It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:20 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Dragonroost is a tropical island paradise full of lush forests, beautiful lakes, and, of course, an active volcano. stalking its shores, keeping watchful guard over the waves, are the Archers, Dragonroost's last line of defense.

Scaleclad Fomenter-
Creature-Lizard Archer (R)
Whenever another Lizard you control attacks, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
Whenever Scaleclad Fomenter attacks put a +1/+1 counter on each Lizard you control.
"The Oneblade cannot hold them forever. War calls, and Dragonroost must answer."
5/5

this was originally gonna be smaller and have just the first ability but have it affect itself, but I only had one rare 6-drop so I made another one. it's one of the weaker ones in this cycle on its own, but it can be pretty brutal with some Lizard pals. plays well with Elude, helping bump your things out of easy trade range, letting them take out both blockers or even be big enough to survive the double-block entirely. also pump and evasion are good friends anyway. was gonna call this Shoreline Instigator but then I remembered I already have an Argent Instigators and I don't want to repeat my nouns.

but beyond its shores, the Isle of Fangs hosts the greatest navy in the archipelago, run by its fierce and fearless Pirates. Dragonroost received the first boats at the start of the war, and they have learned quickly to make them faster and better than any other Isle.

Whitesand Engineer-
Creature-Lizard Pirate (R)
Haste
: You may put a Ship card with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of Pirates you control from your hand onto the battlefield.
"Cut the sail here... A few boards there... I think we might finish early!"
1/1

strictly better than raging goblin? maybe! technically not probably 'cause the goblin has some extremely relevant creature typeage. also there's like four other strictly-better rage-gobs so whatever. one of the nice things about Pirates is that their combo-y nature lets me mark a more clear delineation between how the races approach it. Lizards, for instance, are the best at making Ships, between this and Beastwell Shipwright. the delineation isn't perfect, and that's intentional, but it lets me give each race its own sort of feel on top of the class feel. a Pirate deck will likely run all three happily, but one that leans a little harder on Lizards may wind up playing and looking different from one based on Elementals. also this may be too good, but Ships need help and early on it may not even have the right targets.

and of course we have the notoriously wanderlust-stricken Scouts, itinerant explorers bent on seeing the world. all Lizards are naturally curious, exploring the Isle they grew up on at a young age. the Scouts of Dragonroost are notorious for the tales they tell of the places they've seen, as well as stories of their home to strangers.

Saurian Preacher-
Creature-Lizard Scout (M)
Elude (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
Whenever Saurian Preacher deals combat damage to a player, gain control of target creature that player controls.
It's never hard to find an audience when you're telling tales of Dragons.
3/3

I went back and forth on whether I wanted this to Sower or just straight steal, but I decided it's more interesting if all your work isn't just undone by a lightning bolt. you're already trying to make an unprotected 3/3 for 5 work, so why not. anyway creature theft obviously works great with Elude as each creature you steal is one less they have to double-block with. the Scout deck can also try to make sure they only ever have one blocker with tricks like Narrin (coming up) so that you can just keep stealing.

and of course you can't bring up the Scouts of Dragonroost without talking about Narrin Swiftpad, the most famous explorer on the archipelago. to quote the planeswalker's guide:

razorborne wrote:
Narrin Swiftpad: perhaps the most celebrated and beloved Lizard of Dragonroost, Narrin is the first sailor on all of Ossia. when the first boat landed on Dragonroost, he leaped in with no hesitation and pushed off to see the world. he sailed by all the Isles, landing on those that he could, before turning his sights to the expanses of the Infinite Sea. he has sailed further out than any other being alive, bringing back fantastical tales of great whirlpools and giant sea beasts that no one believes but that the Lizards adore. he denies having seen a waterfall off the end of the world, but since no one had asked him about one that only fueled speculation across Dragonroost. he has no real concern for the War of the Isles, although he does hope it resolves itself one way or another so he can get about exploring the remaining Isles. but until then he is content to sail the uncharted waters long past the only known land.

Narrin Swiftpad-
Legendary Creature-Lizard Scout (R)
Elude (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
Whenever you cast a Lizard spell, tap or untap target permanent.
Whenever you cast a Scout spell, target permanent doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
"You've seen amazing things," Kiir argued. "Why make up stories?" Narrin simply grinned. "Why not?"
2/2

Narrin doesn't give a ****. anyway, I gave him elude 'cause it felt right for him to have evasion. it throws off the keyword balance a bit but rares don't hit the as-fan hard, and one of the Centaur rares has volley anyway. I went with spell-casting over etb a) to let you untap your lands for mana, and b) to differentiate a bit from Screech. anyway Narrin helps keep your opponent just off-balance enough that your Scouts can take them out before they can stabilize.

and that's the last heroes thread! folks we are 27 cards from a complete Ossia, and only 5 threads left. next we take a look at a big 10-card removal cycle at common. then we do some other things who knows what. I mean, I do, but besides that.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:23 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Imma add a "really" to Narrin's flavor text when I copy it over THIS IS A BIG DEAL

also WHERE WILL I ADD IT

MYSTERY

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:27 am 

Identity: Male
right in the middle

"You've seen amazing things," Kiir argued. "Why make really up stories?" Narrin simply grinned. "Why not?"

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shazzeh wrote:
right in the middle

"You've seen amazing things," Kiir argued. "Why make really up stories?" Narrin simply grinned. "Why not?"

I need to make better mysteries

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

it's also a little weird that, in effect, Engineer is bounded unlike other lords in the cycle, but since the highest CMC ship right now is Blackrock Dreadnaught at 8, I think it's ok. if you get more than 8 Pirates you likely have more things going on and don't need your 1-drop to be that relevant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:23 pm 

I want there to be a Creature - Pirate Ship so that he can put that down on turn 1 and go nuts with the Pirate count.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I want there to be a Creature - Pirate Ship so that he can put that down on turn 1 and go nuts with the Pirate count.
well ship is an artifact type, but who knows, Artifact Creature-Pirate Ship is a possibility.

Like this post