It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Scouts of Ossia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:53 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

in a world as rich and varied as Ossia, there's bound to be explorers. someone will always want to find new things, see new places, and be the first to set foot on unknown lands. while their end goals may vary, the Scouts of Ossia are united by their curiosity. some take to the sea, sailing to the ends of the world in search of foreign lands. others explore the Isles, seeking to better understand the archipelago they call home. still others may never leave their own Isles, charting and cataloguing every nook and cranny of their birthplace. no matter what, the Scouts have seen the world, and they know its secrets better than any others on Ossia.

Scouts on Dragonroost: the Lizards are all beings of curiosity and exploration, a trait their Scouts take to unimaginable levels. they are the primary explorers beyond the Isles, with rumors circulating that the great Scout Narrin Swiftpad has sailed to the very edges of the Infinite Sea. if something lives or lies beyond the ten known Isles, it will be the Lizards who find it, and no one will believe them.

Scouts on Korrath: Scouts on Korrath comprise the navy. their ranks are largely the younger wolves, still full of vigor and ready to enter the fray. while the elder Mourners have held off their efforts so far, the Scouts have taken to the seas to monitor the other Isles for aggressive action toward the Isle of Packs. when they aren't on reconnaissance missions, many Scouts will also return to the mainland to wander, seeking hidden places and secret wisdom left by their ancestors in the dark recesses of Korrath.

Scouts on Epala: while clear divisions among the Fae are hard to draw, the primary Scouts among them are the Pixies. taken to the Canopy more than any other Fae, the Pixies are more adapted to the light and more interested in the workings of the other Isles. they use their small size to infiltrate and watch over the other Isles, reporting back as necessary. Pixie spies report back from every Isle except Teth and Milor. they also serve in more official diplomatic roles, negotiating officially with other Isles while the Fae Assassins handle the less savory aspects of diplomacy.

existing Scouts

Scouts don't generally prefer violence, but they are quick, and they are always prepared. they take the form of a countersliver/fish tempo deck, plopping down a few cheap threats and using counters and bounce to keep your opponent out of the way until they're dead.

Counter Tempo with race mechanics

so cards? cards. lords!

Coastwatcher-
Creature-Wolf Scout (C)
Flash
When Coastwatcher enters the battlefield, counter target creature spell unless its controller pays , where X is the number of Scouts you control.
"Korrath's shores are sacred. We must protect them, at any cost."~Milovic the Bolt
2/2

Treetop Sovereign-
Creature-Faerie Scout (C)
Scouts you control can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach.
"They cannot kill what they cannot catch."
2/1

Swiftpad's Stalwart-
Creature-Lizard Scout (U)
Whenever a Scout enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Swiftpad's Stalwart.
Remove a +1/+1 counter from Swiftpad's Stalwart: Counter target spell unless its controller pays .
Narrin does not choose his companions lightly.
0/1

and this dork:

Farsea Adventurer-
Creature-Lizard Scout (C)
Elude (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
When Farsea Adventurer enters the battlefield, you may tap target land. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step.
"Who wouldn't want to see what lies beyond the world?"
2/1

and then pants!

Blessing of the Court-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Flash
Enchanted creature gets +1/+1.
When Blessing of the Court enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature is a Scout, you may counter target non-creature spell.
Blessings have a different meaning on the Isle of Shadows.

Dragon's-Eye Scope-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
Flash
When Dragon's-Eye Scope enters the battlefield, you may attach it to target creature.
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may return target creature to its owner's hand.
Equip
It shows not just what lays in front of you, but what lays behind.

next time is Monks hooray.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:11 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think I'm gonna push the Stalwart and make it a 1/1 instead.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:39 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Yeah it kinda sux.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:50 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
Yeah it kinda sux.

yeah on review I think I was overly scared of it and underpowered it as a result. making it a 1/1 and changing the cost per counter to .

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:21 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
Treetop Sovereign doesn't feel green to me. It's essentially a flying lord, make it blue or give it a different ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:32 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
Treetop Sovereign doesn't feel green to me. It's essentially a flying lord, make it blue or give it a different ability.

green gets that ability. most recently on spire tracer, orchard spirit, and canopy cover. looking it up I'm actually a little surprised it doesn't get it more, but it's an ability it's gotten occasionally since treetop rangers in Urza's Saga.

PS: in fact, signal pest is the only non-green card to ever have that ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:17 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Yes, which I (and MaRo) feel is out of pie. Maybe the bleed is okay on a few small 1/1s, but I think giving your entire board flying on offence is a bit of a stretch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
Yes, which I (and MaRo) feel is out of pie. Maybe the bleed is okay on a few small 1/1s, but I think giving your entire board flying on offence is a bit of a stretch.

the small thing is important: other than that (and landwalk, but landwalk is awful), all of green's evasion is based on overpowering. being really big. trample. rhox. battering wurm. small green guys have no way to get through. deathtouch gets close, but it doesn't really help against other small guys. that's the role aggro-flying serves, and it's an important one, and while it's not my favorite color fit ever, there's no other available options. and since scouts are supposed to be a weenie tribe, they can't use any of the bigness-based evasion options in green, so they're stuck with it.

on the other hand, some scouts are already blue and have flying, so if you have a suggestion for a different ability that fills that same role I'd be happy to consider it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:40 am 

Identity: Tremulant
Preferred Pronoun Set: wot
Am I wrong or is Farsea Adventurer Stone Rain on a 2/1 with evasion? Isn't that too good?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:42 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Fenix wrote:
Am I wrong or is Farsea Adventurer Stone Rain on a 2/1 with evasion? Isn't that too good?

oh, it was supposed to be next untap step. good catch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:18 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
the small thing is important: other than that (and landwalk, but landwalk is awful), all of green's evasion is based on overpowering. being really big. trample. rhox. battering wurm. small green guys have no way to get through. deathtouch gets close, but it doesn't really help against other small guys. that's the role aggro-flying serves, and it's an important one, and while it's not my favorite color fit ever, there's no other available options. and since scouts are supposed to be a weenie tribe, they can't use any of the bigness-based evasion options in green, so they're stuck with it.
Yeah, there's a reason that green's evasion is based on being big — because green is supposed to be at its worst when it has creatures smaller than others. Green goes over, not under.

If you've pinned that slot for a common two-cost Scout that grants one of the best evasion abilities in the game to all Scouts, I think green isn't the colour. It is literally the worst at evasion. (After blue, black, red, and white, in approximately that order.) The only thing I can think of that isn't flying on attack is intimidate, which green is tertiary in after black and red. But my advice would be to give green the saboteur abilities (like Curiosity, for example), and let blue grant evasion.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:34 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
If you've pinned that slot for a common two-cost Scout that grants one of the best evasion abilities in the game to all Scouts, I think green isn't the colour. It is literally the worst at evasion. (After blue, black, red, and white, in approximately that order.) The only thing I can think of that isn't flying on attack is intimidate, which green is tertiary in after black and red. But my advice would be to give green the saboteur abilities (like Curiosity, for example), and let blue grant evasion.

blue's busy doing the counters. it's a counter-sliver deck. those need evasion to work so they don't have to counter everything, but they're largely defined by small dudes. I suppose I could make it an anthem to play muscle sliver, but I'd rather they be about small dudes getting there than just big dumb fat. I've got four green tribes to fill, they can't all be big dudes smashing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:41 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Doesn't deathtouch get you most the way of where you want to go, then? Either it's pseudo-evasion or it's removal of the stuff you didn't counter, either way it synergises with what you want the limited archetype to achieve.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:48 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
Doesn't deathtouch get you most the way of where you want to go, then? Either it's pseudo-evasion or it's removal of the stuff you didn't counter, either way it synergises with what you want the limited archetype to achieve.

deathtouch is a really bad flavor fit for scouts, though. whereas something that's always been flavored as hanging out in treetops avoiding detection is a really good flavor fit.

it also doesn't solve the problem. the point of evasion in this sort of deck is so that if you can get a quick advantage, then you don't have to counter their guys because you can still win the race around them. whereas if they trade, they can still stop the bleeding.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 2:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

I also don't like the mass pseudo-flying. Options from my brain-tops:

1. Scouts you control can't be blocked if defending player controls a tapped land.
2. Scouts you control have nonbasic landwalk.
3. Each scout you control can't be blocked by a creature unless that creature's controller pays [COST]. (This works well with the fae taxing theme, and ties to the land-familiarity theme of scouts.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

after some conversations with Rush, I've decided to change Sovereign to this:

Treetop Sovereign-
Creature-Faerie Scout (C)
Each player may block no more than one Scout you control each combat.
"Scatter! They can't kill what they can't catch!"
2/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:09 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

How is that green? Also, sorry to be an ****, but isn't Farsea Adventurer's ability blue or white rather than green? Does green get freezing effects?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
How is that green?
in effect, it's a Scouts-only lure.

ty wrote:
Also, sorry to be an ****, but isn't Farsea Adventurer's ability blue or white rather than green? Does green get freezing effects?
green is the secondary color for land destruction. it doesn't generally get freeze effects, but freeze effects generally target creatures so it's hard to compare.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:25 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
ty wrote:
How is that green?
in effect, it's a Scouts-only lure.
It's not a Lure at all. First, you can just not block any of them. Second, you can just block with your biggest creature, not all your creatures, so this doesn't let you kill off anything smaller than you.
Quote:
ty wrote:
Also, sorry to be an ****, but isn't Farsea Adventurer's ability blue or white rather than green? Does green get freezing effects?
green is the secondary color for land destruction. it doesn't generally get freeze effects, but freeze effects generally target creatures so it's hard to compare.

Black is the number one colour for creature destruction but it doesn't get creature freezing. I don't see how green being good at land destruction means it gets Rishadan Port + freezing.

Also: Sorry for being antagonistic. Colour pie arguments are too fun for me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

ty wrote:
How is that green?

What color would it be? Blue isn't exactly a swarm color, so that doesn't work. Neither black nor red would encourage blocking like this, so that doesn't work. It might be white; I'll give you that. But green has a rich history of using one attacker to provide guidance for the others. This is an adaptation of that. It's not completely Lure, but it's not that far from it either.

Like this post