It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Teth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Teth is a fortress. it is guarded, day in and day out, by the Farwatchers, sitting along the Warden's Watch, warning of danger the moment it appears, a mile below. Gargoyles need no sleep, nor do they tire or bore, making the 512 Watchers near perfect defenders.

Farwatch Doyen-
Creature-Gargoyle Minion (R)
Defender, Flying
Other Gargoyles you control have indestructible.
"We do not have to outwit or outmuscle them. We are born of the very rock: All we must do is outlive."~Obsidius
4/5

while this doesn't technically play all that well with Hardened, I've said many times that Hardened is largely trinket text. this can be thought of as a strengthening of Hardened, a more powerful mechanic along the same lines. the body is somewhat questionable powerwise, but compared to Soulbound Guardians, with a higher color commitment and an increase in rarity I think I'm ok. it's not like Guardians was destroying any constructed scenes.

but the heart of Teth is not its Wardens. it is the Grotesques, ancient and deformed leaders with the wisdom of centuries behind them. the Grotesques plot the course for Teth's future, shaping it to the benefit of the Isle.

War-Weary Ancient-
Creature-Gargoyle Advisor (R)
Advisors you control have ": Target player exiles the top card of their library."
You may play exiled cards your opponents own.
"It is a sad truth that wars are won by those with the least restraint. Teth could end this war in a day, but what world would remain to the victors then?"
1/7

I figure since I'm using exile instead of regular mill, I might as well make the most of it. the second ability originally only let you play things exiled by Advisors but that was really hard to track reasonably so I went with the ability that's probably cooler anyway. as for what the flavor text is referencing, that will be my little secret won't it?

and that leaves Teth's naval force, the Assassins. Tethian soldiers do not enter battles they can't win. they strike suddenly, unexpectedly, with overwhelming force, eliminate their targets, then fade back into the shadows to wait for their next attack. their patience is their greatest weapon, making them near-impossible to stop given time.

Stoneship Company-
Creature-Gargoyle Assassin (M)
Hexproof, trample, hardened (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to this creature, prevent that damage.)
Stoneship Company enters the battlefield tapped.
"A single Tethian warrior can leave untold death and destruction in its wake. Imagine, Milovic, what a fleet could do."~Jestopher the Wisefang
9/9

does this feel mythic? it does to me but I've found I have different interpretations of that than other people. blue does have a history of trample on its really big dudes. I kinda wanted to give it a Master Warcraft ability, letting you choose how it's blocked, but holy crap is that scary powerful on an 9/9 Hardened. it's also generally been a white/red ability for some reason, although I don't really get that. anyway the main point is how much bigger of a deal Hardened is when you have a massive butt.

so that's the common folk, but what of legends? Pumik and Obsidius sit, arguing in their high perches on Teth, but Basilian is out there, serving Teth by eliminating its threats. to quote the Planeswalker's Guide:

razorborne wrote:
Basilian: Basilian is the greatest captain in Teth's fleet. Tethian military operations are small and targeted: they do not like to wage war, as every Gargoyle life is precious and a body lost to the sea is gone forever. instead they plan their strikes very carefully, hitting their target, and nothing else. Basilian is a master tactician, spending hours pouring over minute details of plans. their patience and their lack of sleep grant the Gargoyles a great tactical advantage. Basilian is said to have spent six days staring at a map once, planning an attack on a Blackrock tribe leader, calculating every single variable down to the angle at which their throat would be cut. as a relatively young Gargoyle, Basilian does not involve itself in politics. it does what it is told, and does it with disturbing success.

Basilian-
Legendary Creature-Gargoyle Assassin (R)
Whenever you cast a Gargoyle spell, draw a card.
Whenever you cast an Assassin spell, each opponent discards a card.
On the other Isles, Basilian is called cruel, merciless, and brutal. On Teth it is called efficient.
3/4

it's the obvious place to go for an assassin bi-lord here, and it fits overall with the character so I rolled with it. it gets to be some pretty insane card advantage pretty quickly if you built your deck right, but I think it's ok.

anyway, next time we take a look at the greatest among the most feared Isle of all, the dreaded Blackrock. cheers!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [FOS] Heroes of Teth
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:20 pm 

Identity: Male
Farwatch Doyen seems really underpowered. I think you could get away with swapping defender for vigilance.

I think War-Weary Ancient could cost a lot less. If it had a smaller body and was somewhere around the 3-4 CMC mark, it would enable more competitive Advisor tribal decks.

Basilian is cool, but it feels very strange to have the first legendary Gargoyle be nonwhite. I know you don't care about Commander, but many players do, and they would be saddened if they couldn't build the Gargoyle deck they wanted to build with their existing collection. I think all of the legends in the cycle should at least have the main Magic color of their tribe in their color identity.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Farwatch Doyen seems really underpowered. I think you could get away with swapping defender for vigilance.
I'd rather make the body bigger than remove Defender, Defender is important to the flavor.

I think War-Weary Ancient could cost a lot less. If it had a smaller body and was somewhere around the 3-4 CMC mark, it would enable more competitive Advisor tribal decks.
you think? the ability seems really strong to me so I erred to the higher side, but I could see dropping it to an 0/5 for or something if you think that's ok.

Basilian is cool, but it feels very strange to have the first legendary Gargoyle be nonwhite. I know you don't care about Commander, but many players do, and they would be saddened if they couldn't build the Gargoyle deck they wanted to build with their existing collection. I think all of the legends in the cycle should at least have the main Magic color of their tribe in their color identity.
I'm more concerned with storytelling. I've divided the legends into three groups: there's the obvious Council of Ossia, the general warmongers, and then the ones more concerned with their Isles. putting the last group in the first set builds the story arc best. (for now I'm not going to say which group gets to go second, but feel free to speculate.) don't worry, Pumik and Obsidius will have their cards too. you'll just have to wait for the second and third sets.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 pm 

War-Weary Ancient doesn't help to fix your mana, so you don't necessarily have the resources to cast your opponent's spells. In many matchups, it ends up being a seven-mana Courser of Kruphix. It also forces you to gimp your deck by running lots of Advisors, and is itself vulnerable to removal. I think it would be fine at 2/4.

Also, while looking through your set spoiler, I noticed that the set doesn't have much strong removal for Constructed purposes. There is no Hero's Downfall, no Lightning Strike, no Banishing Light. That could be a problem if you care about Block Constructed.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:56 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

War-Weary Ancient doesn't help to fix your mana, so you don't necessarily have the resources to cast your opponent's spells.
it does if you exile a land.

also I'm not sure "it makes you run a lot of one tribe" is that strong a drawback in a tribal block. there's already plenty of incentives to run advisors, including four other advisor lords. (three that have been revealed.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:58 pm 

razorborne wrote:

Ok, but that still takes at least one or two turns for you to set up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

Ok, but that still takes at least one or two turns for you to set up.

there are other exiling sources in the set. by the time you play this, Feeble Mourner will have been chipping away, Tidal Echoes may have gotten in a shot, and then there's always Drown In Waves for a kickstart. for tracking reasons, it doesn't care about when the cards were exiled. I think you're right that I may have overestimated it, but I still think you're underestimating it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Also, while looking through your set spoiler, I noticed that the set doesn't have much strong removal for Constructed purposes. There is no Hero's Downfall, no Lightning Strike, no Banishing Light. That could be a problem if you care about Block Constructed.

most of the unspoiled commons are removal. they just happened to be in cycles I don't need to rush.

Like this post