It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Warships Of Ossia
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

blah blah ships are important look guys I have to do a thread for the rare ships now and I don't feel like writing flavor for it when I've already talked all about how important ships are so here they are their thing is block triggers to present a more complicated decision to defenders.

Tethian Submarine-
Artifact-Ship (R)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
Whenever Tethian Submarine becomes blocked, draw a card.
Whenever Tethian Submarine attacks and isn't blocked, defending player discards a card.
"The grotesques devise strategies upon strategies, schemes within plots within machinations. On the seas, we do as we are told."~Basilian

Qelanian Warship-
Artifact-Ship (R)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
Whenever Qelanian Warship becomes blocked, create a 3/1 red Djinn creature token tapped and attacking. (It can't be blocked this turn.)
Whenever Qelanian Warship attacks and isn't blocked for the first time each turn, untap all creatures you control. After this phase, there is an additional combat phase.
"ATTACK!"~Temik Wildsong

Blackrock Dreadnaught-
Artifact-Ship (R)
Whenever Blackrock Dreadnaught becomes blocked, destroy each creature blocking it.
Whenever Blackrock Dreadnaught attacks and isn't blocked, destroy all creatures defending player controls.
Destruction is the language of the Isle of Death.

Kemil Raider-
Artifact-Ship (R)
Whenever Kemil Raider becomes blocked, it deals 3 damage to defending player.
Whenever Kemil Raider attacks and isn't blocked, gain 5 life.
"What is to be gained by killing the helpless?"~Kogoth Thundertrail

Korrath Peacekeeper-
Artifact-Ship (R)
Whenever Korrath Peacekeeper becomes blocked, prevent all damage blocking creatures would deal this turn.
Whenever Korrath Peacekeeper attacks and isn't blocked, defending player skips their next combat phase.
"Peace will come. Patience and care are the only weapons we need."~Jestopher the Wisefang

flavor text would be unlikely to fit here (heck, does Qelanian Warship even fit without it?) but hey why not. were I doing renders I would leave the reminder text off War Machine, but I figured I'd leave it here so people unfamiliar with the set's mechanics can still evaluate.

anyway! I really want to test these at some point because the power level of Ships is entirely a guess and the costs are basically arbitrary. but anyway next we go back to classes with Druids. hooray! stay tuned yo.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:39 pm 

Identity: Male
One issue with Tethian Submarine is discard is less and less powerful as the game goes on, so eventually it stops being useful. I think the effects post-blocks should be switched.

Kemil Raider is another card where the effects post-blocks should be switched. Remember that blocking uses up a resource where not blocking does not, so the penalty for not blocking should always be harsher.

Blackrock Dreadnought is awesome.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Speaking of defense, are there any defenders in the set? You'd think the isles would want to set up some form of stronghold. And with all the emphasis on blocking, it seems like a good place to show off the mechanic a little. Even if you hate it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Kemil Raider is very strange. I don't get the flavor. The effect is also a bit boring for a rare.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:04 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

One issue with Tethian Submarine is discard is less and less powerful as the game goes on, so eventually it stops being useful. I think the effects post-blocks should be switched.
I think switched the card gets too strong. it's card advantage every time it swings, for 3. the balance of being able to escape by emptying your hand reigns it in, and also I have a regular card draw ship at common for 4 and I don't like strictly-bettering in the same set.

Kemil Raider is another card where the effects post-blocks should be switched. Remember that blocking uses up a resource where not blocking does not, so the penalty for not blocking should always be harsher.

Mown wrote:
Kemil Raider is very strange. I don't get the flavor. The effect is also a bit boring for a rare.
yeah the raider is my least favorite of them. I like the block trigger, like if you get in its way they lob a bunch of arrows at you, but I couldn't think of a good unblocked trigger to go with it. I went with lifegain because centaurs are green and white, but I don't like the aesthetic at all and am definitely taking suggestions on that one. (as it's a rare, the cost can be whatever. I can also change the damage number to better fit. the main point is damage on blocks. the rest is utterly negotiable.)

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Speaking of defense, are there any defenders in the set? You'd think the isles would want to set up some form of stronghold. And with all the emphasis on blocking, it seems like a good place to show off the mechanic a little. Even if you hate it.

there's a whole tribe built on blocking.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:20 am 

Identity: Male
Tethian Submarine could mill your opponent in addition to the discard, so at least it's still doing something.

Maybe Kemil Raider rituals or Phyrexian Arenas when it hits your opponent.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:24 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Tethian Submarine could mill your opponent in addition to the discard, so at least it's still doing something.

Maybe Kemil Raider rituals or Phyrexian Arenas when it hits your opponent.

ooh, a ritual seems nice. I don't want to make it color-specific, though, 'cause that's weird. maybe untap all lands you control? can't ramp but lets you play more things which is nice if you're aggro anyway. the abilities still feel a bit thematically unconnected, but they work in the same deck so yeah I'll probably do that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

razorborne wrote:

I missed that one. I'm guessing it was the moles? Moles love to block.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:

I missed that one. I'm guessing it was the moles? Moles love to block.

it's advisors, dorkle

Like this post