It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heralds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

welcome back to mop-up time. we have FOUR THREADS LEFT. that's SEVENTEEN CARDS AND I'M DONE. so let's start on another one.

this cycle exists to solve a couple problems in Ossia. first of all, I found that I wanted 35 creatures at common, but since every tribal cycle had to be 10 cards wide, I had to find a cycle of creatures that had nothing to do with the tribal needs of the set. (there is a similar 5-card cycle at rare to balance out tribe representation) another issue was that, in its originally planned state, Ossia had 30 rare legends, taking up half of its rare slots. while this has since come down to 10 due to my spreading them out over the block I've committed to making, it's still a lot more legends than normal. this seemed like something I wanted to address.

these two needs came together to form a cycle of heralds, each of which gets better if you have a Legendary creature. to keep complexity down and avoid jiggling with keyword as-fan too much, I decided to make this a tight cycle that was vanilla until you got the Legend. they're kinda space-fillers, but they serve to point out another aspect of the set without really pushing it. they're a little on the weak side but if you find yourself with a Legend or two they may be worth it, and I think casual players might enjoy them. especially in (...ugh) EDH. they're all grey ogres because the 3-slot needs some ballooning.

they're flavored after legends who don't appear in the set, both for foreshadow-y purposes and because I wanted the mythics to be the same class as the set's legends so that we'd have mono-colored rare+s for all the race/class combinations.

Herald of Waves-
Creature-Elemental Advisor (U)
As long as you control a legendary creature, Herald of Waves gets +1/+1 and gains vigilance.
The Soul of Waves is Ossia's seas. It needs no introduction, for all have felt its touch.
2/2

Simi's Herald-
Creature-Faerie Assassin (U)
As long as you control a legendary creature, Simi's Herald gets +1/+1 and gains flying.
The Court forgets her. The dead do not.
2/2

Kilmek's Herald-
Creature-Bat Barbarian (U)
As long as you control a legendary creature, Kilmek's Herald gets +1/+1 and gains ": Regenerate Kilmek's Herald."
The Master of Screams clips his servants' wings, so they may not scheme against him.
2/2

Sselik's Herald-
Creature-Lizard Archer (U)
As long as you control a legendary creature, Sselik's Herald gets +1/+1 and gains first strike.
Sselik was born to lead in a home that will never to follow.
2/2

Meili's Herald-
Creature-Dryad Monk (U)
As long as you control a legendary creature, Meili's Herald gets +1/+1 and gains hexproof.
The Acolytes promise salvation in exchange for service.
2/2

simple, probably not all that playable but they serve a role and remind people that Ossia is a world of heroes, and really not everything has to be playable. also the elemental naming conventions broke the symmetry sorry.

next time we look at another non-tribal-based cycle, this time a set of answers to the block's marquee mechanic, Ships.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [FOS] Heralds
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:26 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Solid enough cards, but they're definitely not going to see EDH play. Eh, maybe the blue one, occasionally, in budget decks.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:15 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

not competitive, but I care about competitive EDH even less than I care about casual EDH.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Not any EDH, except for the "hurr it says legendary on the card" crowd, which I'm not sure really exists.

I don't feel the oomph.

What does the first line in Herald of Wave's flavor text even say.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I don't feel the oomph.

it's not supposed to be oomph-y. it's supposed to be a background cycle of uncommons that highlights an interesting aspect of the set not really addressed elsewhere without having a huge impact on how the set plays.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:48 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

razorborne wrote:
not competitive, but I care about competitive EDH even less than I care about casual EDH.

Heathen! I mean, even if you don't like the format you could give us some new toys to play with.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:54 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:

Heathen! I mean, even if you don't like the format you could give us some new toys to play with.

I gave you ten multicolored legends

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:58 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:

But then you said you didn't like us :( so that cancelled out.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
razorborne wrote:
TPmanW wrote:

But then you said you didn't like us :( so that cancelled out.

maybe if you played a less awful format this wouldn't be a problem.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:11 pm 

I like this cycle, although Im not a huge fan of the regenerate ability on the black one. it's a little jarring being the only activated ability. I assume youve already considered deathtouch and intimidate and didnt like them?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:19 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Ulcaster wrote:
I like this cycle, although Im not a huge fan of the regenerate ability on the black one. it's a little jarring being the only activated ability. I assume youve already considered deathtouch and intimidate and didnt like them?

yeah. deathtouch seems a bit weird on a 3/3, and I don't like intimidate in general so I'm using my platform as set creator to make it not exist. there's a decent amount of precedent for activated regeneration slotting into black's portion of an evergreen cycle. nightscape familiar, mortivore, augur of skulls, and others.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:02 pm 

The cycle is pretty sleek and I like it. Excuse my naivety when it comes to your set, but these seem like they would be fine at common?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:10 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Metropole wrote:
The cycle is pretty sleek and I like it. Excuse my naivety when it comes to your set, but these seem like they would be fine at common?

my main reason for making them uncommon is that common is just too crowded. it has to be doing a lot of the lifting for the tribal themes, and these don't really do that. common is where the theme lives, so cards that don't play to the theme don't really need to be there.

also, these interact exclusively with rares in the set, so putting them higher up means they'll clutter up limited pools where they're not super likely to be useful less.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:24 pm 

I don't like the names, since the cards operate without care for whom they accompany.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:34 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Good point. Maybe if they were just "followers" or "devotees" nobody would be lead to suspect they have a direct link.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:04 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

they don't entirely, in that the Legends are bi-lords for their race/class, and the heralds are the same race/class. sure, Sselik's Herald will happily pump itself up next to Chilik Whitewing, but it's gonna be happier next to Sselik 'cause he gives boosts to Lizards and Archers as well.

more importantly though I have no idea how to flavor the cycle without mentioning specific heroes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:22 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I think if these are uncommon, they can afford to have the ability even when you don't have a legend, and just get the +1/+1 when you do.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
I think if these are uncommon, they can afford to have the ability even when you don't have a legend, and just get the +1/+1 when you do.

probably so, but I'm trying to cut down a bit on board complexity since I've already got way too much of it, so letting them just be grey ogres unless they're turned on makes processing easier. I'm considering bumping the bonus to +2/+2 though, would that be too much?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:17 pm 

I don't think that would be too much.

I don't know, these do feel rather underwhelming. They look like commons you could pass up. They neither have the complexity nor the Limited impact (nor the problem in multiplicities) one would usually associate with non-commons.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

being uncommon isn't really about limited impact, or complexity. for instance, the acid-spewer dragon cycle is common, fairly simple in a world with megamorph, and fairly low impact. circle of elders exists. uncommon doesn't mean strong: a set needs its low picks, and they shouldn't all be commons. were I making stand-alone cards, I would agree that these need bolstering, but in the context of a set I'm ok with them not being all that strong. that said, I'm happy to bump up the "on" side, so I'll make them all +2/+2.

Like this post