It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Pirates of Ossia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

as an oceanic world, Ossia is full of ships, for both war and trade. much of the combat in Ossia takes place at sea, and while every Isle engages in some, the true masters of ship-based warfare are the Pirates. some stay near their shores, while others venture out to strike, but most navies learned quickly to flee when they see a Pirate ship on the horizon. others view ships as a means to an end: a transport to their end target on another Isle. Pirates have learned the value of ships for their own sake, raiding for supplies and crippling war efforts without setting a foot on land.

Pirates on the Isles

Pirates on Milor: the Flamekin are the primary pirates of Milor, maintaining a massive fleet that circles within the Veil of Milor, waiting for other Isles to come close. unlike the other Pirates of the Isles, the Elementals almost exclusively stay close to home. in fact, most of the other Isles have no knowledge of Milor's naval strength, although the secrecy the Isle maintains leads others to be cautious none-the-less.

Pirates on Qelan: Djinn are the consummate Pirates. they raid at a whim, taking whatever they can from wherever they can, for no reason other than that they can. they strike without warning, take what they want, and then disappear. while they often raid the Isles as well, ships are more convenient and less well defended, making them the Djinn's preferred targets. they usually prefer to take trading ships, for the easier conquest and greater rewards, but their love of combat makes the weapons of the warships a tantalizing target as well.

Pirates on Dragonroost: of all the Isles, Dragonroost most loves the sea. its navy has explored far beyond the reaches of the Ossian Archipelago, but its Pirates stay closer to home. Kiir's fleet encircles the Isle, watching ever for danger. other vessels venture out further, strategically disrupting opposing trade lines and manipulating outcomes of other Isles' wars in Dragonroost's favor. the flagship of the Lizard navy is the Fangbow, captained by the legendary pirate Kiir the Oneblade. in recent years the navy has been retreating to the Isle of Fangs more, meddling less in other Isles' affairs, but they are still active at times when Dragonroost's safety is at stake.

existing pirates

Pirates are masters of naval warfare. in play, this manifests as an interdependence with Ships. Pirates are probably the hardest deck to put together correctly, but hey, it's UR, that's what they do. the pieces really fell together perfectly for this and I couldn't say no.

"Ships Matter" with Race Mechanics

lords!

Beastwell Shipwright-
Creature-Lizard Pirate (C)
Ship spells you cast cost less to cast for each Pirate you control.
The Isle of Fangs hosts the finest fleet in Ossia.
1/2

Master Raider-
Creature-Djinn Pirate (C)
Trample
Ships you control can't be blocked unless each attacking Pirate is.
"Red seas at morning, sailors take warning."~Mariner's rhyme
4/4

Barrage Of Flames-
Creature-Elemental Pirate (U)
: Barrage Of Flames deals X damage to target blocking creature and each creature it's blocking, where X is the number of Pirates you control. Activate this ability only during the declare blockers step and only during your turn.
"The others know nothing of our strength. Thousands of ships patrol within the Veil. We grow weary of patience."~The Heart of Flames
0/1

and this!

Cunning Embers-
Creature-Elemental Pirate (C)
Unveil - When Cunning Embers attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it, then search your library for a Ship card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library.
"We see what is yet to come, because we have learned what has already been."~The Heart of Flames
2/3

and some pants:

Oneblade's Tactics-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature gains haste.
If enchanted creature is a Pirate, it has "Whenever this creature attacks, target Ship can't be blocked this turn."
There is no sight more feared on the Infinite Sea than the billowing green sails of the Fangbow.

Impossible Light-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to a player, you may look at the top 5 cards of your library, reveal a Ship card from among them, and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in any order.
Equip
There is no greater mystery on Ossia than what lies beyond the Veil of Milor.

next time we take a break from classes to look to look at the rare ships (nice timing!) so join us then to see what those look like!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:31 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I'm kinda worried that with so many different tribes and mechanics, the synergy will be spread a bit thin in limited.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:47 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
I'm kinda worried that with so many different tribes and mechanics, the synergy will be spread a bit thin in limited.

well, the general model is 10 baked-in archetypes, one for each color pair, which is what I have here. the races aren't actually draft archetypes, really. I explicitly avoided linear keywords for them for that reason. Pester is the only one that gets any better in multiples, and even that works fine by itself. there's only one cycle that rewards you for playing creatures of a certain race at common, and only three more at uncommon, and all of those are check-lords that only reward you for having 1 or more, not scaling lords that encourage you to have a whole mess of them. the scaling lords at sub-rare are all for classes. and the ones at rare are di-lords that reward you for running the race and the class, so they work fine in class decks still.

in effect, the actual limited tribes are the classes. the races are there for the keywords and flavor. thus, there are 10 basic strategies, just like normal. there's a bunch of side strategies if you want to lean into a race, but the primary archetypes are as prevalent as ever.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:43 am 

Identity: Male
I'm wondering if unveil should be worded so that the counter indicates the state where there's something you have to keep track of.

Charged (This creature enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it. When it attacks, remove a charge counter from it.)

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I'm wondering if unveil should be worded so that the counter indicates the state where there's something you have to keep track of.

Charged (This creature enters the battlefield with a charge counter on it. When it attacks, remove a charge counter from it.)

considered it, but it reads better as a single ability that describes the full effect. as a keyword, Charged does literally nothing. the focus of Unveil should be on the trigger, hence it functions best as an ability word. putting it in a keyword or a second ability puts a lot of emphasis on what is by far the least interesting part, the counter itself, which is only there for shady memory issue ****.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:59 am 

Identity: Male
I see it like evoke or strive. Both keywords are useless on their own, but they make sense when you take into account the card as a whole.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:10 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I see it like evoke or strive. Both keywords are useless on their own, but they make sense when you take into account the card as a whole.

right, but evoke puts the emphasis on the discount, which is where it belongs. strive puts it on the extra targets, and also Strive's aesthetic sucks. the important part of Unveil is "when this creature attacks for the first time", and that's drastically de-emphasized by any version that adds an extra ability just to switch when the counter appears.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:54 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I like how we both came up with unblockable mechanics for our Pirate-Ship interactions but our mechanics are completely flipped.

For reference, mine was:

Seafarer (This can't be blocked if a Ship is attacking the same player or planeswalker.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:51 am 

razorborne wrote:
existing pirates

Pirates are masters of naval warfare. in play, this manifests as an interdependence with Ships. Pirates are probably the hardest deck to put together correctly, but hey, it's UR, that's what they do. the pieces really fell together perfectly for this and I couldn't say no.

"Ships Matter" with Race Mechanics

lords!
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:36 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Weirdest common cantrip ever, this is the second common blue creature that doesn't really act like a creature in limited
is it? what's the other one?

Is this a card that needs a double colored mana simbol? Bentic giantand nimbus of the isle didn't.
needs is a strong word. it's a card that has it.

More pirates that don't give you tempo?
who said they did?

Can I see the ships now? this is weird with all these low power and toughness pirates.
sure you can, they've been posted for weeks in the archives.

This is a lot of mana at rare for no stat bonus.
comparable to rogue's gloves in effect, so copied its cost.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:09 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

If having a counter that doesn't do anything is an issue, why not just use a +1/+1 counter as a marker instead?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:18 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Fallingman wrote:
If having a counter that doesn't do anything is an issue, why not just use a +1/+1 counter as a marker instead?

it's not an issue, I just don't want to draw attention to it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
I like how we both came up with unblockable mechanics for our Pirate-Ship interactions but our mechanics are completely flipped.

For reference, mine was:

Seafarer (This can't be blocked if a Ship is attacking the same player or planeswalker.)

yeah, I went back and forth a lot on Master Raider, between having to block ships first and pirates first, but in the end I decided creature combat was more interesting because ships don't do anything when blocked, and the main focus of the deck wanted to be getting the ships through, since that's where the dope triggers lie.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:00 pm 

razorborne wrote:
Weirdest common cantrip ever, this is the second common blue creature that doesn't really act like a creature in limited
is it? what's the other one?

The 1/2 for three that reduces the cost of ships, by turn three attacking or blocking with it will come up pretty rarely.
I think the old familiar all had some kind of ability to make them matter in combat, or at least more power and toughness.
But I think I was referring to the 1/1 for :u:, I should stop hating 1/1 for :1: in limited.

Is this a card that needs a double colored mana simbol? Bentic giantand nimbus of the isle didn't.
needs is a strong word. it's a card that has it.

Fine, It's just that there aren't many double colored cards at common, and this could easily lose that if you needed something else to have it more.

More pirates that don't give you tempo?
who said they did?

Elude and assail felt very aggro.

Can I see the ships now? this is weird with all these low power and toughness pirates.
sure you can, they've been posted for weeks in the archives.

I'll look at them then.

Like this post