It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Chirom
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Chirom is perhaps the scariest place on Ossia. home to bloodthirsty bats and ruled by savage feudalism, the Isle of Caves is a dark place in more ways than one. at the head of their brutality are the savage Barbarians of the Blackwings, brutal deathdealers bred to kill.

Blackwing Warshrieker-
Creature-Bat Barbarian (R)
Flying
Whenever Blackwing Warshrieker attacks, you may put a Bat creature card from your hand onto the battlefield tapped and attacking.
There is no darker sound on the Isles than the howl of a Bat who has found its prey.
2/1

preeminent captain says white but like, goblin lackey you guys. Bats aren't a hugely expensive tribe (that have one 5-drop subrare in Ossia) so it seemed like a good place for this. I originally wanted a better body and a real Lackey trigger, but with Screech that didn't work. this works much better. plus it's fun as heck to drop Blackwing Deathdealer and swing for the face. I went back and forth between 2/1 for and 2/1 Haste for but Rush said this one, and the latter is somehow simultaneously weaker and less fair-feeling so I went with this one.

the Bats are served by their underclass, the mutant crossbreed Unspoken. the Unspoken are wingless and sterile, resulting from the mating of a Blackwing and a Whitewing. however, beneath the veneer of total subservience, the Unspoken have begun to coalesce into a revolutionary force known as the Undersociety. while for now they wait patiently, the time may soon come that Chirom has a slave class no more.

Unspoken Legion-
Creature-Bat Minion (R)
, Sacrifice a Minion: Return Unspoken Legion from your graveyard to the battlefield. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
While the Masters watch their shores, the greatest threat to Chirom plots in its depths.
4/4

one of the biggest issues the Minion deck faces is that it wants to get its sacrifice triggers but those require ditching card advantage. Legion helps solve that by trading itself 1-for-1 with lesser Minions like Desiccated Murmurer to get you the triggers you want while giving you a powerful recursive body. you can even chain two together with like Desecrator Corporal or something if you want.

and of course we can't forget the Isle of Caves' shock troops, the quick and vicious Whitewings. while they are smaller in stature than the Blackwings, the Whitewings are no slouches in violence, making up for their size with numbers, wit, and ferocity.

Whitewing Suppressor-
Creature-Bat Nomad (M)
Flying, screech (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.)
Opponents can't untap more than one creature during their untap steps.
"The other Isles cannot compete with our cruelty. We've simply had too much practice."~Chilik Whitewing
2/3

and none are more feared on the Isle of Caves than the Whitewing Master of Screams, Chilik. to quote the planeswalker's guide:

razorborne wrote:
Chilik Whitewing: Chilik is the Whitewing Master of Screams. perhaps half Kilmek's size, very few would assume her to be his equal, but those who serve the Masters know that there is no one in Ossia that Kilmek fears more. her savage cunning is the greatest weapon the army of Chirom has. a long-time veteran of the Great Deep, Chilik often misses the days of exploring the caves below, wishing the Isles would leave them alone long enough for them to crack the mysteries of the caves. to that end, she helps Kilmek wage war, but in truth she would rather be deep in the heart of Chirom with a pack of Whitewings.

Chilik Whitewing-
Legendary Creature-Bat Nomad (R)
Flying, haste, first strike
Whenever Chilik or another Nomad enters the battlefield under your control, it deals 2 damage to target opponent.
Whenever Chilik or another Bat you control dies, you gain 2 life.
"Only a fool throws away resources for reasons as flimsy as morality, Kilmek."
2/2

I know life gain is primarily a Monk thing but I let this one bleed go through 'cause it's good. I figured it should count itself 'cause hell if Chilik isn't getting in on the fun. the art probably wouldn't show it explicitly but yes the flavor text is hinting at bat cannibalism. or battibalism, as I believe it's technically called. only hinting though, people are free to interpret it as a general comment on war strategy. anyway combination of good body and decent abilities. balefire liege is my power comparison. cheaper but less flexibly costed, probably better body overall but doesn't have the pump ability and hits for less.

anyway that's Chirom! last we will visit Dragonroost and see what it's up to. until then... toodles!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

bwomp

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:29 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Dangit Razor. I don't know how many times I told you, the correct term is "canabatlism". God, some squirrels.

In any event these are pretty neat. Are there a lot of legends that are offcolour from the rest of their island?
The Suppressor is pretty brutal, but not any more so than say, Linvala. It works at mythic.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
In any event these are pretty neat. Are there a lot of legends that are offcolour from the rest of their island?

Chirom is both red and white. it's also black, but Chilik isn't off-color, she's just only two of the three colors because she's also a Nomad and Nomads aren't black.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:12 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Ok. I got the impression somehow that the factions were two coloured.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

TPmanW wrote:
Ok. I got the impression somehow that the factions were two coloured.

the classes are two-colored, the Isles are three. the classes are the primary mechanical factions, but the races are the primary flavor ones.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also can I make suppressor bigger? looking at Linvala, she's a 3/4, but she's not exactly comparable. but could Suppressor be a 3/3 at least?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:03 am 

Shouldn't suppressor be mutual?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

don't see why. that runs counter to the spread-out aggro strategy Nomads tend to like and plays poorly with Screech since it's a creature-based mechanic that requires you to keep dumping out creatures.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:10 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Screech seems bad on a tribe with that much flying. Isn't the point of evasion that you don't care if they have blockers?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:33 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
Screech seems bad on a tribe with that much flying. Isn't the point of evasion that you don't care if they have blockers?

the races aren't really played together like that. Screech works fine when two thirds of your Nomad deck is Centaurs and Elementals, or to get your Barbarian Djinns and Trolls through. also bats aren't all flying.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:15 am 

razorborne wrote:

don't see why. that runs counter to the spread-out aggro strategy Nomads tend to like and plays poorly with Screech since it's a creature-based mechanic that requires you to keep dumping out creatures.

I thought Linvala was mutual, and thought this was too oppressive.
I guess it wasn't, really.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:21 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Screech works fine with flying. Your opponent is only going to have so many flying blockers after all. The screech effects will let your more fragile flyers get a hit in.

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:31 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: He
The mutual version of oppressor exists at 4 with that Bant Angel. Either card disrupts aggro, but this one is easier to cast, combos with screech to disrupt blocking, and is much better in a race. The Angel on the other hand was printed in a set with Exalted.

My gut tells me that it is undercosted, but its a development issue that's hard to pin down.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Stoic Angel also has vigilance and is bigger, but I take your point. I'll leave it at 2/3 for now.

Like this post