It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Korrath
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Korrath is the last bastion of peace on Ossia. They have worked hard to keep the war from their shores, spearheaded by their naval forces, the quick and watchful Scouts.

Watcher On The Waves-
Creature-Wolf Scout (R)
Flash
Prevent all damage that would be dealt to other Wolves you control.
"At Jestopher's command, Korrath sleeps. It is our duty to keep it safe until it sees fit to rise."~Milovic the Bolt
4/4

come for the 4/4 flash for 4, stay for the permanent fog. in the Scout deck it makes a perfectly good body that can sometimes counter a burn spell or turn a combat, while in a Wolf deck it can make you a near-impenetrable wall of bodies as long as you can protect it. it's strong, but I think the ability is less powerful than Yeva, Nature's Herald so not unprintably so. and again, I want these to be strong enough to potentially push alternate strategies if you get them. I'm a little concerned by the similarity between this and Farwatch Doyen, but the abilities are different enough and the bodies certainly changed enough that they should play differently. although maybe I should power up the Doyen's defenses a bit more...

but anyway, the Wolves of Korrath are known for their wisdom and their spiritual connections. perhaps most famous of all are the Monks. while they are not often Mourners, leading their own packs, they are fonts of wisdom and guidance to any who would approach.

Preacher Of Unity-
Creature-Wolf Monk (R)
Lifelink
Other monks you control have lifelink.
At the beginning of your end step, if you gained life this turn, create a 3/3 green Wolf creature token.
"Sow hate, and you reap war. Sow love, and you reap love again."
4/4

I originally wanted it to trigger whenever you gained life, but hey that's so broken, especially with the incremental lifegain guys at lower rarities. then I wanted it to trigger every end step, but that's still pretty broken. I could fix it with a different token size sort of, but Shoreline Ambush and Secrets of the Whisperwood both make 3/3 green Wolves and I don't want multiple tokens per race, that's silly. this will honestly trigger basically every turn but I'm ok with that. the life gain rider is pretty trinket text and it makes its point and doesn't take up much space so why not.

and that leaves perhaps the most important members of Korrath society, the Advisors. many take the mantle of Mourner, leading packs of their own. others serve the Mourners as second-in-command, offering a sounding board to their leaders. still others are chosen to be Mourners later in life, drifting from pack to pack to study the ways of their people.

Greatpack Mourner-
Creature-Wolf Advisor (M)
Vigilance
When Greatpack Mourner dies, Convene 3 four times. (To Convene 3, reveal the top 3 cards of your library. Put a creature card from among them into your hand and the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.)
"The dead are not forgotten."~Mourner's Mount funeral rites
6/6

I'm not in love with a 6/6 wolf, they're normally not that big, but I figure the art can portray it as the leader of a massive pack, so the extra P/T comes from their support, then when the leader dies they all go off their own separate ways and the Convening represents that. originally wanted a convening Primordial Sage, but that felt too overtly green so I did this instead. maybe we'll see that in a later set when Green gets the wolf mythic.

and when talking about Advisors, it's hard not to mention the greatest Advisor on Korrath, the Mourner for the largest pack on the Isle, Jestopher the Wisefang. to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
Jestopher, The Wisefang: often called the Lord of the Whisperwoods, Jestopher is the Mourner of the largest pack on Korrath. 37 years old, Jestopher is ancient by Wolf standards, and unanimously viewed as the wisest Wolf on the Isle. despite his reputation, though, Jestopher remains humble. his titles are all given, not claimed, and he does not use any of them himself. he does what he can to reach out to other packs and other Mourners, and takes on apprentices as much as he can. despite his age, he remains mentally sharp, but his body is failing him and he can rarely walk. when he needs to, his packmates will help to carry him, but most of the time he merely stays where he is and lets the world's problems come to him.

Jestopher The Wisefang-
Legendary Creature-Wolf Advisor (R)
Hexproof
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player exiles the top card of their library for each Advisor you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, draw card for each Wolf you control, then put that many cards from your hand on top of your library.
"Knowledge is a blade, useful to many tasks. Wisdom is the hand that wields it. If we turn our knowledge to the act of war then we have already lost."
0/3

Rush wants scroll rack in white, and while I don't really agree with them it certainly fits in white-blue. it's a little weird that it doesn't perfectly mirror triggers in team multiplayer games, but ha come on like I'm gonna deal with that? hell to the nope. it's actually a little surprising how hard it was to come up with different causes for the milling, I'm not really sure how many more I've got in the tank that fit with the flavor, but some of them are simple enough I don't really have to worry. also, to save CKY some time, yes, it's a Legendary Wolf lord that isn't green, but don't worry, Milovic and Kolif are coming in the next couple sets, and they'll give EDH players who want to build Wolf decks with past wolves plenty of choices. well, two choices, but that's more than they've got right now.

and that's it for Korrath, next we visit Kemil and see what the Centaurs are up to. I also just realized that the randomized list spit out all the arcs first, so good work random.org, you picked an order that no human could possibly have picked were they to try to make something that "felt" random.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:51 pm 

Identity: Male
I find wise hippy wolves a little hard to grok, but it's a neat tribe all the same. I think all of these cards would be fun to play in Block.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I just realized that, while I was adjusting numbers around I gave Preacher and Greatpack the same mana cost. can I drop Greatpack to 5 if I make it smaller? like, 4/5 maybe? or I could make it , it's mythic.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:58 am 

Identity: Male
I think you could get away with Preacher at 5 mana for a 4/3.

Alternatively, if you want Greatpack to be the pushed one, I suggest making it a 3/2 that convenes twice for . You could then shift Jestopher to a 2/4 for .

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:16 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Alternatively, if you want Greatpack to be the pushed one, I suggest making it a 3/2 that convenes twice for .
though I'm less attached to the "mythic=huge" idea than most around here, this just doesn't feel mythic to me. I think it has to be at least 3 times to fit, and I like it at 4 better. I think I'll try it at for a 4/4. the 3/2 for 3 would probably be stronger (heck, it would definitely be stronger, it's a strong aggro body that casts a free threats-only divination when it dies) but I feel like the whole thing is simple enough to exist at lower rarities if it's not going for broke. like, "when ~ dies, Convene 3" isn't a weird trigger on a common. also, it's really important to me that Jestopher have 0 power, the dude can't even walk, and his age is probably comparable to over 100 in human years. he's not gonna take down a bear.

Preacher I'm scared of pushing. like, as it stands right now I feel like Preacher may already be the stronger one. with any lifegain source, it's 7 power the turn it comes down, and 3 more every turn after.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:25 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also, let's all pretend that I realized how good Jestopher's second ability is with Convene and that I did that on purpose because wow that works great.

PS: especially with Seawatch Pack, which is hey an Advisor I AM THE BEST DESIGNER

Like this post