chopped into paragraphs and dealt with in the other Weatherlight stories bit by bit to save space. Introducing it earlier would also have allowed for it to be present when Jace arrives as it originally was at the end of RIX.

Also, I really, really don't understand why we can't have Squee back instead. If you're going out of your way to create a new Weatherlight crew that feels like a carbon copy of the original one, with Jhoira recruiting Raff and Shanna solely based on who their ancestors were, why not include the one surviving member of the old crew???* I think Squee would have given Martha a lot to work with, he has very distinc speech patterns and character traits that would have been easy to capture. Besides, it's not like having a crewmember who can't die would be completely useless. Granted, it could still happen the next time we see Dominaria, but are they really going to include two comic relief characters (assuming Slimefoot isn't going to die in the boss fight)?

*Not counting Karn, who is a 'walker and not going to stick around, and Jhoira herself, who only was captain for a short time and had nothing to do with the classic crew.

Edit: And why does the Weatherlight not react to Karn's presence at all if it's still partly sentient? Like, Jhoira is its favourite but the golem who was literally a part of the ship once and fused with the Legacy Weapon is basically ignored?

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 271, 272, 273, 274, 275