It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Druids of Ossia
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

while a few of Ossia's Isles have been overrun by development, many still contain deep ties to the natural world. a few of these are home to the Druids, master channelers of the Earth. Druidic Isles tend to be rich in forestation, some even bordering on jungles. they teem with life, sometimes even to excess. the Druids maintain these forests. their methods vary, from the Dryads who literally bond with the trees to the Trolls who are more likely to devour them, but that unbreakable bond with nature and the forests and life around them is, at its core, what makes all Druids.

Druids on the Isles

Druids on Epala: a massive, sprawling jungle teeming with uncountable life, Epala is a perfect home for Druids, many of whom make their homes down near the marshes to better connect with the Isle's deep magic. Druids can be found among all the Fae species, but their affinity for the fens and swamps make Leprechauns exceptionally gifted in the craft. while they are nominally more honest than the Assassins, the Druidic Fae are by no means trustworthy, even to their own kin: it is no accident that Kiber sits atop the Bounded Court.

Druids on Blackrock: Trolls are a destructive and consumptive sort, and their Druids are no exception. while other Druids may honor and worship nature, the Trolls use it. to them, the deep spiritual power of their home is but another weapon to be wielded against whatever foes may present themselves. Blackrock's near-impossible fertility means they can wreck as much havoc on it as they want and still have plenty to spare. the Druidic Trolls are also wiser and more clever than their compatriots, often finding themselves in positions of great power and respect. they are masters of the Tarline rituals that bless Troll armies with offerings from the Cauldron Pits.

Druids on Telimar: The Isle of Arbors is perhaps the single most obvious place to look on Ossia for Druids: its inhabitants literally bond themselves with the rich forest that makes their home. in such a world, it makes perfect sense that the Druids would hold power. they can be found among the Sophisticates, the Dewdrinkers, the Nightwalkers, the Tillers, the Vinechildren, and many other orders. anywhere the trees are concerned, the Druids are there, and on Telimar, the trees are concerned with practically everything. the most noted Order of Druids is the Sophisticates, a massive order tasked with speaking for the trees, so that their interests may be represented. as the voice of half the population of the Isle, the Sophisticates wield great power, and little goes on on the Isle of Arbors without their approval.

existing Druids

Druids, as one might have guessed, are the ramp deck. they build up a bunch of mana and then do neat stuff with it. stuff like Bounded Noble, or Tarline Warcaller, or other stuff.

Ramp with Race mechanics

and cards!

Cauldron Supplicant-
Creature-Troll Druid (C)
: Add X mana in any combination of and to your mana pool, where X is the number of Druids you control.
"How can we lose when Blackrock itself wants us to win this war?"
2/2

Burgeoning Heartcap-
Creature-Dryad Druid (C)
: Druids you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
More than trees grow on the Isle of Arbors.
3/3

Keeper Of The Cairns-
Creature-Faerie Druid (U)
, tap two untapped druids you control: Create a 1/1 green Faerie creature token.
"The incessant bugs flit around the Canopy, seeking power in its lofty heights. True power comes from the Greylands. The fens and bogs are the heart of Epala."
2/2

and this thing:

Bogling-
Creature-Faerie Druid (C)
Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)
, pay 1 life: Add or to your mana pool.
On the surface of Epala, there is little difference between day and night. Both are dark and filled with shadows.
1/2

and pants!

Cloak Of Vines-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gets +2/+2.
When Cloak Of Vines enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature is a Druid, search your library for a basic swamp or forest card and put that card onto the battlefield tapped. Then shuffle your library.
The Desecrators are Telimar's first line of defense. The Vinechildren are its last.

Fencarved Staff-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
: Add to your mana pool.
Equipped creature has ": Add to your mana pool."
Equip
The magic of Epala needs no master.

next time we look at nomads yay

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Bogling should be a 1/1, I'll fix it in the archives.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:52 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Now say Dryad Druid 5 times fast.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:20 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

the more I think about it the more I want Keeper to only tap one Druid to activate. I could up the mana cost on it to compensate. , one Druid?

or would , one Druid even be ok? unlike most token-proliferation things like selesnya evangel and sprout swarm, the tokens it makes can't then feed back in and make more tokens.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:47 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

talked to Rush, found Jade Mage for precedent, made Keeper Of The Cairns way better. is now to cast, still to activate and only taps one Druid.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:52 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also I'm 55% done with this thing! I've decided to commit to doing a 3-set block to solve a problem. we'll see how long the other two take though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:19 am 

Identity: Male
Bogling and the Heartcap feel out of pie.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:28 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Bogling and the Heartcap feel out of pie.

on Bogling, blightsoil druid and vesper ghoul say it can happen occasionally. it's certainly not central, but it happens, especially when you have color factions that pair black and green. Heartcap I don't understand, every color gets mana sinks and +1/+1s.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:41 am 

But only green and white do Glorious Charges at common.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:53 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

But only green and white do Glorious Charges at common.

but Heartcap isn't a Glorious Charge. the reason green and white get those is because they're the token colors and weenie colors, the ones who proliferate lots of little bodies. (red gets them too but doesn't pump toughness.) Heartcap limits to a specific type, a type for which tokens aren't made, and which is not effective aggressive weenies. the text may appear similar, but the impact of the restriction is extremely relevant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:11 am 

I would still like the ability better if it was something like ": Target Druid creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I would still like the ability better if it was something like ": Target Druid creature gets +2/+2 until end of turn."

considered targeted pump (I'm not doing cross-color abilities) but that actually winds up being way more annoying from a combat math perspective. it's a lot easier to think "ok, all their guys will get this pump" than trying to figure out which one is optimal to target for each blocking scenario. it's overwhelming to run all those numbers, whereas as is you can just assume that they all get it, block accordingly, and let your opponent decide whether it's worth activating.

for reference, the most recent common permanent to do instant-speed targeted pump is infantry veteran in Magic 2011. the most recent one to be able to do it repeatedly in one turn is hoof skulkin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Rush suggests self-pump (": ~ gets +1/+1 for each Druid you control.") which seems to solve your issue (self-pump is a well-established black mechanic.) and also lets you freely tap your mana Druids to activate it. I might have to add trample, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:45 am 

That seems good.

Like this post