It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:32 am 

Identity: Wannabe Cyborg
Preferred Pronoun Set: He/His/Him
Greetings from a forum a couple of places below this fine forum.

My name is Yxoque, M:EMperor of the Expanded Multiverse. We've been talking about reaching out to other creative communities and YMtC is an obvious choice. This outreach will consists of contests.

*waits for the applause and cheering to die down*

The rules are simple. I give you one or more criteria based on characters, stories, locations or magic from the Expanded Multiverse and you design cards around them. After a while (let's say 48 hours), I will comment on the cards and declare a winner.

additional blabbering about how this will work

The Challenge:

I will ask you to make cards based on a lich. But not not just any undead wizard. No. A very powerful one. And what do all liches have? A phylactery.

The lich I'm talking about is named Vasilias and his phylactery is a city: Ariva.

Vasilias was a powerful planeswalker in the time before the Mending, ruling a planar empire, but after he lost his power, dire measures were needed and he hid his soul into his beloved city. In order to protect it, he cast the city out into the Blind Eternities. Here he waits for stray planeswalker he can influence and manipulate in order to regain power.

Because his mind and soul are tied to the city, he can use the entire city as a weapon. Buildings grow and collapse at his will, street patterns change and statues can kill. On top of that, Vasilias can use the memories of the former citizens to drive people mad. (if you want to see all this power in action, we have a story for that.)

Why am I telling you all this? Because I want you to design a card based on this lethal city. Show me how a city can be used as a weapon. You have 48 hours: go!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:15 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Ariva, Vasilias's Prison
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool.
Bestow (If you cast this card for its bestow cost, it's an Aura spell with enchant creature or planeswalker. It becomes a land again if it's not attached to a creature or planeswalker.)
You control enchanted creature or planeswalker.

Hmmm...that might not be weaponized enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm 

Arvia, the Dead City
Legendary Land
Exile a creature you control: Put a memory counter on Arvia, the Dead City
:t:: Add to your mana pool for each memory counter on Arvia
:t:, Put X cards exiled with Arvia into their owners' graveyards: Exile target creature with converted mana cost X or less and put a memory counter on Arvia.

I'd like to thank City of Shadows and Void Maw for this insane idea.

Edited to prevent machine-gun exiling all CMC 1 enemies for insane ramp at negligable cost to you.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:39 pm 

Ariva, the Soultropolis
Legendary Land
You do not lose the game for having 0 or less life.
At the beginning of each upkeep, if you have 0 or less life, transform Ariva, the Soultropolis.

/////////////////////////////////////

Vasilias, Lichlord of Ariva
() Legendary Creature - Skeleton Wizard
Your life total becomes the number of cards in your hand. If you would lose life, discard that many cards instead. If you would gain life, draw that many cards instead.
Discard a card: Choose one - Put a 1/1 black Spirit creature token with flying and deathtouch onto the battlefield; or each opponent discards a card; or Vasilias, Lichlord of Ariva is indestructible until the end of the turn.
6/6

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Last edited by AzureShade on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:40 pm 

Ariva, Last Throne of Vasilias
Plane - Ariva
Whenever you planeswalk to ~ or at the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice a creature, then choose a creature you control at random. Vasilias gains control of that creature until you planeswalk away.
Whenever you roll :chaos: choose a player at random. After this phase, Vasilias has a combat phase, during which all creatures he controls must attack that player if able.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:31 pm 

So, Vasilias was a planeswalker, who trapped/stored/imbued his soul into the city. Thus, it could be implied that the city itself is now "part" planeswalker (weakened be it may.) The entire city is now trapped in the Blind Eternities. Meanwhile he is using the city as lure for weaker or foolish planeswalkers to draw power from, probably in way of some boon or knowledge, since even a really naive planeswalker would need some kind of benefit for helping this mysterious entity.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:40 pm 

I actually made this about a year ago, but I can't remember what it was exactly since the cards I made weren't in text form.

I believe it was something like this, though.

Ariva, the Dead City
Land Planeswalker - Vasilias
When Ariva, the Dead City enters the battlefield, sacrifice it unless you sacrifice three untapped lands.
[+2]: Add :b::b::b: to your mana pool. You lose 3 life.
[-4]: Gain control of target creature or Planeswalker for as long as you control Ariva, the Dead City.
{3}

Edit: I feel like a short explanation is required. This card, as the name suggested, was inspired by The Dead City (Although I may have named the original "city of wonder", I honestly don't remember). The life loss when trying to draw mana from it represents the decayed state of Ariva, and the final ability was obviously based off of Vasilias' mind control.

I would like to say that requiring you to sacrifice your lands represented Vasilias destroying everyone in the city when he cast it into the multiverse to turn it into the decaying husk it is now, but that's giving my past self too much credit.

Last edited by Moonbeam on Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm 

Ariva, City of Dust
Legendary Enchantment
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Ariva, City of Dust unless you sacrifice a creature.
If a creature would deal damage, put a -1/-1 counter on that creature instead.
Whenever a creature dies, remove one loyalty counter from each planeswalker on the battlefield.

Last edited by YingLung on Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:26 pm 

Ariva, City of Madness
Legendary Land
[T]: Add [B] or [U] to your mana pool
At the beginning of your upkeep, target player may discard a card. If they don't, that player puts the top five cards of thier library into thier graveyard
[B][B][B], [T], discard a card: Destroy target creature

Not sure how to do symbols on this site

Pokemon Tabletob Adventures: Darkness Descends
Setup Zone. IC. OOC. Map.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:04 pm 

Avaria
Legendary Land
When ~ comes into play, choose a colour. Whenever a creature of the chosen colour comes into play, ~ becomes a 2/2 Construct creature until end of turn.

Last edited by Ko on Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:56 am 

Avaria, City of the Lich
Legendary Land
: Add to your mana pool. ~ deals 1 damage to you.
Whenever a creature attacks a black planeswalker you control, you may remove a loyalty counter from that planeswalker. If you do, ~ becomes a 3/3 black Horror creature with lifelink and indestructible until end of turn.

Last edited by Confused on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm 

Old Card

Sewers of Ariva
Legendary Land

During your upkeep, each player loses one life.
:t: :Add to your mana pool.
, :t: :Tap target creature an opponent controls. Put a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield. It is a black Zombie in addition to it's other types.

Spoiler

Last edited by PeregrineV on Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:24 pm 

PeregrineV wrote:
Sewers of Ariva
Legendary Land

:t: :Exile target creature an opponent controls. Put a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield. It is a black Zombie in addition to it's other types.

this card is a little underpowered you should consider buffing it

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:27 pm 

Ko wrote:
PeregrineV wrote:
Sewers of Ariva
Legendary Land

:t: :Exile target creature an opponent controls. Put a token that is a copy of that creature onto the battlefield. It is a black Zombie in addition to it's other types.
That is unabashed sarcasm in case you were thinking of taking that advice seriously.

If anything your second ability is off the charts crazy powerful. It should have a real cost and maybe not steal things directly from play.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:34 pm 

PeregrineV wrote:
Sewers of Ariva
Legendary Land

Normally I don't comment on other people's cards but... holy superland, batman! this makes Ancient Tomb and Maze of Ith look like straight up jokes. I mean, why would anyone ever play either of those two with this existing? I mean, maybe along side this, but not instead. Every deck would run four for the second activated ability alone, and nonblack decks would be happy with it tapping for :2m: in the event their opponent has no creatures out to steal. Seriously, there are members of the P9 that don't own the game this totally. If your opponent plays creatures and you lead with this, you just win since not only can you throw off a free Path to Exile every single turn, but instead of your opponent getting a land, you get the creature you just nuked. And if he doesn't, you probably still win because you're making extra mana for essentially no cost, seeing as the upkeep drain is a) going to be negligible since the game will be over long before it kills you (see: Phyrexian Arena) and b) is hitting your opponent too

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
Ko wrote:
PeregrineV wrote:
Sewers of Ariva
Legendary Land

That is unabashed sarcasm in case you were thinking of taking that advice seriously.

If anything your second ability is off the charts crazy powerful. It should have a real cost and maybe not steal things directly from play.

I'm glad you cleared that up- I thought it was probably adequately powered for a living city that is a weapon and the container for a lich's soul. But, I did read Tevish's explanation, and, absent other cards except those printed, he has a point.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:56 pm 

Vasilias, Lich King of Ariva -

Planeswalker - Vasilias

Hexproof

When ~ enters the battlefield, target Plains or Swamp you control becomes a Legendary Plains Swamp named "Ariva, the Dead City."

If you control no land named "Ariva, the Dead City", sacrifice ~.

+1: Destroy target creature or planeswalker. Return that permanent to the battlefield under your control.

+1: Creatures cannot attack planeswalkers you control on each of your opponents next turns.

[4]

Spoiler

Last edited by RuwinReborn on Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:00 pm 

so if you cast him and you don't control any plains or swamps he just stays alive forever

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:49 pm 

Ko wrote:
so if you cast him and you don't control any plains or swamps he just stays alive forever

fixt.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:09 pm 

Identity: genderqueer
Preferred Pronoun Set: zie/zin/zir/zirs/zinself
I feel like having had a hand in designing the plane Ariva was ripped from, I have an unfair advantage, but on the other hand you folks actually know how to design cards and I don't, soooo...

Hollow Halls of Ariva
Legendary Land
:t:: add :1: to your mana pool.
Whenever you play another land, exile ~.
As long as ~ is exiled, you may play it as though
it was in your hand. If you do, exile target creature
and ~ deals damage to you equal to the number of
lands you control.

Pretty weird, but I kinda like how it works... I thiiiink the limitations of when you can actually use this keep it from being too overpowered, but it still seems pretty strong... maybe adding a cost to exile it would work?

EDIT: Added a damage clause to balance it a bit more and a mana ability.

Oh, and for the record, here's the (ex)man himself:

Last edited by KeeperofManyNames on Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post