It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:27 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Epala, The Isle Of Shadows

Epala is home to the Fae of Ossia. this encompasses many different species, including Faeries, Pixies, Brownies, Sprites, and Leprechauns. Epala is an island of bogs, marshes, and swamps. its shores are covered in mangrove forests. Epala also has a rich canopy of swamp trees, which block the sun on most parts of the Isle. the Fae are a scheming lot, each with their own aspirations of control of Epala. most operate alone, and when they work together, backstabbing abounds. the Fae have long believed themselves to be the children of the earth and the trees, and while interactions with the Worldkin of Milor and the Dryads of Telimar has shaken that belief, they still hold a deep connection with the dark bayous they call home.

their diminutive size makes the Fae the most populous race on Ossia. the Isle is teeming with them. in conflict with other Isles, they have learned to use these numbers to their advantage, distracting and harrying their opponents while others prepare for the kill. these tactics help them to compensate for their lack of physical prowess. in a fair fight, a single Fae couldn't hold its own against anything but a child from the other Isles, but the Fae are quite adept at ensuring that they are never trapped in a fair fight. they have worked hard to disseminate rumors among the other Isles of great weapons and terrible magic hidden behind the darkness of the Isle of Shadows.

Society of Epala

Epala is led by the Bounded Court, a collection of a couple hundred Fae who together serve as its governing body. service to the Court is the highest aspiration of any Fae on Epala. service is by invitation, and it lasts for life. of course, the invitation system makes the entire thing rife with politics and scheming: the support of a third of the Court is needed to invite a new member, and everyone is looking to bring on more allies. on the surface, this is to bring in the wisdom of the greatest leaders of Epala, and to let new voices be heard, but in practice it's a mad power grab for the established leaders held in check only by the self-interested schemes of their supporters. the Court as a whole speaks for Epala, and as the conflicts of Ossia have grown, the Court has become even more important, defining Epala's foreign policy and its war strategies. the Court rarely meets in full session, but members remain in contact at all times, plotting with and against each other, often at the same time.

Notable Locations of Epala

The Greylands: Epala is a fairly uniform Isle, with swamps and bogs leading into each other ad nauseam. the Greylands are the term the Fae have for this lower level, shrouded in darkness and choked with fetid water. despite the name, the Greylands are full of life: most Fae prefer it to the bright lights up above. the Greylands are dotted with Leprechaun Cairns, small stone constructs that serve as homes for the Fae. (despite the name, other Fae have taken residence in the Cairns besides Leprechauns.)

The Canopy: in contrast to the Greylands, the Canopy sits above the trees of Epala, and is open to the Sun. most Fae avoid it, but some Pixies have adapted to claim it as their own. there, they serve as watchers for coming invasions. it's also much easier to navigate than the dark, wet lands below, so many of the flying Fae flit up there as necessary to find their way around the Isle. Leprechauns, Brownies, and other wingless Fae have been known to climb the trees and clamber along branches as well, but most tend to prefer to stay on the ground.

The Great Cairn: breaking the monotony of the Greylands landscape is the Great Cairn, a massive (by Fae standards) pile of stones sitting on a wide patch of dry land. the trees around it have been cleared, leaving it open to the Sun, the only part of the surface of the Isle that its light touches besides the coasts. the Great Cairn is where members of the Bounded Court are buried when they die: each stone on the pile represents a Fae interred there. the Fae are not usually the most sentimental folks about death: most of their dead are discarded in the swamps to return to the Isle. the Bounded Court, however, is special, and its members are treated with more respect. on the rare occasions where the Bounded Court needs to meet in full, it is always at the Great Cairn, to allow past members to be present as well.

Notable Individuals of Epala

Dwimmek the Farsighted: Dwimmek is queen of the Canopy. she claims to be the best watcher of all the Pixies, and none challenge her claim. one of the youngest members of the Bounded Court, Dwimmek has led expeditions to other Isles and come back with huge plunders, earning her the respect of many among the Fae. what she doesn't tell them is that everything she and her crew bring back was given willingly. Dwimmek works with the Council of Ossia. she brings back goods from the other Isles, and as time progresses she plans to push toward opening trade routes. of course, she hasn't told the Council how she plans to control and exploit those trade routes to earn herself full control of the Isle, but the wiser among the Council know not to completely trust a Fae.

Kiber the Stout: a Leprechaun and the current presumed leader of the Bounded Court, Kiber commands great respect on the Isle of Shadows. in his youth, he fell from a tree while trying to climb to the Canopy, shattering his right leg. since then he has walked with a cane and kept to the Greylands, preaching the avoidance of the Canopy and the dangerous Sun. he is a spiritual leader on Epala, deeply in tune with the marshes and bogs, channeling them to perform great magic. it is said that Kiber hears what the swamps hear, and on Epala the swamps hear everything.

Simi, Shadowsword Harrier: in her day, Simi was perhaps the finest warrior on Epala, the first Fae to kill a troll. but as time went by, the old Faerie's strength drained, leaving her frail and weak in her old age. or, at least, so she is happy to let the rest of the Bounded Court believe. in truth, Simi remains as sharp and as dangerous as ever, but she found that when she was considered a threat it was much harder to achieve her goals. by feigning weakness and dementia she has become one of the most powerful voices on the Court, not least in part due to the mysterious disappearances of potential rivals. Simi's days as a warrior have left her with a deep disdain for the other Isles, and she is a strong advocate for full extermination.

the three classes of Epala are Druid, Scout, and Assassin. (note that all the different races of Fae are under the blanket race Faerie, which Magic has done before.)

Mechanics of Epala

the Faerie keyword is Pester:

Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)

this represents the Faeries' distracting tactics, keeping you too preoccupied to utilize your tools effectively. leaving it out of white is a bit of an experiment, since taxing is often white, but in blue it's a natural expansion of mana leak and spiketail hatchling effects, and in green it's noncreature hate and also a subtle city of solitude deal because it punishes decks that wants to do things on both turns. black is kind of just along for the ride, but both black and green are secondary LD colors, so they get mana disruption. I could see Pester in white as well, but it fits exactly what the Faeries want to do so I'm ok with it in these colors.

Foulmouthed Kneecapper-
Creature-Faerie Scout Druid (C)
Pester (The first noncreature spell each opponent casts each turn costs more to cast.)
The first sign of a leprechaun attack is the sound of obscenities on the wind.
1/1

Harrier Sprite-
Creature-Faerie Assassin Scout (C)
Flying
Harrier Sprite can only block creatures with flying.
"The Fae don't win by crushing force. We just keep you off-balance until you fall of your own accord."
2/1

Bounded Noble-
Creature-Faerie Druid Assassin (C)
Flying
When Bounded Noble enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens. (They don't have flying.)
All of Epala bows before the Court.
2/2

Canopy Keeper-
Creature-Faerie Scout (U)
Flying
Whenever Canopy Keeper deals combat damage to a player, if you control another Faerie, draw a card.
From the top of the trees, a keen watcher can see for miles.
1/1

Magic of Epala

the Fae are a tricky bunch. they also really on their great numbers to carry them to victory.

Brownie Attack-
Sorcery (C)
Create two 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens. If you control another Faerie, draw a card.
Sometimes the subtlest approach is a frontal assault. That's what Brownies are for.

Channel The Greylands-
Instant (U)
If you control a Faerie, Channel The Greylands costs less to cast.
Channel The Greylands deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life.
Sometimes even the Fae forget the depths of Kiber's power.

Song of Shadows-
Sorcery (R)
Gain control of target creature. If you control a Faerie, put a shadow counter on the targeted creature and it gains flying and hexproof. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"A well-placed word can turn a thousand blades."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier

and that, folks, is the final Isle! next we'll take a quick break to look at some lands, then we'll start our class breakdowns. see you then!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:59 pm 

Bounded Noble-
Creature-Faerie Druid Assassin (C)
Flying
When Bounded Noble enters the battlefield, create three 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens. (They don't have flying.)
All of Epala bows before the Court.
2/2

Are you sure that this is a common?

Canopy Keeper-
Creature-Faerie Scout (U)
Flying
Whenever Canopy Keeper deals combat damage to a player, if you control another Faerie, draw a card.
From the top of the trees, a keen wa.tcher can see for miles.
1/1

Interesting, for this to draw a card on turn 3 you need to tap out or play the terrible 1 drop, feels different from the usual faerie flavour, while still being acceptable

Brownie Attack-
Sorcery (C)
Create two 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens. If you control another Faerie, draw a card.
Sometimes the subtlest approach is a frontal assault. That's what Brownies are for.

This can be pretty annoying, careful with the number of one and two drop faeries.

Channel The Greylands-
Instant (U)
If you control a Faerie, Channel The Greylands costs less to cast.
Channel The Greylands deals 3 damage to target creature or player and you gain 3 life.
Sometimes even the Fae forget the depths of Kiber's power.

So it's a buffed Prowl?

Song of Shadows-
Sorcery (R)
Gain control of target creature. If you control a Faerie, put a shadow counter on the targeted creature and it gains flying and hexproof. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
"A well-placed word can turn a thousand blades."~Simi, Shadowsword Harrier

Since protecting themselves from noncreature spells is already the theme of the faeries this feels a bit underpowered.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:03 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Are you sure that this is a common?
black gets 5 power at common sometimes. at 6 I don't think it's too dangerous, but I could probably be talked into going down to two tokens. it has to cost 6 though, so making only 2 feels pretty weak.

This can be pretty annoying, careful with the number of one and two drop faeries.
it's probably on par with gilt-leaf ambush. dropping to sorcery and losing the deathtouch trigger seems like enough for a shot at a card draw.

So it's a buffed Prowl?
Prowl needs you to do damage. this (and the rest of the cycle) only need you to have the thing.

Since protecting themselves from noncreature spells is already the theme of the faeries this feels a bit underpowered.
I considered making it an instant. thoughts?

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm 

The six drop is pretty efficient compared to Ponyback brigade and reminds me of goblin rally, making the rare sorcery an instant could be interesting to test, you are probably right on the green token maker.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

The six drop is pretty efficient compared to Ponyback brigade and reminds me of goblin rally, making the rare sorcery an instant could be interesting to test, you are probably right on the green token maker.

Brigade might be a good comparison, though I'm not sure how much Morph plays into it. but it's a very strong card. maybe I should bump it down to two tokens, all the other Faeriemakers so far make two tokens anyway. it makes it significantly weaker, but I think you might be right that it's too good as is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:18 pm 

Maybe drop the noble itself to 1/1 instead? if it makes two tokens it could be a 2/3.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:21 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I think the 6 drop is fine at common. Common 6 drops without morph have to do a lot to be MDable in limited.

I think Song of Shadows should be cheaper.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
I think the 6 drop is fine at common. Common 6 drops without morph have to do a lot to be MDable in limited.
I'll think about it.

Cato wrote:
I think Song of Shadows should be cheaper.
I'd rather it be an instant than be cheaper, and I'm pretty sure I can't do both. maybe if it untapped as well if you had a Faerie, so it could be a combat trick?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 pm 

Test User (1)
Why are they not shades : (

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:54 pm 

Test User (1)
I have less problem with power but more problem with bodies. Brigade cost 3 different colors of mana to cast. I see it as a 7-8 to cast spell if translated to mono color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:08 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
Why are they not shades : (

because Shades are boring. note that the decision to make them Faeries was made pre-Lorwyn, where there were maybe 20-30 faeries, ever. Lorwyn ruined everything but I won't let them ruin my Faeries.

theatog wrote:
I have less problem with power but more problem with bodies. Brigade cost 3 different colors of mana to cast. I see it as a 7-8 to cast spell if translated to mono color.
as Cato points out, Morph on Brigade is extremely relevant. on power Cloudgoat Ranger is a good comparison, although it's not common. with that in mind I think it's probably best to drop Noble to two tokens and maybe give it a third toughness to compensate.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:31 am 
YMtC Champ '12

My issue is one of color adherence and total body count. Saying that it's a 5/5 for 6 isn't quite right. Having a hoard of tokens complicates boards in ways that a simple 5/5 doesn't from multiple blocks to anthem effects to sacrifice machines and so on. I wouldn't even expect to see this at common in white.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:33 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Bounded? Also 3 tokens is a bit much, they are pretty wimpy tokens though.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

My issue is one of color adherence and total body count. Saying that it's a 5/5 for 6 isn't quite right. Having a hoard of tokens complicates boards in ways that a simple 5/5 doesn't from multiple blocks to anthem effects to sacrifice machines and so on. I wouldn't even expect to see this at common in white.

man, icatian crier was common in white.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:00 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

a little research shows that there are 7 creatures that make three tokens when they enter the battlefield. 2 of those are common. it's not something that happens frequently, but it happens at common about as much as it happens anywhere else. I think I'm going with the 3 1/1s version. on color, three are white, two are black, three are red, and one is green.

note also that, of the 5 non-common ones, 4 have a second ability that lets the tokens do more, which Noble does not. captain of the watch makes them vigilant bears. cloudgoat ranger has them help it jump. siege-gang commander makes them shocks. even guardian of cloverdell lets you turn them into life if you want. only sengir autocrat doesn't do extra, and autocrat is originally from Homelands.

Last edited by razorborne on Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:03 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

LilyStorm wrote:
Bounded?

verb [ with obj. ] (usu. be bounded)
form the boundary of; enclose: the ground was bounded by a main road on one side and a meadow on the other.
• place within certain limits; restrict: freedom of action is bounded by law.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:32 am 

Identity: Male
Not a fan of "mana disruption, the mechanic." Song of Shadows is cool though.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Not a fan of "mana disruption, the mechanic."

you know, I somehow suspected that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:34 am 

I have to agree with CKY. The way this can stack pretty much becomes Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, which is seems more dominating than the other mechanics. I guess it may not be too bad since limited is creature heavy anyways.

That ties into the Bounded Noble argument too though, while the noble itself doesn't do anything with the tokens, this is a tribes matters block, meaning those tokens will be very relevant. It also has an ability which disrupts the opponent.

So that's Evasion, 5 power, mechanic enabling, and disruption all on a Common body.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

POSValkir wrote:
I have to agree with CKY. The way this can stack pretty much becomes Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, which is seems more dominating than the other mechanics. I guess it may not be too bad since limited is creature heavy anyways.
it can't come anywhere near Erayo, because Erayo affects creatures.

POSValkir wrote:
That ties into the Bounded Noble argument too though, while the noble itself doesn't do anything with the tokens, this is a tribes matters block, meaning those tokens will be very relevant. It also has an ability which disrupts the opponent.

So that's Evasion, 5 power, mechanic enabling, and disruption all on a Common body.
mana disruption is a lot less powerful when it costs 6. and, in limited, the tribes are mostly the classes, which the tokens lack, so they're not really that relevant besides being 1/1s.

Like this post