It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Minions of Ossia
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Ossia is home to many craftsman, artisans, and experts. this is not about them. the Minions sit at the bottom rungs of the societal ladder on each Isle they inhabit. while each culture defines and treats them differently, they all share one thing in common: they are bound in service to their Isle. they represent the underclass, eminently disposable in the singular but irreplaceable as a whole. their Isles could not function without them, but there are so many that they can be discarded as necessary.

Minions on the Isles

Minions on Telimar: the Dryads have Minions among many Orders. the Nightwalkers are masters of entomology, keeping insect populations from overrunning the Isle. the Leafbenders tend the canopies of the tallest trees, letting sunlight through to the forests below. the Branchcasters turn old, dead trees into useful shapes, like boats and weapons. the Murmurers bury the dead to return them to the Isle. but the most powerful Order of Minions are the Desecrators. the Desecrators have sacrificed their Home Trees to devote themselves to Telimar. terrifying warriors bound to a single purpose, the Desecrators serve as somewhat of an elite among the worker Dryads. while the Sophisticates, Acolytes, Dewdrinkers, and the like walk around pontificating with their heads in the clouds, the Desecrators, and the Minions in general, set aside their needs to do what must be done in service to the Isle of Arbors.

Minions on Teth: there are two main roles among the Gargoyles that one could describe as Minions: the Farwatchers and the Stoneshapers. Farwatchers sit the Warden's Watch, 512 perches evenly spaced around the top of the Slatefall. they may sit for years, or even decades, not moving, simply watching. the Stoneshapers work the Brooding Pit, crafting new forms to be infused with the Petram Vitae and Petram Memoriam that bring the Gargoyles to life. however, in a way all Gargoyles are Minions, bound in their collective consciousness to the service of Teth.

Minions on Chirom: the Unspoken are the Minions among the Bats. warped hybrids born sterile and without wings, the Unspoken exist only to serve the purebred Bats. they are subjugated and discarded as suits the whims of their lords. in recent years, though, a movement has been growing among the Unspoken. called the Undersociety, it marks a turning point in Chirom's society. the Unspoken have grown weary of their chains and are rising up against their former masters. led by Piker the Low, the Undersociety aims to liberate the Unspoken, though as yet it bides its time beneath the surface, waiting for the moment to strike.

existing Minions

Minions are disposable. mechanically, this takes the form of a sacrifice/recursion deck. individual Minions are worthless: only the whole unit matters.

"Sacrifice Matters" with race mechanics

anyway, let's get to cards! I'm going to be showing off various cycles in these threads, like before. first are three cycles of lords:

Stone Warden-
Creature-Gargoyle Minion (C)
Flying
Sacrifice a Minion: Put a +1/+1 counter on Stone Warden.
"The security of Teth's borders is paramount. Any of my Farwatchers would die to protect the Isle."~Obsidius
2/1

Echo Keeper-
Creature-Bat Minion (C)
, Sacrifice a Minion: Gain 3 life.
A revolution is nothing without a home to defend.
2/2

Desecrator Corporal-
Creature-Dryad Minion (U)
Whenever you sacrifice a Minion, you may pay 1 life. If you do, draw a card.
"Every scar borne by the Isle of Arbors will be avenged a thousandfold."~Desecrator oath
2/2

the next is a cycle that doesn't name-check the class but plays well with it and carries a race keyword.

Desiccated Murmurer-
Creature-Dryad Minion (C)
Plainsform (, : This creature becomes a Plains land. You may pay any time you could cast a sorcery to end this effect.)
When Desiccated Murmurer dies, you may return target creature card with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
The Murmurers plant the dead so their spirits may rise again.
1/3

and finally a couple things for Minions to wear:

Fanatical Plunge-
Enchantment-Aura (C)
Enchant Creature
When enchanted creature blocks or becomes blocked by a creature, sacrifice enchanted creature and destroy the other creature.
When enchanted creature dies, if it's a Minion, return it to its owner's hand.
Only a truly desperate soul would trust their fate to the Great Deep.

Ashbark Staff-
Artifact-Equipment (R)
When equipped creature dies, create a 1/1 white and black Dryad Minion creature token.
Equip
"We do not rest until Telimar is safe. Whatever the cost, whatever the course required. This is our task, this is our fate."~Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator

yay that's that. next time is Advisors hooray

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:58 pm 

Identity: Male
There is a lot more complexity and interwoven interaction to this set than I thought. Props to you for that.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

There is a lot more complexity and interwoven interaction to this set than I thought. Props to you for that.

:bravo:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:50 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: It
Ashbark staff is underpowered, especially for a rare. 3 mana to make a 1/1 vanilla token just sucks, plus initial 3 to cast, plus all the additional hoop jumping.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Ashbark staff is underpowered, especially for a rare. 3 mana to make a 1/1 vanilla token just sucks, plus initial 3 to cast, plus all the additional hoop jumping.

I was being cautious with it, because it turns on infinite sacrificing, but maybe I could drop the equip to 2.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 2:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I can also make the tokens 1/3s.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:22 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: It
what do you mean by infinite sacrificing? There are tons of cards that generate sacrifice fodder more easily than the staff. reassembling skeleton ant queen jade mage nuisance engine bloodghast awakening zone etcetc

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

what do you mean by infinite sacrificing? There are tons of cards that generate sacrifice fodder more easily than the staff. reassembling skeleton ant queen jade mage nuisance engine bloodghast awakening zone etcetc

none that do it repeatably and colorlessly, to my knowledge. but yeah comparing to Skeleton I think I'll drop equip to 2 and maybe make the tokens 1/3s. better to differentiate sizes anyway since I already have a 1/1 token.

Like this post