It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Race Wars
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

so now we get to the mopping-up stage of the Ossian design process. we've done all three of the major thread chains, we've seen all our ships, in fact we've seen all but 27 cards. but, you know, we've gotta see those 27 cards too, right? so let's start on that.

so any good tribal set has to have some tribal hate. the problem is it's generally fairly narrow and not good unless you're against the specific thing. so I did a couple things: first, I tied them all to valid cards without the hate element, so they're additional riders rather than narrow hosers. second, I tied the common ones to races, since most limited decks will have a couple different races. I mean, the class-based ones will have at least 3, and may wind up running a couple off-class things that could be any race, giving you more opportunities to hit.

this cycle is mostly designed to be removal, and is generally pitched at being playable but not strong without the bonus and strong with it.

Bower Trap-
Instant (C)
Destroy target attacking creature. If that creature is a Djinn, gain life equal to its power.
"Serenity is not submission. You would do well to learn that."~Meili, to Temik Wildsong

as much as I could I tried to make these good counters to the relevant abilities. in this case, Assail means more attacking creatures, and the burn-spell nature of the mechanic means that gaining life becomes direct card advantage.

Warden's Call-
Instant (C)
Create a 1/1 white Gargoyle creature token. If an opponent controls a Lizard, create two of those tokens instead.
With one call, an army.

surprise blocker, or hey it's two surprise blockers if you need them against Elude. also the tokens can each pal up with a real creature to help take down larger Lizards. a couple of these will only care if an opponent controls a thing, because that's way easier. I'm ok with that.

Aberrant Gale-
Instant (C)
Counter target creature spell unless its controller pays . If it's a Troll spell, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard.
The Worldkin have no tolerance for excess of Blackrock.

is that worded clearly enough? anyway, Regrow means more spell-casting, and also less available mana, and exiling it means they can't Regrow again. it's a minor upside that's generally not great against non-Troll cards anyway, but it's good against them so yay.

Clearcut-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Land or Dryad
When Clearcut enters the battlefield, tap enchanted permanent.
Enchanted permanent doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
Prior to the war, the Djinn had never heard of "Conservation". To this day, they're still pretty sure it was meant as a joke.

so blue gets less removal than the others so I gave it this instead. I also considered a version that cost and made the enchanted permanent an Island. I might still switch. but the point is sneaking around Landform by hitting it in either state.

Shadowlash-
Sorcery (C)
Shadowlash deals 2 damage to target creature and you gain 2 life. If that creature is a Centaur, instead Shadowlash deals 4 damage and you gain 4 life.
"The Court sends its regards."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier

there's only one Centaur who will always survive this, although they have a surprising amount of varying-P/T things that may get up there. anyway, Volley is an aggressive mechanic so gaining some life is useful against it, and the Centaurs tend to be fairly small. I'm considering dropping Touch of Ashbark to 2 mana although that'd be really strong but anyway I don't want none of my black removal to be cheap so maybe I'll drop it to 2 and make it -1/-1 I don't know.

Banishing Blow-
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target untapped creature. If that creature is an Elemental, its controller loses 2 life.
"Leave it to a Troll to put out fires with a club."~Chilik Whitewing

this punishes Unveil players for waiting for the optimal time for the trigger. I wanted to make it an instant but then "untapped" doesn't matter, you just play it in their upkeep on whatever you want to kill. the life loss is incidental but a nice bonus against an often-defensive tribe. can I make this ?

Howling Blitz-
Instant (C)
Howling Blitz deals 4 damage to target creature, then it deals 4 damage to you unless that creature is a Wolf.
Nothing enrages a Blackwing like not fighting back.

this doesn't do anything to Convene 'cause all the variants I found that did were uggo and/or not common. still good, and a strong piece of removal.

Torchlight Volley-
Sorcery (C)
Torchlight Volley can't be countered.
If an opponent controls a Faerie, Torchlight Volley costs less to cast and.
Torchlight Volley deals 1 damage to each creature your opponents control.
"A world of shadows cannot abide the light."~Saurim the Cloudfoot

**** you Pester. also plays well against the largely small and token-y Faeries in general. the uncounterable thing is a nice upside against a blue tribe but also I wanted to justify the CMC 3 if they have no Faeries. it's a little long for a common, but I think it's ok. in real-world magic I might give it a shorter name since it appears three times in the text but oh well.

Uncivil Disagreement-
Sorcery (C)
Target creature you control fights target creature you don't control. The creature you control gains deathtouch and indestructible until end of turn if the creature you don't control is a Gargoyle.
Sselik's favorite weapon is diplomacy. That's why he always saves it for last.

I like the flavor shut up it's cute. anyway note that even if you were gonna win the fight anyway the upside is still useful since you it lasts for the rest of the turn. (say, through combat, for instance) the deathtouch is technically good against Hardened as it makes any damage lethal, but as I've mentioned before Hardened is kinda trinket text.

Shorewatch Beacon-
Instant (C)
Target creature gets +2/+2 and gains reach until end of turn. If a Bat is attacking you, untap the targeted creature.
"More come to our shores every day. When will we strike back and exterminate the threat at its source?"~Milovic, to Jestopher

I kinda wanted to do a plummet variant here, but sadly the Unspoken mean that not all Bats have flying so it would've been weird and awkward. anyway have a common pump spell. you can, of course, untap things that weren't tapped to Screech, but you can also untap things that were, so that's nice.

next time we take a look at a 5-card uncommon creature cycle. toodles!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [FOS] Race Wars
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

actually I think Torchlight Volley should be an instant

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:45 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
Asphyxiate says that is fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:07 pm 

Identity: Male
The short answer is, yes, in a vacuum it's fine. The long answer is, for this kind of card - noncompetitive, common removal -, "fine" is less determined by precedent than it is by how you want it to play in Limited. Things like how much removal does this color have access to, how easily does it hit things the format, how splashable is it and etc are to be taken into account if you're using this approach.

I'd also like to point out here that Warden's Call is a very neat design for the context it's in. Love it.

Howling Blitz's punishment seems a little too harsh to me. Sure, it's instant, mana-efficient, common removal, but... eh.

I agree that Torchlight Volley has more text than seems necessary for a common and for the card's desired role. I would seek to change it somehow, and there seem to be plenty of levers here.

Uncivil Disagreement's flavor text is brilliant. 10/10

Shorewatch Beacon... I find it slightly odd that the reach is disjointed from the untapping, but it's fine. Green answers to flying is a universal concern, more so than Green answers to Bats (even in a tribal set).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
For aberrant gale, try the wording on Dissipate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Azhorium wrote:
The short answer is, yes, in a vacuum it's fine. The long answer is, for this kind of card - noncompetitive, common removal -, "fine" is less determined by precedent than it is by how you want it to play in Limited. Things like how much removal does this color have access to, how easily does it hit things the format, how splashable is it and etc are to be taken into account if you're using this approach.
I think I'll go to for now and if playtesting shows black has too much removal I'll bump it up.

Azhorium wrote:
Howling Blitz's punishment seems a little too harsh to me. Sure, it's instant, mana-efficient, common removal, but... eh.
I considered a more expensive version that does less to you but the set is somewhat lacking in cheap, good removal right now so I pushed it.

Azhorium wrote:
I agree that Torchlight Volley has more text than seems necessary for a common and for the card's desired role. I would seek to change it somehow, and there seem to be plenty of levers here.
the problem is that, on commons, the most obvious lever (damage dealt) is untouchable. mass removal at common is really dangerous so it has to be left really low. I could make the damage unpreventable which shortens it to 2 abilities, but Faeries aren't really preventing damage anyway so it's a weird fit.

Azhorium wrote:
Uncivil Disagreement's flavor text is brilliant. 10/10
thanks

Cato wrote:
For aberrant gale, try the wording on Dissipate.
ugh multiple if statements? eeeeeeeeeeew

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:49 pm 

For Torchlight Volley, you could get rid of uncounterability or add it to the faerie clause, remove the mana cost reduction on the faerie clause and tinker the mana cost, make instant-speed playability a part of the faerie clause, make damage increase a part of the faerie clause, or a combination of these. Any of that sounds reasonable?

I agree, however, that increasing the damage with no restriction is dangerous.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Azhorium wrote:
For Torchlight Volley, you could get rid of uncounterability or add it to the faerie clause, remove the mana cost reduction on the faerie clause and tinker the mana cost, make instant-speed playability a part of the faerie clause, make damage increase a part of the faerie clause, or a combination of these. Any of that sounds reasonable?
the thing is, the Faerie clause needs to be cost reduction because it's designed to combat Pester, the Faerie mechanic, which increases costs. also, moving things into the Faerie clause doesn't solve the fact that it compares terribly to scouring sands when they don't have a Faerie. the point of the uncounterability is to help justify the 3 CMC when you can't get the cost reduction. I need something that can reasonably cost 3 while being a common pyroclasm variant.

the most obvious places to go are "can't be prevented" and "can't block", which I can roll into the damage ability, but neither of those is really all that relevant against Faeries, whereas "can't be countered" is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:19 pm 

These are mad clever. Disagreement has the best flavor text.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:26 pm 

The fact that it compares terribly to Scouring Sands is not a problem in itself (or at least not one that needs solving), but I can see where you're coming from. You've established that:

1. It will deal 1 damage to all of your opponents' creatures (and no more, as befits a common);
  2. The faerie clause will contain a cost reduction, to counterbalance Pester;
  3. The card needs to be comparable to Scouring Sands while the faerie clause is not met.

(1) and (2) already guarantee that Torchlight Volley will have at least two abilities. On the other hand, if Torchlight Volley's CMC is three or more, then (3) kicks in and a third ability needs to be added. Meaning if we keep the base CMC at at least three, then there's really not much that can be done to reduce text. Which is not the end of the world of course, but yeah, under the constraints above, there's little that can be done.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:29 pm 

You could make it an instant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shazzeh wrote:
You could make it an instant.

honestly I kinda thought I did. whoops. that might actually be enough, honestly: as Azhorium points out removal varies a lot by format, and mass removal is kind of pretty annoying in a tribal set so it not being insane isn't the end of the world.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:04 am 

That was an oversight. It's a simple solution. I agree it might be enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:46 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

it almost completely knocks it out of NGA Constructed potential since it can't compete with Devil's Whim but that's ok it's a common.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:46 am 
Conqueror of Eldangard

"Clearcut" sounds a little too destructive for a card that just keeps dryads/lands tapped.
Aberrant Gale's flavour text is missing a word.
Banishing Blow is a little weird, being somewhat offbeat for black. I think you could drop it to and still be fine.
Torchlight Volley has a sentence ending in "and". Did you cut something out but leave the "and", or is there supposed to be more?
Overall, some very well-designed hosers.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:58 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
"Clearcut" sounds a little too destructive for a card that just keeps dryads/lands tapped.
claustrophobia does a similar thing and is flavored as literally being buried alive.
TPmanW wrote:
Aberrant Gale's flavour text is missing a word.
accurate
TPmanW wrote:
Banishing Blow is a little weird, being somewhat offbeat for black. I think you could drop it to and still be fine.
Dr. D points out Asphyxiate, which I didn't even know exists. but anyway black gets basically every "destroy target {quality} creature" variant. besides "attacking", I guess.
TPmanW wrote:
Torchlight Volley has a sentence ending in "and". Did you cut something out but leave the "and", or is there supposed to be more?
the former.
TPmanW wrote:
Overall, some very well-designed hosers.
thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:14 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also we are now 17 cards away from having a complete Ossia.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:42 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Just word it as "If a troll spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard."

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I like Clearcut. Cato has the right wording about the counterspell, I think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
Just word it as "If a troll spell is countered this way, exile it instead of putting it into its owner's graveyard."

oh hey neat. thanks, that works.

Like this post