It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Advisors of Ossia
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Advisors are the wisest beings on Ossia. hailing from various Isles, they offer wisdom and insight to those around them. how they gain that insight and what it leads them to suggest varies from Isle to Isle, but the basic premise of the elder statesfolk remains the same. Advisors tend to be a cautious lot: they hail from the three most guarded, peaceful Isles. they tend to prefer biding time until the moment is right, although for what of course varies widely. Advisors are not people of action, but when roused they prefer clear, deliberate approaches that minimize damage and eliminate the threat as quickly as possible.

Advisors on Teth: Teth's Advisors are the Grotesques. ancient Gargoyles marked by centuries of scars and wear, the Grotesques hold the distinction of deep personal experience. while all Gargoyles share in the collective wisdom of the Petram Memoriam, the Grotesques carry their own wisdom as well. the Grotesques remember a time before the war, a time where Teth thrived in isolation, and many desire to go back to that time. while they disagree on how to achieve that, the Grotesques all favor a slow, careful approach, one informed by their long, long lives.

Advisors on Milor: Advisors on Milor can be found among the Windkin as ambassadors or the Lightkin as tacticians, but the true Advisors of the Isle of Flames are the Wavekin. as deep and ponderous as the seas in which they alone make their home, the Wavekin are slow to act, but truly terrifying when they rise to war. the Wavekin believe that it is only a matter of time before the conflict reaches their shores, and push for action to be taken against their enemies before it's too late.

Advisors on Korrath: while Korrath's wisdom-seeking culture means any wolf could be called an Advisor to other Isles, the true claimants to the title are the Mourners, the leaders of packs. trained from a very young age to lead their people, Mourners carry with them the wisdom and the stories of their Isle. the Mourners mostly advocate peace, leveraging Korrath's distant location to avoid the war. however, they are not fools, and carefully monitor the other Isles' movements, to make sure they are prepared should war reach the Isle of Packs.

existing Advisors

Advisors are a caution, non-violent group. mechanically, they take the role of the mill deck. I know white doesn't normally mill, but it fits the flavor of the Advisors perfectly so I'm making the stretch. to smooth the transition and make things feel a little more white, I'm using white's favorite word, "exile". they won't be nearly as fast a mill deck but they will make up for that defensively. they're mostly a control deck with a mill win condition, not really a mill deck per se. think The Deck with millstone, not some glimpse the unthinkable nonsense.

"Control Mill" with race mechanics

and the cards! the three lords:

Feeble Mourner-
Creature-Wolf Advisor (C)
Defender
Whenever Feeble Mourner or another Advisor enters the battlefield under your control, target player exiles the top card of their library.
"I am not long for this world. I hear Mourner's Mount call to me, but there is one task left before I answer."
0/3

Tidal Echoes-
Creature-Elemental Advisor (C)
, : Target player exiles the top X cards of their library, where X is the number of Advisors you control. Activate this ability only as a sorcery.
The waves whisper war.
2/3

Faceless Grotesque-
Creature-Gargoyle Advisor (U)
Flying
Whenever an Advisor you control blocks a creature, that creature's controller exiles the top two cards of their library.
No one wants war less than those who have already fought it.
2/5

and then the general enabler dude...

Portbound Ancient-
Creature-Gargoyle Advisor (C)
Hardened (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to this creature, prevent that damage.)
Portbound Ancient can't attack unless defending player controls an Island.
"The wise and the brave can spend all the time in the world plotting grand strategies, but in the meantime someone has to watch the docks."
3/3

get it? "controls an island"? I'm clever. and some pants...

Tireless Pontification-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
Enchanted creature can't attack.
If enchanted creature is an Advisor, it gains ": Target player exiles the top two cards of his or her library."
"While Teth crumbles and falls, the Grotesques will still be debating the merits of war."~Obsidius

Mournstone-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
Equipped creature gets +0/+3 and gains "at the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, that player exiles the top card of their library."
Equip
A trinket from the Calling Hills, the Mournstones are a symbol of power and a reminder of duty.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:48 pm 

Identity: Male
This faction is pretty neat.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:56 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

This faction is pretty neat.

thanks

on review I realized Faceless Grotesque should probably trigger off blocking permanents rather than creatures, what with War Machine and all. updated in the file.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:23 am 

For memory reasons unveil should start with the spark counter, then remove it after attacking - it reads more easily in gameplay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:23 am 

For memory reasons unveil should start with the spark counter, then remove it after attacking - it reads more easily in gameplay.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:30 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

that makes the wording much longer for very little gain.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:47 pm 

Sure, it adds a sentence, but the gain is that it is much faster to read which creatures still have unused unveil abilities and ensures there aren't a bunch of useless counters lying around on cards that do nothing. Most unveil cards are vanilla/french plus the unveil (I assume from extrapolating your examples) so it's more grokkable, in my opinion at least, to have the counter be removed to 'use' the ability rather than placed to mark that it has been used. The counter can be referenced by other cards, but from what you wrote earlier about the defensiveness of advisors I'd imagine it'd be more pertinent to reference those who hadn't yet attacked.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:56 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Morgothra wrote:
Sure, it adds a sentence, but the gain is that it is much faster to read which creatures still have unused unveil abilities and ensures there aren't a bunch of useless counters lying around on cards that do nothing. Most unveil cards are vanilla/french plus the unveil (I assume from extrapolating your examples) so it's more grokkable, in my opinion at least, to have the counter be removed to 'use' the ability rather than placed to mark that it has been used. The counter can be referenced by other cards, but from what you wrote earlier about the defensiveness of advisors I'd imagine it'd be more pertinent to reference those who hadn't yet attacked.

Unveil isn't an advisor mechanic, it's an Elemental mechanic. I agree that that feels better, but I just don't think it's worth adding a whole second ability. it can't just add a sentence, it has to have separate abilities: one a replacement effect that adds the counter, and the other a trigger that removes it. that means an ability word that applies across multiple separate abilities. while the gameplay is slightly smoother, the added costs are completely not worth it.

and I have no intention of referencing the counter, it's just a reminder.

Like this post