It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Telimar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:22 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Telimar, on its surface, is a peaceful place. in fact it is the only isle containing representatives of both Ossia's leading spiritual factions. first are the Monks, tasked with maintaining Telimar's spiritual beauty. many Orders serve this goal, from the Acolytes who maintain the system of Groves to the Dovecatchers who cultivate great scenes of beauty by sculpting the growth of trees to the Dewdrinkers, lofty dreamers who craft visions of utopias.

Resplendent Dewdrinker-
Creature-Dryad Monk (R)
Vigilance
, : You gain 1 life for each land and each Dryad you control.
"Learn what has been to see what yet may come."~Oath of the Dewdrinkers
2/2

one of the most important things I wanted in a Dryad lord was that it didn't care if your Dryads were currently creatures or lands. I could've done something that gave a bonus to each, but I really wanted it to feel like it just didn't matter. so I knew I needed something to count the two and add them together. since the card was going to be a Monk, life gain seemed a natural choice. it was going to be a vanilla 2/3 but at the last second I switched it to a vigilant 2/2. I could be convinced to switch it back. it's no Wellwisher, but Wellwisher is a little nuts and almost certainly couldn't be common today.

but while the monks deal with lofty spirituality, there is another class on Telimar that takes its faith from closer to home: the Druids. the Druids speak to the trees and the earth, representing the interests of the Isle itself.

Wandervein Tiller-
Creature-Dryad Druid (R)
: Add to your mana pool. Spend this mana only to cast Druid spells and activate abilities of Druids.
"If only the other Isles could see how much work our quiet sophistication is."
1/1

from the moment I decided the Druids would be ramp.dec I knew I wanted this. I tried to convince myself I could do an 0/1 for , but, like, I absolutely can't. no way. that would be absurd. I even tried to get Rush to convince me I could, but no. anyway this is still savage ramp. it can land you a Stoneskin Acolyte turn 3 and then give you all the mana you need to regenerate it every turn after. it's fairly vulnerable in constructed, but in limited it's scary so it's rare.

but not all of Telimar is wrapped up in spirituality. as our Tiller friend points out, maintaining the complexities of a rich forest afloat in an inhospitable, undrinkable sea is no small feat. all that work has to be done by someone, and that task largely falls to the Minions. many Orders are Minions in one way or another, performing the menial tasks necessary to keep the Isle running.

Wormriddled Branchcaster-
Creature-Dryad Minion (M)
You can't draw cards.
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may search your library for a card with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of Swamps you control, reveal it, and put it into your hand.
Swampform (, : This creature becomes a Swamp land. You may pay any time you could cast a sorcery to end this effect.)
"Before all else, we serve Telimar."~Oath of the Branchcasters
3/3

so Landform was hard to make a mythic for. it's a valuable workhorse mechanic but it lends itself poorly to flash. (and Flash) Rush and I spent days yelling about this. in the end the idea that fell out was an ability you didn't always want on. the ability could be mythic and the Landform could be an off switch, and after some bouncing it settled on a Maralen of the Mornsong-type thing. there's some neat timing stuff involved in forming up in response to the trigger, which gets you a bigger card and gives you your draw for the turn, but since you have to keep soaking a bunch of mana into that it's ok. that's also why I moved Swampform to the bottom, so you'd see it after reading the rest. it also counts swamps which helps the landform feel connected instead of a random add-on. I went with Swamps instead of lands for balance and because black has a history of being self-centered like that so a little help is good. in reality it wouldn't have reminder text obv.

one thing I'm not sure about is whether it's good or bad that it can always fetch swamps. I think putting "non-land" encourages you to turn it off and wait for the draw sometimes, but I'm not sure if the interaction is cute or ugly, so opinions would be appreciated.

but when one talks of the Minions of Telimar, one is rarely thinking of the Branchcasters. no, the main event is the Desecrators, brutal warriors feared across the archipelago. and perhaps the most feared of all is Kimil. to quote the planeswalker's guide:

razorborne wrote:
Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator: the Desecrators are the most feared Order on Telimar. unlike the others, the Desecrators are forbidden from joining other Orders. in order to become a Desecrator, a Dryad must burn down their Home Tree, severing all bonds with the woods and submitting their lives to the defense of Telimar. the Desecrators have nothing to live for, so they serve fearlessly and unquestioningly. they are savagely efficient warriors, but the loss of their Home Trees strips them of much of their will and cunning. only the elders, drawn from other Orders to serve, retain some of their minds: the rest only serve. their Council is made up of such converts from the other Great Orders, who gave up their lives to serve their homes. Kimil had been a Nightwalker, but after seeing the danger her home was in, she joined the Desecrators to keep it safe. she does not care for war, but neither does she care to end it. her only goal is to keep Telimar safe, and avenge transgressions against it a thousandfold.

Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator-
Legendary Creature-Dryad Minion (R)
, Sacrifice three Minions: Exile target non-land permanent.
Whenever Kimil or another non-token Dryad you control dies, create a 1/3 white Dryad Minion creature token.
Many mistake her motivation as rage. In truth, Kimil does not hate those she hunts down and kills. She feels nothing at all toward them. They are merely obstacles between her and her home's safety, and she knows but one way to deal with obstacles.
3/2

before anyone says it, yes, I remember Teysa, Orzhov Scion. I probably remember her better than you. but it fit so damn perfectly that I decided to let it slide. I changed the stats and let it utter end instead of unmake in exchange for adding mana, it replaces itself, and it makes a different token, but I know those are cosmetic changes. (although in a world of Ships, hitting non-creature permanents is a big deal.) but the design fits, and if there's one thing I've learned from MaRo it's that you shouldn't let similarities to past designs stop you from using the best available option. Kimil will play differently than Teysa because Dryads and Minions are very different from the Orzhov.

I'm also again not entirely sure on the inclusion of "non-land". I added it this time for safety because I don't want this throwing around stone rains, but it's a heavy cost so maybe it wouldn't be the end of the world, and it'd be nice flavorfully? but probably unfun.

anyway, we're almost done! next stop, Chirom! woo-woo!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Wormriddled needs a shuffle clause. Players love shuffling.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:44 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Wormriddled needs a shuffle clause. Players love shuffling.

you are correct

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:09 pm 

Land transforming ability is fresh

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mata Hari wrote:

thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I don't really like the whole dynamic of Branchcaster's ability. I'd rather it either happen in the draw step and just not let the player have their cake and eat it too, or just be obnoxiously clear about it and trigger during the end step. (Although that would really only accelerate it by one turn.)
I wonder if it would be okay for Wandervein Tiller to just say "Spend this mana on druids", or if that has any ambiguity.
Mata Hari wrote:

I'm contemplating whether it's worth making a Medaka Box reference.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:15 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I don't really like the whole dynamic of Branchcaster's ability. I'd rather it either happen in the draw step and just not let the player have their cake and eat it too, or just be obnoxiously clear about it and trigger during the end step. (Although that would really only accelerate it by one turn.)
I could see moving it to end step. if I did that I'd definitely want it as non-land though to balance out the power jump. but it's also nice that it doesn't have to wait a turn to do things, which is a big power-killer in constructed.

Mown wrote:
I wonder if it would be okay for Wandervein Tiller to just say "Spend this mana on druids", or if that has any ambiguity.
well, there's triggered abilities, but I don't mind that. it's not how these effects are usually worded though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Of course not. It was more a theoretical question.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
Of course not. It was more a theoretical question.

I think it's ambiguous as to whether it means just spells or spells and abilities.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Rush points out that eot tutoring means you can't react to what they do on their turn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

I also suggested that it tutor to the top of your deck to avoid the cheating, but raz likes cheating, so such things shall remain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ok so final form on Branchcaster: gonna keep upkeep but add non-land to encourage you to form up in response to the trigger, since as Rush points out otherwise you just leave it, tutor a swamp, play it, and get the thing you wanted next turn, since you likely won't have mana to cast it right now anyway.

Like this post