It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:00 am 

Identity: Male

Love is in the air. Paliano's society season is starting, and rich and poor are entering the dance of courtship once more. But will you find true love or will your rivals drag you down? Join your partner in two-on-two battles and take on the world!

Number of Cards: 214
Completion Date: February 14, 2015
Set Designer: Chin Kee Yong (a.k.a. CKY)

Happy Valentine's Day, NGA!

Set info

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am 

214 cards

White (35)

Blue (35)

Black (35)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:27 am, edited 18 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:01 am 

Red (35)

Green (35)

Multicolor, Artifact & Land (34)

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:03 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
What the Heck. Out of nowhere 214 cards. How ling have you been working on this?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:06 am 

The idea had been floating around in my head since I started work on Fool's Gold. I started actually making cards and defining the environment around August 2014.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:12 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
That's less horrible than a thought. I was about to be super jelly.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:25 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

I love how well flesh out the theme is at all rarities. I could play with all commons and still get the feel for the set. Nicely done.

Ephemeron

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:59 pm 

I realized I forgot to give white enchantment removal at common, so I scrapped Golden Carriage for a new card, First Light.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:16 pm 

Bump for comments and criticism. I understand that 214 cards is a lot to take in, but if you have the time to spare to skim over my project of a few months in the making, I would appreciate it very much. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:06 am 

Identity: Female
Green bodies seem really small at common. Green usually gets bigger bodies on average than other colours at common, especially at midrange cmcs. I'd be happier seeing less tricks and bigger bodies in that area. I also don't know if you want two fog variants at common. Shared strength is my favourite green common.

grandmaster duelist feels very not green.

the black lotus card is really cool and favourful

romantic poetry is really cool too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:51 am 

Thanks for your comments!

Lilan wrote:
Green bodies seem really small at common. Green usually gets bigger bodies on average than other colours at common, especially at midrange cmcs. I'd be happier seeing less tricks and bigger bodies in that area.

One of the rules of the set was every creature has to make sense as a possible romantic partner with every other creature (with the exception of Yoked Ox, because it's funny). In practice, this means the creature has to be sapient and humanoid, so I couldn't make large green creatures that might be Wurms or Beasts in other sets. It also doesn't make sense to have a lot of creatures that are individually large, since romantic comedies and love stories rarely feature giant monsters.

I tried my best to find workarounds, of course. The printed P/T on the green commons is small, but they can get very large virtual P/T. Village Stoutheart can be 4/4. Childhood Friend makes something else into a 4/4. Retired Champion is almost always 6/6, the largest common creature in the set. Make sure to take that into account when considering the P/T of green commons in Roses of Paliano.

Another rule of Roses of Paliano was that I wanted the format to showcase the relationships between creatures rather than the creatures themselves. This is why I pushed combat tricks and shared bond in the set. Since the theme of green is paired creatures, it makes sense to have fewer individually large creatures but more cards that improve with the number of creatures you have.

Lilan wrote:
I also don't know if you want two fog variants at common.

I think it's alright. It isn't going to break Limited, and all of the Fogs have different flavor. I also like that the set themed around love has many ways to protect you and your partner.

Lilan wrote:
grandmaster duelist feels very not green.

It's a riff on Ulvenwald Tracker. I agree that it mechanically could be red. Green needed a powerful small creature at rare though, and none of the parts are out of green's color pie, so I decided to give the card to green.

Like this post