It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Milor
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:12 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

the Elementals of Milor are cautious. guarded behind their fiery Veil, they plot and plan, preparing for what is to come while risking as little as possible. at the heart of those schemes lie the Advisors, guiding Milor carefully towards victory.

Windkin Watchgale-
Creature-Elemental Advisor (R)
Flying
, Return an Elemental you control to your hand: Draw a card.
They survey the seas through the eyes of storms.
2/1

get it? anyway, hard-to-kill dork with some card advantage and oh hey does it reset Unveil why yes, yes it does. I went back and forth on if this should be a 2/1 for or a 2/3 for , I'm also realizing looking through my archives that I need to loosen some color restrictions in the rares in general, whoops, anyway thoughts on if this should be 3 or 4 with the appropriate body are welcome.

the second group on Milor are the Nomads. from the meandering Earthkin to the ruthless Lightkin to the mysterious Goldkin, the Nomads are consummate wanderers, traveling Milor in search of... well, no one knows beyond the walls of the Crystalline Chamber. but one thing is certain: they cannot be stopped.

Jagged Macadam-
Creature-Elemental Nomad (R)
Jagged Macadam has protection from converted mana cost X or less, where X is the number of other Nomads you control.
Each stone both weapon and shield.
2/1

credit to Rush for the basic design. it's also really hard to keep naming an inherently plural species but such is life. anyway we went back and forth on if this should count itself, but my NGA Constructed experience against Lord Krill, Ravenblight Templar reminded me how awful it is to play against an aggressively costed dork who's protected from all your stuff, so I erred on the side of caution.

and, of course, there is the Isle of Fire's guardians, the Pirates. patrolling within the borders of the Veil of Milor and striking out as necessary, the Flamekin, Goldkin, and even the occasional Windkin endeavor to keep the Isle safe from invaders.

Argent Instigators-
Creature-Elemental Pirate (M)
Haste
Unveil - When Argent Instigators attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it and take an extra turn after this one. At the beginning of that turn's end step, you lose the game.
Even the enigmatic Worldkin dare not contemplate the Hand of Gold.
3/1

final fortune with a body? sure, why not! this is a perfect Unveil trigger in that you almost never actually want it the first turn you could get it. it works well with Pirates, too, who want to build up their Ships until they start taking huge turns every turn, at which point you can cash your Instigators for the last one you need. it's also a 3-powered two-drop for blocking purposes, if that interests you. Haste is for cuteness mostly but also to make it a better topdeck because hey mythic. it does mean you can hold it in hand until you need it if you want but I'm ok with that.

and who leads Milor's mighty navy? hard to say, really, but the majority of it is made up by facets of the Heart of Flame. to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
The Heart of Flames: the Flamekin are the most interested of the Worldkin in going out into Ossia. they have taken quickly to sailing, dominating a landscape once ruled by the Wavekin alone. the Flamekin despise the Wavekin, and the Heart of Flames are no different, brashly opposing the Soul of Waves' actions. they don't care for peace, but the long, slow strategic ploys of the Soul of Waves hold no interest to them. the Flamekin will happily attack a vessel that comes too near them, but have no interest in expanding Milor's borders.

The Heart Of Flames-
Legendary Creature-Elemental Pirate (R)
: Look at the top X cards of your library, where X is the number of Pirates you control. You may reveal a Ship card from among them and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.
Tap three untapped Elementals you control: Untap The Heart of Flames.
They watch through a hundred thousand burning eyes at a world ready to ignite.
3/5

random order so people aren't fussing over minor details, since it can dig through fast enough that the order could matter. basically designed as a machine gun to take all the Ships out of your deck and drop them into your hand, rapidly building up the largest navy in Ossia. while it's not a major focus, I have put some thought into how I want different races within a class to play as their own decks, and the Elemental Pirates are the slowest but most powerful of them. the Djinn and Lizards hit harder faster, but given time the Elementals become absolutely unstoppable, swinging with one guy and like ten ships. and yes, this guy is Beastwell Shipwright's best friend. also, gives you something to do with all those Elementals who don't want to attack just yet.

so that's Milor! next we stop by the shadowy Epala and see what the Fae are up to. allons-y!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:24 am 

Identity: Male
Windkin Watchgale seems like it's too expensive to be relevant outside of casual. I think it would be most fun as a Snapping Drake.

Jagged Macadam is cool. Has NGA Constructed potential.

I think Argent Instigators is too good (there's something you don't hear me say often). If you already have a bunch of dorks in your red deck, especially evasive dorks like Knifedancer Outlaw, you can drop Argent Instigators and set up a 20+ life point swing over the course of your next turn. Being a hasty creature that attacks for 3 makes it a hell of a lot better than Final Fortune.

The Heart of Flames enables one of the funniest Commander decks in the history of the format. I look forward to playing with and against it.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:35 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Windkin Watchgale seems like it's too expensive to be relevant outside of casual. I think it would be most fun as a Snapping Drake.
well, first of all 2-power fliers for 3 are basically always good in limited. but I'm not opposed to bumping it to 4. do you really think I can get away with 3/2?

I think Argent Instigators is too good (there's something you don't hear me say often). If you already have a bunch of dorks in your red deck, especially evasive dorks like Knifedancer Outlaw, you can drop Argent Instigators and set up a 20+ life point swing over the course of your next turn. Being a hasty creature that attacks for 3 makes it a hell of a lot better than Final Fortune.
yeah, it's definitely scary, but it's mythic so I pushed it. Final Fortune has never been all that good anyway. I could move it to if it's that big a deal but I kinda like it being that strong.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post