It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Heroes of Qelan
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Qelan is a dangerous land. the Djinn are an unforgiving folk, the cruelest sort of carefree. nowhere is this more clear than in their dealings with other Isles, spearheaded by the dreaded Pirates.

Sovereign of Winds-
Creature-Djinn Pirate (R)
Flying, Hexproof
Other Djinn you control can't be blocked.
The Port of Winds is Qelan's only egress. Those who control it do so with an iron grip and a temper to match.
4/4

rare is where the racial lords come out to play. they're generally sort of aimed toward their class themes, but if you want to make a purely Djinn-based deck around this it plays great with Assail as well, ensuring you get your shots in. it's also just a damn strong body, because I want these lords to be first-pickable when they come up to encourage people to try outside-the-box draft strategies. it also works well in constructed, where it plays as a decent control finisher body already that then encourages you to run more Djinn for the incidental gain.

but that's not to say there's no classes working at rare: the Assassins are a busy sort, and the Frigid are hard at work. the Frigid are a carefully guarded order of Djinn unlike any other, lurking in Alqin, the Seat of Death. they fight for Qelan, though only they understand exactly what that means to them.

Iceblade Lacerator-
Creature-Djinn Assassin (R)
At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, Iceblade Lacerator deals X damage to that player, where X is the number of Assassins you control minus the number of cards in their hand.
"Measure twice, cut deep."~Teachings of the Frigid
1/1

I went back and forth on this because I'm not convinced I have enough discard yet for this to really work, but it seemed really pretty so I wanted to and besides I've got a couple more assassins left. this has a neat synergy with both sides of the card advantage coin: if they're discarding you're dropping them lower, but if instead you're drawing then you can keep piling on more Assassins to raise the threshold. either way, the Lacerator's gonna start shredding.

and, of course, the Barbarians. the savage warriors hellbent on violence as a form of expression, control, and entertainment. Djinn Barbarians are perhaps the most deadly of all Qelan's dangers, boredom at the end of a blade.

Darkfire Awoken-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian (M)
Flying, Trample
Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
Creature cards you own that aren't on the battlefield have Assail .
"Things sleep beneath Ossia. Things its people have not yet begun to imagine. Watch, old friend, for what is about to come."~Vella Voss, to Ulrexes
6/3

in for-real printing this would not have reminder text obv but I have the space in FFC Land, and some people might not be following my set and thus unaware of what Assail is. I went back and forth between this and a thing that let you Assail from your graveyard, and I might still switch, we'll see. I felt like that was too bonus-lordy for a cycle that isn't lords, but I'm ok with bending rules at mythic 'cause hey, mythic. the only restriction here is it has to have the keyword and do something cool with it. anyway this was hard to balance, but I think the numbers are about right. and yes, this is : 6/3 and an Emrakul swinging, but through the breach exists so that's fine. as for who those are in the flavor text? hey don't worry about it.

but enough of commoners: Ossia is a land of heroes and legends, leaders whose names are spoken in reverence and awe. and among the Barbarians of Qelan, none are more feared than the terrifying Mesik the Emblazoned. to quote the planeswalker's guide:
razorborne wrote:
Mesik the Emblazoned: Mesik is perhaps the greatest warrior of Qelan. her honorific derives from the intricate tattoos of magical fire she wears, wrought into her skin. she says the patterns tell the story of her life, although she has never explained how to read them. she travels Qelan alone, refusing bands, seeking others to fight. she cares little for the objects that so fascinate her kin, instead seeking out the experience of new and exciting combat. she stays mostly in Qelan, as she views the other races as inherently inferior. she does not believe she could find a worthy opponent among them, so she doesn't care what happens to them.

Mesik the Emblazoned-
Legendary Creature-Djinn Barbarian (R)
At the beginning of your upkeep, you lose 5 life.
Non-Djinn creatures you control enter the battlefield tapped.
Non-Barbarian creatures you control get -1/-1.
The fury of the Emblazoned cannot be contained, only weathered.
5/5

this is an odd one to start with and I'm a little bummed my randomization algorithm spit out Djinns first for this round. the cycle is generally bi-lords, who help both their race and their class and double-help things that agree on both. Mesik, though, is a bit of a loner, and I felt she was best represented through an undercosted fatty with downsides. she still double-helps Djinn Barbarians, but it's less clear than most of the cycle and she's not a good first ambassador but such is life. it's funny to me that she eats Trinketbearer when you Assail it, so you can draw your card right away. inter-Djinn synergy!

anyway, that's one step closer to Ossian completion! join us next time when we look at the heroes of Teth!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:30 am 

Identity: Male
I wish Mesik was a better EDH general.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

as a rule I don't care about EDH

that said, a 5-power commander for 2 seems pretty good for commander damage wins

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:54 am 

Iceblade Lacerator is a sweet name. I like the card too...something feels off, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe its math. Maybe I'm growing an aversion to math...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:29 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

POSValkir wrote:
Iceblade Lacerator is a sweet name. I like the card too...something feels off, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe its math. Maybe I'm growing an aversion to math...

yeah, it's certainly on the high end of mathiness. most cards use one variable at most, but it seemed like a cute variant on The Rack which is a classic card that everyone knows so I'm banking on that part feeling familiar enough to carry it.

also don't have an aversion to math, math is great.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:13 am 

razorborne wrote:

as a rule I don't care about EDH

:thumbsup:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:41 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I can't see a single thing about Darkfire Awoken that isn't red. Is there a reason you're bending the color pie so blatantly with him? (Also, this mechanic was almost a thing in Starstill, so it'll probably get printed soon. I'm sure Wizards has thought of keywording the Sneak Attack ability too by now, so it's only a matter of time before they find a place for it.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:45 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I can't see a single thing about Darkfire Awoken that isn't red. (Also, this mechanic was almost a thing in Starstill, so it'll probably get printed soon. I'm sure Wizards has thought of keywording the Sneak Attack ability too by now, so it's only a matter of time before they find a place for it.) Is there a reason you're bending the color pie so blatantly with him?

well, the card has to be black to fill the slot it fills, but it doesn't have to have the ability it has. however, Assail is the Djinn keyword, so it belongs in , , and . that said, I do agree that granting it everywhere feels red. maybe I'll switch to the Assail-from-the-yard thing, but that doesn't feel as Barbarian-y.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:00 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I also think the name Steinhauser used (Blitz) has way more spunk than Assail.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:08 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I also think the name Steinhauser used (Blitz) has way more spunk than Assail.

eh, Assail captures the feel I'm going for better. it carries a certain transience to it that Blitz doesn't. plus it's got "sail" in it, which is a neat wordplay bonus in a seafaring block.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:12 am 

I totally missed Darkfire Awoken. That would be an especially bad ass name for a Manifest card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:47 am 

Identity: Male
I just noticed that Ulrexes, High Lich features in your flavor text. Mysterious foreshadowing???

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I just noticed that Ulrexes, High Lich features in your flavor text. Mysterious foreshadowing???

...maybe.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

new Awoken:

Darkfire Awoken-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian (M)
Flying, Trample
Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
You may cast cards for their Assail cost from your graveyard. (They are still Assailing.)
"Things sleep beneath Ossia. Things its people have not yet begun to imagine. Watch, old friend, for what is about to come."~Vella Voss, to Ulrexes
6/6

I agree with Parad that granting it to everything feels more red than black, so I switched to this. I'll likely save the other one for a red mythic Djinn in the other sets. (they make a combo!) I also thought about an Assail guy that went on top of your library when it died but in order to make it big enough to be mythic I think the card would be unfun so here's this. most of the things in this cycle won't be lords for their keywords, but it's mythic so I'm willing to blur things around a bit. if you want to run an Assail-based deck around this, god speed.

is the reminder text necessary? I want it to be clear that you're not (casting them) for (their Assail cost), you're (casting them for the Assail cost) with all the rules implications that normally has.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

I agree with trying to clarify it. I'm wondering if you can just, "Creature cards may assail from your graveyard," or something.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:04 pm 

"You may cast creature cards with assail in your graveyard with/through/using their assail ability."? I'd prefer DS's wording, but I'm not sure it can be done that easily.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

DS wrote:
I agree with trying to clarify it. I'm wondering if you can just, "Creature cards may assail from your graveyard," or something.

I don't think I can do that, but comparing to things like Evoke and Dash, in the CR the sac effect and haste would be static abilities conditional on the cost having been paid, so rules-wise the current wording works. the reminder text can be less strict so I can call it Assailing there though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I really dislike Mesik, mostly because it overcentralizes the board state. You either burn removal on a 2-drop, or someone is dying in 2-turns. It's also a awful if your opponent also wanted to play an aggro deck, as you can't win a standstill and your opponents chump blocks suddenly become lava axes.
It's also just not really a card I would want to put in my deck, and I don't like how it encourages you to run specific cards. "This cards sucks less if you play these cards."

Given the flavor, it's really difficult to come up with a working concept for your mechanical restriction.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I really dislike Mesik, mostly because it overcentralizes the board state. You either burn removal on a 2-drop, or someone is dying in 2-turns. It's also a awful if your opponent also wanted to play an aggro deck, as you can't win a standstill and your opponents chump blocks suddenly become lava axes.
I mean, that's suicide black. that's how the Barbarians play, and Mesik fits into that. if you don't like Sui Black then you're not gonna like the card.

Mown wrote:
It's also just not really a card I would want to put in my deck, and I don't like how it encourages you to run specific cards. "This cards sucks less if you play these cards."
isn't that true of any lord? goblin warchief sucks a lot less if you run it with other goblins.

Last edited by razorborne on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:19 pm 

Identity: Female
razorborne I feel like you really want to argue with people about lords

Like this post