It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Epala
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:15 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Epala is a cruel, scheming realm. inhabited by the conniving Fae, the complex political world of the Isle of Shadows is impenetrable from the outside and inscrutable from within. none represent this cunning, devious nature better than the Assassins, perhaps Epala's prime politicians.

Speaker For The Court-
Creature-Faerie Assassin (R)
Flying
Whenever Speaker For The Court or another non-token Faerie creature you control dies, create two 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens.
"There is no end to Epala's forces, nor to its retribution."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier
1/1

this is one of the weaker ones in this cycle by body, a 1/1 flier for 3 isn't a great deal even if it replaces itself with some ground dorks. but if you can keep it alive and get your other Faeries going and dying, this can make a lot of tokens. it's a bigger risk than some of them as a first pick, since a lot of them can just convert into sidepieces for their class decks or even off-tribe decks just fine, but this is not a particularly strong card if you don't have Faeries around. it's not unplayable, and if you pick it and go Assassins you'll absolutely run it, but if you find yourself in, say, Barbarians I'm not sure how worthwhile it is.

Epala keeps a careful eye on the rest of Ossia through a deep and powerful network of Scouts serving as spies. while they haven't been able to infiltrate every Isle, they hide away on ships across the peninsula, reporting back everything they can to the Bounded Court so Epala can best prepare for the war ahead.

Spywatch Ringleader-
Creature-Faerie Scout (R)
Flying
Whenever a Scout creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter that spell or ability unless its controller pays , where X is the number of Scouts you control.
Nothing escapes the eyes of the Court.
1/1

I wanted to find a way to make this more aggressive but there's no good drawbacks that draw no attention to themselves and fit so I figured I'd just eat the loss of this being a first pick. not every rare has to be, you know? it's still good, and the smaller body makes it potentially a less valuable removal target which makes it more likely to reach critical mass. also, plays well alongside Pester to make removal just uncastable. rawr.

and of course there's Epala's caretakers, the Druids. mainly keeping to the Greylands, the Druids maintain the dark fens of Epala's surface. they are the closest thing the Fae have to spirituality, a deeply pragmatic sort of religion. they hold Epala paramount, and will fight fiercely if their boggy home is threatened.

Greyland Savant-
Creature-Faerie Druid (M)
Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)
Other creatures you control have Pester.
When Greyland Savant enters the battlefield, create five 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens.
"Our ancestors sleep beneath the Greylands. They will not let Epala fall."
1/1

a 1/1 for 6? in green? at mythic? yes! this effectively locks your opponent out of noncreatures if they can't stop it. but then it's only a 1/1 so it's not that hard to stop. Pester is one of two keywords in the set that actually stacks well, so it seemed like a logical place to go. will some people hate this card? yeah probably. is that their problem? absolutely. besides, you can always just run some Archers to snipe it out. and not that I designed it for this, but considering the broken, combo-y nature of NGA Constructed, maybe this'll even see play there if the mana's workable.

and what would this look at Epala be without a glance at its de facto leader, Kiber? to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
Kiber the Stout: a Leprechaun and the current presumed leader of the Bounded Court, Kiber commands great respect on the Isle of Shadows. in his youth, he fell from a tree while trying to climb to the Canopy, shattering his right leg. since then he has walked with a cane and kept to the Greylands, preaching the avoidance of the Canopy and the dangerous Sun. he is a spiritual leader on Epala, deeply in tune with the marshes and bogs, channeling them to perform great magic. it is said that Kiber hears what the swamps hear, and on Epala the swamps hear everything.

Kiber The Stout-
Legendary Creature-Faerie Druid (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target Faerie card from your graveyard to your hand.
: Untap all lands and all other Druids you control.
"Epala needs no other Isle."
2/3

I was originally gonna let you cast Faeries from your yard but I figured next to Regrow that was weird. so I dropped the cost and made it a disentomb trigger. I'm not sure if the last ability is too strong without Druids, but I like it so I'm sticking with it. hypothetically it's for the ones who tap for mana, but if you untap some who attacked then hey that's cool. also it's worth noting that neither of the scaling Faerie lords in the set interact with the tokens, which I think is for the best so they're not vastly superior to the other races.

anyway that's Epala and the Fae. our next stop is Telimar, the Isle of Arbors, to check in with the Dryads. and away!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:51 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Greyland Savant is not okay.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
Greyland Savant is not okay.

ok

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:59 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Speaker for the Court: Good name if you lower-case the t. (Capitalizing rules are stupid, but you already know that.) We already talked a little about this, but I'm slightly wary of it getting the death trigger from itself. I don't think it's crazily overpowered in that guise, but I think it's a reasonable drawback to give it, sort of like how Scion of Oona doesn't protect itself. I like the imposing nature of the flavor.

Spywatch Ringleader: It seems I've used my Scion of Oona reference too soon! Pester is gonna be so annoying with this thing around. With it and one fae with pester, suddenly my Lightning Bolt costs . With two pester fae, it's . Yeesh. By itself, it's rather the proper and powerful bailiff.

Greyland Savant: Holy extra mana batman! This is one of those designs that makes me reconsider the Force Spike version of pester over the Sphere of Resistance one you're currently using. I really wish this were less over the top. It's not that difficult to sneak this through a wall of counters, and other than permanents hat also function as sweepers, this just shuts everything down too much. It feels like this is an extremely easy way to just stop the opponent from ever playing spells again. This will of course be format dependent, and no format this exists in as a playable card is gonna go creatureless if it can help it, so in that regard I get it and accept it. But creatureless decks are pretty much impossible where this is good.

Kiber The Stout: Infinite mana combos are cool. I dig it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Greyland Savant: Holy extra mana batman! This is one of those designs that makes me reconsider the Force Spike version of pester over the Sphere of Resistance one you're currently using. I really wish this were less over the top. It's not that difficult to sneak this through a wall of counters, and other than permanents hat also function as sweepers, this just shuts everything down too much. It feels like this is an extremely easy way to just stop the opponent from ever playing spells again. This will of course be format dependent, and no format this exists in as a playable card is gonna go creatureless if it can help it, so in that regard I get it and accept it. But creatureless decks are pretty much impossible where this is good.

there are basically two formats Savant exists in: Ossia Block Limited/Constructed, in which every deck will have plenty of creatures and there's a whole tribe dedicated to pinging with them, and NGA Constructed, where 6-drops don't matter.

anyway, creatureless decks almost all pack a good amount of counters, which despite your claims it is difficult to sneak a sorcery-speed 6-drop by. maybe you can get there with support from other Pesterers driving up costs to push it through, but then it's not a card, it's a whole deck, and that deck loses to pileofbears.dec, so I'm not sure how plausible that is. you can't just toss this into a random deck and expect to be immune to spells.

Like this post