It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Assassins of Ossia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:00 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

there are many killers among the Isles, but the most dangerous of all are the cunning, patient assassins. unlike their more brutish compatriots, the assassins strike only as necessary, removing their targets in as efficient and ruthless a manner as possible. they identify the perfect moment to strike, wait until their target is at its most vulnerable, then launch exactly the attack needed to destroy them. their methods may differ, but the one thing all assassins share is that cold, merciless patience.

Assassins on the Isles

Assassins on Qelan: the Frigid are an anomaly among the Djinn, their ancestral hot tempers cooled by the ice caves of Alqin, the Seat of Death. the Frigid are a mercenary force, bringing their considerable might to bear for whichever Djinn brings them the most interesting toys. they are still Djinn, and thus are quick and brash by assassin standards, but among their kin their patience is legendary. in recent years, the Frigid have been withdrawing their services from Qelan society, taking fewer and fewer contracts against other Isles and expecting more compensation when they do.

Assassins on Epala: Assassins are an important political force on the Isle of Shadows. the Bounded Court governs for life, so the only way to stop a particularly vocal rival is to end their life. such treachery is common among the Fae, and in a way the intense distrust this sows is what holds Epala's society together. Assassins also serve a vital role in Epala's military endeavors. the Fae's diminutive size puts them at a severe disadvantage in fair fights, so the Assassins do everything they can to keep fights unfair. a common Fae tactic is having a few attackers distract their opponent while an Assassin gets into position and takes them out with a single blow.

Assassins on Teth: Assassins are most prevalent among Teth's navy. the Isle of Faces does not grow its population very fast, due to the long lives and low output of its citizens, so each Gargoyle's life is extremely valuable, especially at sea where the bodies can't be recovered. the Gargoyles prefer subterfuge and assassinations as a primary means of aggression to make sure that their lives are put at minimal risk and capitalize on their infinite patience. they strike under the cover of darkness with surgical precision, then disappear before they are discovered and return to Teth for safety.

existing Assassins

Assassins are patient, carefully stripping out their opponent's defenses until they're ready to strike. in gameplay, this takes the form of hand manipulation, both discard and draw. they aren't really an all-out discard deck (those aren't fun anyway) but they use discard tools to make sure they don't have to deal with your biggest problems.

"Hand manipulation" with Race mechanics

on to cards. as always, we have three lords:

Tiny Tormentor-
Creature-Faerie Assassin (C)
Flying
When Tiny Tormentor enters the battlefield, target player reveals his or her hand. You choose a nonland card from it with converted mana cost less than or equal to the number of Assassins you control. That player discards that card.
No one fights less fair than Faeries.
1/1

Basilian's Lookout-
Creature-Gargoyle Assassin (C)
Flying
Whenever you cast an Assassin spell, you may pay . If you do, draw a card.
"The perfect plan is worthless without an exit strategy."~Basilian
1/3

Frigid Enforcer-
Creature-Djinn Assassin (U)
Intimidate
Whenever an Assassin you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card unless they pay 2 life.
Not all questions have right answers.
3/2

and the non-lord common:

Alqin Gatekeeper-
Creature-Djinn Assassin (C)
Assail
Deathtouch
When Alqin Gatekeeper enters the battlefield, each player discards a card.
None enter the Seat of Death but those bound to its service.
1/3

and pants:

Blessing of Alqin-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature is unblockable.
When Blessing of Alqin enters the battlefield, if enchanted creature is an Assassin, draw a card.
"Ice caves are no home for true Djinn. The Frigid are cowards and Qelan has no need for them."~Temik Wildsong

Visageclad Armor-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +0/+4 and gains deathtouch and "Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card and you draw a card."
Equip-
Gargoyle armor carries the faces of their ancestry, to remind them what they're fighting for.

so that's Assassins. join us next time for Pirates!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:20 am 

Identity: Male
I enjoy how every class gets its own pants.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:32 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I enjoy how every class gets its own pants.

they only get one pair each though. there are 20 pants that the entire archipelago has to share. that's really what the war is about. (SPOILER)

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post