It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Blackrock is a savage place of great warriors and dark mysticism. while its outward image is that of slow-witted brutes slinging weapons the size of tree trunks, in truth, the real power of Blackrock lies with its Druids.

Stoneskin Acolyte-
Creature-Troll Druid (R)
: Regenerate target Troll.
: Regenerate all Trolls you control.
No Troll would dare swear fealty, yet Borrogrove never lacks for company.
6/6

it's no Spiritmonger but a 6/6 for 5 that regenerates and can keep track of its comrades too seems pretty solid. I don't know if it's constructed-playable but it's probably a pretty strong limited pick. keeping things alive may run counter to Regrow, but it actually plays alongside it very well, since Regrow eats up resources. while making 5 to regenerate everything may seem hard, remember that it's also a Druid and the Druid deck is gonna be full of mana production. also one of the nice things I realized about my lack of vanillas is it makes it a lot easier to avoid accidentally strictly-bettering things.

but why should Druids have all the fun? when you think Blackrock, you think Barbarians. brutally violent and unyieldingly territorial, it should come as no surprise that their home is called the Isle of Death. if the Druids are the heart of Blackrock, the Barbarians are its limbs, and those limbs are just always punching, all the time.

Tarsoaked Savage-
Creature-Troll Barbarian (R)
Trample, haste
Other Barbarians you control get +1/+0 and gain trample and haste.
There is no such thing as weakness on the Isle of Death.
4/3

this was originally gonna be a Hellrider variant that hit both players and only triggered off Barbarians but had a bigger body but like honestly even for a suicide black tribe you can get too much self-damage, and I figure with Mesik doing such a good job holding that down at rare I'd let the other Barbarian lord be straight upside.

but all of that, all Blackrock's inner workings, are defended by their Archers, vigilantly watching their massive coast for invaders seeking Blackrock's plentiful resources. armed with massive bows, crossbows, and siege machines, the Archers keep the Isle safe for its other inhabitants to consume.

Opal-Eye Farshot-
Creature-Troll Archer (M)
Restore 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 2 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
When Opal-Eye Farshot enters the battlefield it deals 2 damage each to any number of target creatures and/or players.
In the Blackridge, there are no territories. Every soldier is responsible for the defense of the entire Isle.
4/4

should that be Restore 3? probably! did I drop the number because it was a mythic? absolutely! am I pushing it for constructed play? definitely! I went back and forth between this version and a flame wave version, but this one seemed sexier so I went with this one. I could be convinced of the other one though if someone wants to try.

and legend time! serving as the ultimate defender of the trolls, we have Orgoth, a folk hero in her own time. to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
Orgoth Stonebow: Orgoth is a master craftswoman, and spends most of her time building and maintaining the defensive fixtures around the Blackridge. she chose her honorific after the massive bow hewn from stone that she carries on her back, with arrows made from whole small trees. while she was away building siege weapons, her territory was taken by a rival, so now she makes her home in the Blackridge, the only troll to truly live on its craggy, stony heights. these days, as Blackrock's greatest defender, Orgoth has no enemies among the Trolls, and the invader who stole her home has been brutally taken care of, but she prefers the Ridge. she lives for the single purpose of protecting Blackrock, rushing, bow in hand, whenever ships are spotted on the horizon, but she has not bothered to think past that. the violence will end when it ends, and however it does doesn't matter to her as long as Blackrock remains.

Orgoth Stonebow-
Legendary Creature-Troll Archer (R)
Archers you control have ": This creature deals 1 damage to target creature or player."
If a Troll you control would deal damage to a creature, it deals twice that much damage instead.
"Blackrock serves me, but it will never love me. Our people would unite in an instant under her banner, if she would only ask, yet she does not claim that power. Why?"~Borrogrove, Stoneskin Channeler
3/5

I had to forego the lord convention of using "other" and then just giving the thing the ability, for space reasons. I could I suppose add "Orgoth and other..." to both abilities to make that clear but I don't know if that's necessary. note that the second ability applies to any damage, so as to allow non-Archer Trolls to get in on the fun. also making this post made me realize how fun "Troll you control" is to say. try it! also I'm considering switching the abilities, so it represents her conscripting all the Trolls you have to come shoot at things, and the Archers are better at it, but I don't know which version is better so, you know, thoughts?

anyway next time we pull a hard turn, going from the most violent, war-like Isle, to Korrath, the only one to have remained out of the war. see you then!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:30 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the third card, but I don't know what.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:57 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with the third card, but I don't know what.

like, rules-wise? design-wise? flavor-wise?

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:02 am 

i think it does not need the word "each"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:21 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

i think it does not need the word "each"

pretty sure you're right, I went back and forth on it, but since so many things like that divide damage, I figured I'd play it safe and leave it there as a reminder.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:35 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
Mown wrote:

like, rules-wise? design-wise? flavor-wise?

It reads awkwardly, so I thought you had accidentally omitted some text. Like, 2 damage for each archer, or something.
It doesn't feel that mythic to me either.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
It reads awkwardly, so I thought you had accidentally omitted some text. Like, 2 damage for each archer, or something.
yeah, maybe I should cut the "each", it does make it read worse.
Mown wrote:
It doesn't feel that mythic to me either.
I think it's mythic in the same vein as Thundermaw Hellkite, Bogardan Hellkite, or Inferno Titan. in fact, the last non-mythic creature to deal damage to multiple targets on etb was caldera hellion. (barring some special-product reprints.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Subterrean Shambler got printed at common, fwiw.
Anyway, all of those cards are kind of 'oh fug' high impact cards. I'm not sure how substantial the damage on Thundermaw is (although it can clear away tokens), and is more about 5 unblockable hasty damage, but Bogarden Hellkite can be complete blowouts during combat, and Inferno Titan will practically murder you if it survives for a single turn. Farshot is more of a grindy card, it doesn't carry the same excitement, at least how I see it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:54 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
in Time Spiral, a year before the introduction of mythic rare.

Mown wrote:
Anyway, all of those cards are kind of 'oh fug' high impact cards. I'm not sure how substantial the damage on Thundermaw is (although it can clear away tokens), and is more about 5 unblockable hasty damage, but Bogarden Hellkite can be complete blowouts during combat, and Inferno Titan will practically murder you if it survives for a single turn. Farshot is more of a grindy card, it doesn't carry the same excitement, at least how I see it.
any card with Regrow is gonna be a bit of a grindy card, but Farshot can easily represent 8-10 damage on etb, and it's hypothetically unbounded. that feels pretty mythic to me. if you want I can make it a 5/5, although I think it's kind of pushed as is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

by the way, I was wrong, kuldotha flamefiend was more recent, although it has an additional cost attached.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
Mown wrote:

So it would be mythic if it was printed today? :v

razorborne wrote:
Mown wrote:
any card with Regrow is gonna be a bit of a grindy card, but Farshot can easily represent 8-10 damage on etb, and it's hypothetically unbounded. that feels pretty mythic to me. if you want I can make it a 5/5, although I think it's kind of pushed as is.

I don't know. Mythic rarity is still a bit nebulous to me, I'm just saying things as I see it. I know I'm not a Timmy though, although I don't know if you're even trying to appeal to those. If I had to make it into something mythic-esque, I would have done something like '~ deals 8 damage to target player and creatures that player controls divided as he or she chooses. That player assigns damage divided to creatures equal to their toughness if able."

Or something like that. I don't know how to word it. It's a rather different card though, and hardly depicts traditional archery.

Anyway, it's not the P/T that bothers me, I think it's more the scale of the effect. Especially how it doesn't feel threathening when you recur the creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '08

It's probably too late for that, but I don't really like restore as a mechanic. It looks like one of those uber-spike mechanics that aren't that fun to play (sacrifice a land, get your restore guy Unsummoned).

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
razorborne wrote:
Mown wrote:

So it would be mythic if it was printed today? :v
well, no, it'd probably be uncommon, but I'm not convinced it would be printed today.

razorborne wrote:
I don't know. Mythic rarity is still a bit nebulous to me, I'm just saying things as I see it. I know I'm not a Timmy though, although I don't know if you're even trying to appeal to those. If I had to make it into something mythic-esque, I would have done something like '~ deals 8 damage to target player and creatures that player controls divided as he or she chooses. That player assigns damage divided to creatures equal to their toughness if able."

Or something like that. I don't know how to word it. It's a rather different card though, and hardly depicts traditional archery.

Anyway, it's not the P/T that bothers me, I think it's more the scale of the effect. Especially how it doesn't feel threathening when you recur the creature.
the whole point is the unbounded nature, I'd rather not bound it. how would you feel if I upped it to 3 damage?

Riorvard wrote:
It's probably too late for that, but I don't really like restore as a mechanic. It looks like one of those uber-spike mechanics that aren't that fun to play (sacrifice a land, get your restore guy Unsummoned).
that's the nice thing about a faction set, though. you can have mechanics that appeal to a small portion of the player base because there's a lot of other options for people who don't like it. if you don't like Regrow (I copied and pasted the name from the old thing, I should fix that) you have 10 other keywords to pick from, and even if you're in the right colors there's not that many cards with it so you can run other trolls instead. Regrow is designed to appeal to players who like grinding out value.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:35 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I would probably like something along the lines of:
  • 2 damage for each archer.
  • 1 damage for each land card in your graveyard.
  • Damage equal to opponents hand size.
  • Damage equal to the number of times your opponent has cheated on their significant other.
But I really like scaling things. It gives my imagination the agency of making the card exciting.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I would probably like something along the lines of:
  • 2 damage for each archer.
  • 1 damage for each land card in your graveyard.
  • Damage equal to opponents hand size.
  • Damage equal to the number of times your opponent has cheated on their significant other.
But I really like scaling things. It gives my imagination the agency of making the card exciting.

it is scaling though. it scales to the number of valid targets. in effect it's a 2-point flame wave, it's just better in multiplayer. and it's not supposed to be a lord.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
it is scaling though.

Well, sure, I guess. I'm not entirely sure I would consider Wrath of God a scaling effect as much as a global one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:41 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

on another note, does anyone have thoughts on switching around Orgoth's abilities? it'd also help alleviate Archers who already have pinging abilities, although right now that's just Barrage Captain, and only sort of. would the flavor still come through?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:42 am 

Identity: Female
Dealing 2 damage to your opponent's board didn't feel mythic to me, but I don't have much of a grasp on competitive magic so I don't know how much of a "wow" factor there is in being able to recur it.

The flavour is more clear in its original form I think. If you don't really have archers with pinging abilities then I wouldn't switch them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:18 am 

Identity: Male
I think Opal-Eye Farshot would be more exciting if it cost and you paid to scale up the damage on ETB.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post