It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Kemil
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Kemil is a dangerous place, with rampaging herds roaming the infamous Redgrass Plain and exiled Herdless hiding out among the Ringpeaks. the Centaurs' lust for war is matched only by their wanderlust, leading to great conflicts across the Isle, spearheaded by the dangerous Nomads.

Restless Herdmare-
Creature-Centaur Nomad (R)
Haste, first strike, volley Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player.)
Other Centaurs you control have volley.
Thousands wait in Saurim's long shadow.
2/1

I really wanted to distribute the keywords evenly, but this fit really well. it's even in the most aggressive of the Centaur classes! come on. Volley stacks perfectly, unlike all the others. except Pester, but Pester is a weird thing to lord out. anyway, the Centaurs are Zoo colors and this is a pretty Zoo card. the flavor text went through some iterations about negotiating with Centaurs but I couldn't get the wording right so I went with this instead. yay!

but when you think Kemil, of course, the first thing you think is bows and arrows. well, you would if you were a resident of Ossia, anyway. or read my write-up. anyway, of course, the heart of the Isle of Mares is its Archers. every Centaur is raised on a bow and arrow. even the devotees of the Temple are consummate bowfolk. but what about those who devote their lives to the craft?

Ringpeak Huntress-
Creature-Centaur Archer (R)
Ringpeak Huntress must be blocked each combat if able.
Whenever a creature dealt damage by an Archer you control this turn dies, draw a card.
She wears the pelts of the Herdless cowards left in her wake.
4/5

I was gonna make this a 3/4 for but Watcher on the Waves costs and I don't want all my green rares to cost the same amount. in fact that's probably something I should be careful of in general, a lot of the rares I've made so far seem to be higher cost. Iceblade Lacerator is the only mono-colored one I've done that costs less than 4 before the Herdmare up there. I'll keep an eye on that. anyway sometimes Centaurs are mean to the Herdless, it's a thing I've been saying but none of the cards actually showed it so now this one does hooray.

and finally we come to the spiritual heart of the Isle, the Temple. it serves as a meeting grounds and a safe haven, training the next generation of Herdmares and providing spiritual guidance to those in need. but this is no true place of peace: the Monks who train there are great warriors in their own right, ready and able to fight to defend their home and their way of life.

Devotee Of War-
Creature-Centaur Monk (M)
Trample, volley Whenever this creature attacks, it deals 1 damage to defending player.)
Whenever an opponent is dealt damage, Devotee of War gets +3/+3 until end of turn.
Devotees of the Temple take no vows. Their duty is understood, and their prowess unmatched.
0/1

broken? probably! but vulnerable to removal. combined with other Volley sources, or burn, this is absolutely insane, but it's balanced in part by the fact that, unprotected, it's, you know, an 0/1. oh and also it's a mythic so I can make it as powerful as I want. thems the breaks. it looks a lot like hungry spriggan but, you know, it's better. a lot better.

but what would the Temple, or for that matter, Kemil be without its spiritual leader? Kogoth Thundertrail sees all that happens within Kemil's borders and on its warfronts, watching always to make sure her people are safe. to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
Kogoth Thundertrail: Kogoth is the high priestess of The Temple. she maintains its grounds, as well as its devotees. it is often said that Kogoth is blind beyond the walls of The Temple, as she makes no effort to concern herself with disputes between herds, or between Isles. her only concern is the sanctity of her temple. that may lead to a serene exterior, but make no mistake: when trouble comes to her door, Kogoth is as quick and as savage as the rest of the Centaurs. her role in hosting the Herdmeets has given her great insight into the nature of the War, but she refuses to give advice, insisting that it is below her concern.

Kogoth Thundertrail-
Legendary Creature-Centaur Monk (R)
Lifelink, vigilance
Whenever you cast a Monk spell, put a +1/+1 counter on Kogoth.
Whenever you cast a Centaur spell, Kogoth gets +2/+2 until end of turn.
"I do not wish to lead, yet if my children insist on following, what choice do I have?"
1/1

one of the most annoying things about the Monks is that granting lifelink is such a natural Lord thing for them, but lifelink doesn't stack anymore and it's also a pretty good thing to just give them. so since Prayermaker and Blessed Bow exist I don't want my Monk lord to be redundant with them, so I had to do this instead. anyway this represents Kogoth's numbers growing as Monks arrive, with a temporary boost for the Centaurs representing passing Herdmare trainees. I'm not sure that +2/+2 is a big enough bonus relative to a permanent +1/+1, but the point is to try for both so it's ok. also the Monk deck is built around a bunch of independent pieces, so I wanted a lord that didn't blow you out if it died at the wrong time. losing all the work you did growing her sucks, but it doesn't make any of your other threats less threat-y.

anyway, that's Kemil. next we stop to take a look at the Mythic Ships, then we return to visit the impossible Isle of Milor. tally-ho!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:44 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
razorborne wrote:
Kemil is a dangerous place, with rampaging herds

Read that as rampaging nerds.

Ringpeak Huntress is cool.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:19 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Mown wrote:
Ringpeak Huntress is cool.

thanks, she was difficult to do 'cause a lot of what sets the Archers apart mechanically is red. I yelled back and forth with Rush for a bit before hammering that out.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post