It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Milor, The Isle Of Flames

Milor is home to the Worldkin, the Elementals of Ossia. the most mysterious of all the Isles, Milor hides itself behind a giant shroud of flame to keep outsiders away. no one but the Worldkin have set foot on or even seen the Isle, and not much is known about its inhabitants either. where they come from, how they exist, and what they want and do are all unknown. it is inaccurate to think of a singular Worldkin: each entity appears to be made of many smaller entities working in tandem, and it is unclear how far down this subdivision goes, or if there is ever a point at which a single being can be defined. in fact, the Worldkin believe that they are all part of a single being. as such they have no language of their own, though they can imitate the sounds of other races well enough to communicate with them.

in total, six types of Worldkin populate Milor. the calm, patient, and wise Wavekin are the only beings alive known to be able to survive the waters of the Infinite Sea. they alone were able to traverse between Isles before the war came, and no one but the Worldkin know why they chose not to. the flitting, temperamental Windkin, who take the form of miniature tornadoes when they take any visible form at all, watch the Isle from above for invaders. the raging, violent Flamekin, no more than floating balls of fire, are paramount warriors, and are primarily responsible for the Veil of Milor that shrouds the Isle. the inscrutable Goldkin, generally the most humanoid in shape, are beings of swirling precious metals shaped into bipedal forms. the peaceful, meandering Earthkin, piles of rock and stone brought together by unknown forces, wander Milor, unconcerned with the surrounding war. finally, the quick, dangerous Lightkin, living bolts of lightning, stand guard against the coming invasions.

Society of Milor

Milor exists in a paradoxical state of individualistic collectivism. while the Worldkin do not concern themselves with the activities of others on Milor, the collective nature of Worldkin existence means that their fates and roles are deeply intertwined. the Worldkin are led by the Voice of the World, a single ruler with six facets: the Soul of Waves, the Breath of Wind, the Heart of Flames, the Hand of Gold, the Mind of Earth, and the Song of Light. while each may have their own beliefs and may act separately from the others, the Voice of the World is, at least according to the Worldkin, a single being, whose disagreements and quarrels are analogous to indecision.

Notable locations of Milor

The Veil of Milor: not just the most dominant, but the only feature that outsiders see of Milor, the Veil of Milor is a titanic ring of flame surrounding the Isle, and the source of its title. just within the Veil, hundreds of Flamekin ships circle, waiting for an enemy to draw too close. Worldkin can pass through the Veil without harm, although Windkin often go over while Wavekin glide under, but no other species on Ossia, not even the Gargoyles, can withstand the heat, and even if they could most of their boats are made of wood. the Veil is Milor's first and last line of defense, and to this day it has never been broken.

The Crystalline Chamber: moving inward to Milor itself, the Crystalline Chamber is the home of the Voice of the World. it is a giant, crystalline structure erupting from the middle of the Isle, an enormous diamond jutting out of the landscape. hollow on the inside, the six facets of the Voice of the World sit within. while there are no entrances or exits, the facets may project themselves into any Worldkin of their type, so that they may wander the Isle as they need. at any given moment, any Flamekin could be the Heart of Flames. within the Crystalline Chamber, nothing can hurt them, and even should Milor fall they are protected.

The Worldscape: the rest of the island's shape is in constant flux, changing at the whims of its residents. where the day before some Earthkin may have made a mountain, the next day there might be a stream left by passing Wavekin. this roiling, unpredictable turmoil is known to the Worldkin as the Worldscape, ever-changing yet always the same. on the occasions where Worldkin have visited other Isles, they have not demonstrated this reshaping power, though whether that is because they can't or simply don't want to is unknown.

Notable Individuals of Milor

(note: I've usually done 3 here, but in the interest of fairness I'm going to cover all 6 facets of the Voice of the World.)

The Soul of Waves: the Wavekin are considered the wisest of the Worldkin, tied as they are to the slow, ponderous ocean. The Soul of Waves thus serves as the voice of cold, compassionless reason. they see danger on the horizon: the war among the Isles will eventually have a winner, and whoever that is will have vastly more resources than Milor. best, they argue, to begin to seize other Isles now, so that when war turns toward the Isle of Flames, they are prepared.

The Breath of Wind: the Windkin soar high above Milor and the other Isles. in their time riding the winds, they have grown fond of the other Isles and don't wish to see them destroyed. the Breath of Wind pushes for peace, arguing that if Milor would intervene in the war they could bring about lasting accord. the Windkin have refused to fight, even avoiding conflict that comes to the Veil. they have been called cowards, but they stand by their principles and push the Isle toward peace.

The Heart of Flames: the Flamekin are the most interested of the Worldkin in going out into Ossia. they have taken quickly to sailing, dominating a landscape once ruled by the Wavekin alone. the Flamekin despise the Wavekin, and the Heart of Flames are no different, brashly opposing the Soul of Waves' actions. they don't care for peace, but the long, slow strategic ploys of the Soul of Waves hold no interest to them. the Flamekin will happily attack a vessel that comes too near them, but have no interest in expanding Milor's borders.

The Hand of Gold: the Goldkin are somewhat of an enigma, even among the Worldkin. no one is quite sure what their goals are. however, whatever their plans or desires, one thing is clear: the Goldkin want war. they bait the Flamekin into raiding further and further beyond the Veil, taunt the Windkin for their passivity, and lure the Lightkin with misdirection to strike out at other Isles. their reasons are unknown except to the Hand of Gold, and they aren't telling.

The Mind of Earth: the Earthkin are wanderers, rolling around the Worldscape with neither source nor destination in mind. while the other Worldkin dismiss them as simple-minded, the Earthkin actually possess a deep cunning, and their thoughtless image is a cultivated facade. similarly, the Mind of Earth does not advocate for their true views, at least not loudly. the Mind, and by extension the Earthkin as a whole, have joined forces with the Council of Ossia. the Voice of the World know about the Council, but most suspect the outspoken Breath of Wind to be its agent, a mistake the Mind of Earth happily lets them believe. they bide their time, waiting until the time is right for the landslide.

The Song of Light: the Lightkin are Milor's sentinels and elite infantry. while the Flamekin do most of the combat, when the Lightkin step in, things end quickly. they are also the chief tacticians of Milor's war efforts. much like their Flamekin brethren, the Lightkin care little for expansion. they are amenable to preemptive strikes, attacking other Isles to keep them from bringing the fight to Milor's doorstep, but if the war ended tomorrow the Lightkin would be happy to retreat back to their Isle. the Song of Light is the least active facet of the Voice of the World, as its squabbles and conflicts do not concern them. they do their job, keep Milor safe, and let the others argue about grander plans.

the classes of Milor are Pirate, Nomad, and Advisor.

Mechanics of Milor

the Elemental mechanic is the ability word Unveil.

Unveil - When this creature attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it, and...

this represents the mysterious, calculating nature of the elementals. they engage when they want to, and not a moment before. note that the counter is just a marker to alleviate memory issues: removing it does not reset the trigger. there will be no ways to remove it in-set. (and not all that many anywhere.) however, if it changes zones, it becomes a new object, so bouncing it and replaying it does reset the ability.

Menacing Goldkin-
Creature-Elemental Pirate Nomad (C)
Unveil - When Menacing Goldkin attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it, and target creature can't block this turn.
Few things are scarier than watching a pile of metal take on your shape, then charge.
2/1

Lightkin Tacticians-
Creature-Elemental Nomad Advisor (C)
Vigilance
Unveil - When Lightkin Tacticians attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it and untap all creatures you control.
"Day 26: The journey is going well. Calm seas and clear skies abound. At this rate, we should reach Telimar in three days if nothing goes wrong."~Captain's log, Ringpeak Maiden, final entry
1/3

Windkin Reticent-
Creature-Elemental Advisor Pirate (C)
Hexproof
Unveil - When Windkin Reticent attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it. It gains flying and loses hexproof. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
Only a fool mistakes the Windkin's pacifism for cowardice.
3/5

Lumbering Earthkin-
Creature-Elemental Nomad (U)
Unveil - When Lumbering Earthkin attacks for the first time, put a spark counter on it. Each player skips their next combat step.
As long as you control another Elemental, prevent all damage that would be dealt to Lumbering Earthkin.
"Milor is a wonder no other being could imagine. The Earthkin would welcome you there, if you could but set aside your weapons."~The Mind of Earth, to Kiir the Oneblade
4/4

Magic of Milor

as with so much else of the Isle of Flames, their magic is a mystery. the different facets want different things, and their needs are each met separately.

Channel The Veil-
Sorcery (C)
Add to your mana pool. If you control an Elemental, draw a card.
None but the Worldkin understand the nature of the Veil of Milor.

Drown In Waves-
Sorcery (U)
If you control an Elemental, Drown In Waves costs less to cast.
Target opponent exiles the top 10 cards of their library.
"Debating the waves."~Saying meaning "Devolving into madness."

Ruinous Storm-
Sorcery (R)
Destroy all creatures. If you control an Elemental, create a 5/5 white Elemental creature token.
The Lightkin leave no trace and no survivors.

so that's Milor. up next is the final Isle, Epala, the Isle of Shadows. see you then!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:14 pm 

Test User (1)
ME

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:16 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

there's no way you read that all in that time period.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:19 pm 

Test User (1)
I have mixed feeling with unveil.

On one hand, I was expecting everything to be like Windkin Reticent (Or like Stealth in Hearth Stone, if you know what that is)

On the other hand, I really dislike stuff like Menacing Goldkin that is just a gimped delayed etb ability.

And then there's Lumbering Earthkin that feels all sort of wrong where you have an aggressively costed creature that wants to attack AND HAS an attack trigger only to sit blank for a turn..... Maybe you wanted only opponent to skip combat instead of each player?

Last edited by theatog on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:20 pm 

Test User (1)
razorborne wrote:
there's no way you read that all in that time period.

I am supposed to read all that?!? :ookay:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm 

Test User (1)
Channel The Veil-
I am uneasy with the application. A lot of rituals just contribute to combo archtype. The only thing that is missing is card draw and you are combining them. And when elementals come by quite cheap, this is easily my least favorite of all the cycle in this isle seires.
EDIT: You know how they tend not to combine deathtouch with first strike or trample? This feels like that.

Drown In Waves-
Underwhelming. Also dislike the use of exile here.

Ruinous Storm
Correct me if I am wrong. This checks for element as it resolves. Destroy will happens first. So unless your elemental is indestructible...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
On the other hand, I really dislike stuff like Menacing Goldkin that is just a gimped delayed etb ability.
what's wrong with that? by delaying it, it allows it to happen on a turn when the Goldkin is actually attacking. I decided against Unveil triggers that were just like lava spike because why does the delay matter, but on Goldkin (and Lightkin) it's incredibly relevant.

theatog wrote:
And then there's Lumbering Earthkin that feels all sort of wrong where you have an aggressively costed creature that wants to attack AND HAS an attack trigger only to sit blank for a turn..... Maybe you wanted only opponent to skip combat instead of each player?
a 4/4 for 5 is aggressively costed? and no, it wasn't supposed to just skip your opponent's. it was supposed to attack, then they skip, you skip, then they get to attack but your Earthkin is untapped.

the important thing with Unveil triggers is that you are in control of when they go off, as long as you're willing to bide your time and not attack until you need them. yes, things like the Windkin work fine, where you trade one ability for another, but there's a lot Unveil can do and limiting it to that seems needless.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
Channel The Veil-
I am uneasy with the application. A lot of rituals just contribute to combo archtype. The only thing that is missing is card draw and you are combining them. And when elementals come by quite cheap, this is easily my least favorite of all the cycle in this isle seires.
EDIT: You know how they tend not to combine deathtouch with first strike or trample? This feels like that.
see, that's the thing: the combo deck that wants a ritual doesn't have the excess creatures sitting around. for them, it's just a sorcery-speed pyretic ritual. the only way you get the draw is if you're using it in a fair deck, for fair ramp. it forces you to play the card a different way if you want to optimize it. or you can just use it as pyretic ritual, but that's not broken.

theatog wrote:
Drown In Waves-
Underwhelming. Also dislike the use of exile here.
exile is necessary for reasons that involve as-yet unrevealed elements.

theatog wrote:
Ruinous Storm
Correct me if I am wrong. This checks for element as it resolves. Destroy will happens first. So unless your elemental is indestructible...
I think you're right. I'll fix the wording.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:38 pm 

Test User (1)
4/4 is an aggressive body anyway, or at least big enough you want to attack with it. I guess "aggressive" is a bit relative. I can see you picture elite vanguard when I said that. But I am more thinking of as oppose to "defensive" Dawnstrike Paladin kinda comparison.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
4/4 is an aggressive body anyway, or at least big enough you want to attack with it. I guess "aggressive" is a bit relative. I can see you picture elite vanguard when I said that. But I am more thinking of as oppose to "defensive" Dawnstrike Paladin kinda comparison.

4/4 is a balanced body. it's great on both attack and defense. it's no wall of frost stats, but it's a very scary thing to swing in to.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:47 pm 

Test User (1)
Anyway... bottom line is... attack trigger to skip attack is counter intuitive/productive.

If you are in position to attack with a 4/4 without haste (!), why would you want to built in an effect to stop itself the next turn.

without haste means your opponent see it a mile away coming. If you are so attached to the effect, at least make it a may?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
Anyway... bottom line is... attack trigger to skip attack is counter intuitive/productive.

If you are in position to attack with a 4/4 without haste (!), why would you want to built in an effect to stop itself the next turn.

without haste means your opponent see it a mile away coming. If you are so attached to the effect, at least make it a may?

it is a may, you can always choose not to attack.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:01 pm 

Test User (1)
i give up XD :surrender: (if you choose to ignore the first two lines of that post.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
>not heart of gold
You dun goofd

Still not very fond of the whole creature class thing that is going on.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
i give up XD :surrender: (if you choose to ignore the first two lines of that post.)
I didn't ignore them, just didn't have a point to make against them. you and I disagree, and while I could keep repeating why I disagree with you, that seems unproductive. basically, the Earthkin isn't a vanilla 4/4. it's not gonna play like a vanilla 4/4. that's not a bad thing. and yes, they'll always know it's coming, but they won't know when. that's the point of Unveil.

Mown wrote:
>not heart of gold
You dun goofd

Still not very fond of the whole creature class thing that is going on.

sadly, Heart of Flames was required by the work 8-years-ago razorborne did, so I was stuck with Hand of Gold.

also yeah me neither (assuming you mean the dual-class thing) but again it's a design necessity. I need the classes represented at a density that one per creature doesn't allow. note that it only occurs on three commons per race/class, everything else will be single-class. so once we're done with Epala you'll never have to see them again.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:16 am 

Identity: Male
I love, love, love unveil. I think it needs a new name though, especially because "spark" already has a meaning in Magic. What if you called it "first light" or something along those lines?

Channel the Veil is a noble attempt at a "fair" cantripping ritual, but it's still really dangerous because you can still have a degenerate creature-based combo deck. The Jeskai Ascendancy deck, for example, kills people with infinitely large mana elves. The danger level goes up as the card pool expands: in NGA Constructed, where there's a whole bunch of strong Elementals from Solphos and Taramir, it's not too far-fetched to imagine some kind of bizarre Elemental storm deck. That said, it's nothing that can't be solved with the good old banhammer.

I'm not a fan of Ruinous Storm because of the weird hoop you have to jump through. Indestructible Elementals aren't that easy to come by. It would be more interesting if there was some other condition attached to the sweeper, like "Destroy all untapped creatures" or something.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:24 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I love, love, love unveil. I think it needs a new name though, especially because "spark" already has a meaning in Magic. What if you called it "first light" or something along those lines?
I can change the name of the counter. I'm not really attached to it, I just liked how "spark" had meanings involving spirit and also literal elemental connotations. I'll definitely take suggestions for changing that. the name of the ability word itself, though, probably won't change.

Channel the Veil is a noble attempt at a "fair" cantripping ritual, but it's still really dangerous because you can still have a degenerate creature-based combo deck. The Jeskai Ascendancy deck, for example, kills people with infinitely large mana elves. The danger level goes up as the card pool expands: in NGA Constructed, where there's a whole bunch of strong Elementals from Solphos and Taramir, it's not too far-fetched to imagine some kind of bizarre Elemental storm deck. That said, it's nothing that can't be solved with the good old banhammer.
yeah, it's a gamble, but I'm ok with it. if necessary I can bump it to and , but I'd rather leave it as the more interesting version.

I'm not a fan of Ruinous Storm because of the weird hoop you have to jump through. Indestructible Elementals aren't that easy to come by. It would be more interesting if there was some other condition attached to the sweeper, like "Destroy all untapped creatures" or something.
yeah I fixed the wording in the full spoiler. I don't like updating OPs because it makes the rest of the thread unintelligible so I left it as is there, but it's worded to work as intended officially.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 am 

razorborne wrote:
Creature-Elemental Advisor Pirate

:cool:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
Creature-Elemental Advisor Pirate

:cool:

:king:

Like this post