It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:39 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Chirom, The Isle Of Caves

Chirom is the home of Ossia's Bats. the smallest Isle by surface area, Chirom is dotted with entrances to a vast labyrinth of caves underneath. even the Bats of Chirom don't know for sure how far down the caves go, and some say they go down forever. the caves near the top have been shaped and worn by millenia of use by the bats, but as you go deeper the caves are practically untouched. however, sound carries far in the caves of Chirom, and you have to be a long way down to drown out the cacophony that is Bat society. it is said that the lower caves of Chirom hold the secrets to the catastrophic Flood that swept Ossia, but no one has ever reached the bottom and returned to tell.

the Bats of Chirom are actually two genetically distinct species: the Blackwing Bats and the Whitewing Bats. the Blackwings are larger, slower, and more aggressive, and have taken on the role of Chirom's primary soldiers. Blackwings have enormous wingspans, and the elder, larger ones have been said to block the sun with their passing. the Whitewings are smaller, quicker, and perhaps even more dangerous. their curiosity makes them perfect explorers. before the war came, many Whitewings would spend their time down in the lower caves, mapping them and searching for ancient secrets. now, though, they've turned their attention to the other Isles, serving as scouts and advance troops. many Isles made the mistake of underestimating the Whitewings next to their Blackwing cousins, but few made that mistake twice.

while the Blackwings and Whitewings are genetically different, they can and frequently do interbreed, spawning sterile, wingless mutants known as the Unspoken. the Unspoken are the dregs of Bat society, serving their purebred masters with unwavering loyalty and submission. it is generally considered improper for an Unspoken to serve its parents, and as such most are cast out soon after birth, to be picked up and claimed by the first Bat to pass by and take an interest.

Society of Chirom

Chirom is ruled with an iron fist by the Masters Of Screams, a duo made of the greatest Blackwing and the greatest Whitewing. whenever one dies, the other is deposed and a grand melee is fought on the surface of Chirom for the new title. the current Masters are Kilmek of the Blackwings and Chilik of the Whitewings, but appointment to Mastery does not tend to last long on the Isle of Caves. in all matters the two Masters speak for Chirom, and their needs are tended to by hundreds of Unspoken. by right the Masters may claim any Unspoken on the Isle as their new servant, and being selected for such an appointment is considered the highest honor an Unspoken can aspire to.

unbeknownst to the ruling class, however, the Undersociety runs through Chirom as well, a complex web of Unspoken who pass messages along and make plans all their own. for now the Undersociety has no real intention to overthrow Chirom, but in time revolution may come to the Isle of Caves.

Notable Locations of Chirom

The Coal Thrones: the traditional seat of power for the Masters of Screams, the Coal Thrones sit in a cave separated from the rest of Chirom and guarded at all times. carved out of the wall on either side of the chamber, the Thrones are where Kilmek and Chilik hold court, and where they plan their wars. Unspoken are not allowed in the chamber under any circumstances: all maintenance is done by lesser purebred Bats, to keep the chamber clean.

Echo Stations: Echo Stations are a series of waystations established by the Whitewings in their exploration of the lower caves. they allowed explorers to locate themselves, as well as rest and, if anything was there, resupply. now, with the war raging and Chirom's eyes turned outward, the Echo Stations are largely abandoned. some, however, have become active meeting spots for the Undersociety, as most purebreds don't look down that low. it's also common for Unspoken to leave messages there for each other when meeting in person would be impossible.

The Mouth: The Mouth is the largest opening on the surface of Chirom, and essential to their defense plans. in times of attack, all other cave exits are shut and blocked, forcing the enemy to assault them at only the one position, where all their greatest warriors can converge. combined with the still relatively small entry point, this makes the caves beneath the Isle incredibly defendable. in protecting their home, Bat warriors practice an odd, cruel form of justice. while they will kill if necessary, they prefer to take attackers hostage to bring to trial before the Masters of Screams. all outsiders brought before them are sentenced to death, but the process is a point of honor.

Notable Individuals of Chirom

Kilmek Blackwing: Kilmek is the Blackwing Master of Screams. he is both the largest and the fiercest Bat on all of Chirom. unbound to the flimsy honor that many of his people serve, Kilmek is a vicious, merciless killing machine whose taste for blood is rivaled only by his talent for war. he looks at the other Isles the way he looks at the Unspoken: pathetic, twisted abominations too weak to deserve death, bound for a life of subjugation beneath the forces of Chirom. Kilmek leads many of the Blackwing attacks himself, leaving a trail of bodies behind him.

Chilik Whitewing: Chilik is the Whitewing Master of Screams. perhaps half Kilmek's size, very few would assume her to be his equal, but those who serve the Masters know that there is no one in Ossia that Kilmek fears more. her savage cunning is the greatest weapon the army of Chirom has. a long-time veteran of the Great Deep, Chilik often misses the days of exploring the caves below, wishing the Isles would leave them alone long enough for them to crack the mysteries of the caves. to that end, she helps Kilmek wage war, but in truth she would rather be deep in the heart of Chirom with a pack of Whitewings.

Piker the Low: Piker is the founder of the Undersociety. he faked his death to escape his masters, and moved into the Great Deep, moving from Echo Station to Echo Station to avoid detection and capture. all this he credits to the wisdom of Pumik: Piker is a member of the Council of Ossia. for a long time the Council could not get a foothold on Chirom. the purebreds were too devoted to their cause to risk approaching. in desperation, they found Piker and helped him break free, then encouraged him to organize the Unspoken. he encountered much resistance, as many Unspoken were truly loyal, but over time he began to draw in the dissatisfied with promises of freedom, and the movement has grown. Piker preaches peace, and for now his only goal is to give the Unspoken a sense of identity and purpose. he knows that open revolt would be a bloodbath, and wishes to avoid that fate at all costs, so for now he just bides his time, waiting until the moment is right for action.

the three classes of Chirom are Nomad, Minion, and Barbarian.

Mechanics of Chirom

the Bat keyword is Screech:

Screech (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.)

Screech is a disorienting tactic. while red and black don't have a huge history of tapping, they both have done it, especially aggressively. Screech, as a creature keyword, goes on mostly sorcery-speed objects, so it winds up mostly preventing blocks, something red and black are great at. plus everyone loves onslaught right?

Whitewing Howler-
Creature-Bat Nomad Minion (C)
Flash, Flying
Screech (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may tap target creature.)
Chirom's first line of defense is fear.
1/1

Unspoken Infantry-
Creature-Bat Minion Barbarian (C)
"The lives of the Unspoken are not worthless, Kilmek. They are a currency, to be traded as needed."~Chilik Whitewing
2/2

Blackwing Deathdealer-
Creature-Bat Barbarian Nomad (C)
Whenever Blackwing Deathdealer deals combat damage to a player, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
In extreme cases, Blackwing warriors grow so large their wings can no longer support them. These massive brutes are the Deathdealers, and they are the most fearsome of all Chirom's army.
3/3

Chained Hybrid-
Creature-Bat Minion (U)
Haste
Chained Hybrid can't attack unless you control another Bat.
Not all purebreds are merciful enough to grant the Unspoken clean deaths.
2/3

Magic of Chirom

in battle, Bats mainly rely on disorientation and distraction, but can get violent if necessary.

Echoing Cackle-
Instant (C)
Tap up to two target creatures. If you control a Bat, draw a card.
Sound travels far in Chirom, be it the howl of an advancing Blackwing or the last scream of a reckless invader.

Shattercry-
Instant (U)
If you control a bat, Shattercry costs less to cast.
Destroy up to two target artifacts.
"A problem that cannot reach our shores is a problem for the Sea."~Chilik Whitewing

Deep Reverberations-
Sorcery (R)
Target player discards a card. If you control a Bat, instead that player reveals his or her hand, you choose a card from it, and that player discards that card.
"The Great Deep is said to hold sounds from before the Flood, echoing forever in its pristine caves. Such an historic cacophony could drive a listener mad, wouldn't you agree?"~Chilik Whitewing

so that's Chirom. sorry I think that was longer than usual. whoops I guess. anyway, next time we visit Korrath, Isle of Packs. bon voyage!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:06 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

as I was copying things to my archive I decided I didn't like Chained Hybrid as-is, so it's now this:

Chained Hybrid-
Creature-Bat Minion (U)
Chained Hybrid can't attack or block unless you control another Bat.
3/3

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 am 

I like the second Chained Hybrid better, although I could see the original design with the p/t swapped (depending on how many one/two drop bats you have.)

Screech seems like a flavorful keyword, but I feel like it wouldnt work outside the set...which probably isn't an issue since it's not an official product, but its just something to think about. Leonin Snarecaster would be weird if his ability was Screech.

I don't know though...I ran into a similar problem in my set. I wanted a few cards to react around lands etb but I didnt want to use Landfall...I felt like people would wonder why the card didn't have Landfall printed on it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 am 

POSValkir wrote:
Screech seems like a flavorful keyword, but I feel like it wouldnt work outside the set...which probably isn't an issue since it's not an official product, but its just something to think about. Leonin Snarecaster would be weird if his ability was Screech.

there's no reason why they would have to make him have Screech. chub toad didn't get given bushido when kamigawa block came out

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:07 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

there's only four cards with that mechanic, ever. they could be errata'd but, as shrimp points out, there's precedent for them not to be. and only four ever means that it's not something that happens every block, so flavorful limitations aren't as huge a deal. if they want to bring back Screech, they can just bring it back and flavor things appropriately.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:20 am 

True, they did that with Chroma in a way.

They simply haven't errata'd Chub Toad since its older than Kamigawa and bushido may not make sense on it. I was just thinking that no one designs a card that grants Deathtouch anymore that doesn't use the actual keyword. And since the keyword is shoehorned into the color pie, it's difficult to make a creature with Deathtouch, that didn't fit the stigma attached to it. I think Serene Master is along those lines, although it's a bit more like First Strike.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:28 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Oracle Text always represents the current templating of the card. Having and not having Screech is an important distinction, because Screen can be referenced. (More easily, anyway.)

Deathtouch is an evergreen keyword.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:46 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

yay Mown posted in my thread! not about the cards, but hey small victories

also as of now I'm a quarter of the way through Ossia so that's neat

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:49 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I've posted in most of your threads.
Haven't really read the cards. They're bats, I don't need to know more.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:51 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
I've posted in most of your threads.

I'll be honest I only read like one out of five responses in these things

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:32 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
Proud Owner of Mown

Screech is fun. I love nice simple effects that can have a big effect on the game. I seems odd to me that not all bats have flying.

Cato

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:36 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Dudibus wrote:
Screech is fun. I love nice simple effects that can have a big effect on the game. I seems odd to me that not all bats have flying.

yeah, I have a lot of tribes that generally are all flying that I had to reign that back for. I was originally gonna have the big red guy here fly, but then I did some research and there's never been a common red flier with power higher than 1 so that was out. I also wanted to have the black one fly, but I don't think I can do much at 3 without breaking it or making it exactly like the white one.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:10 am 

razorborne wrote:
but then I did some research and there's never been a common red flier with power higher than 1 so that was out.

Really?...that seems odd.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:29 am 

Identity: Female
Its probably to help shape the limited environment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:32 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

POSValkir wrote:
razorborne wrote:
but then I did some research and there's never been a common red flier with power higher than 1 so that was out.

Really?...that seems odd.

Sounds like it's time for some pedantry.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:49 am 

Identity: Male
I agree that bats should have flying.

Screech is a nice, flavorful, simple keyword, but it does feel strange that red and black get to tap things down. My color pie sensibilities would be a lot more comfortable if screech Pacifismed things until end of turn.

And yeah, bats are a cool tribe. Way cooler than centaurs or dryads.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:28 pm 

Test User (1)
razorborne wrote:
as I was copying things to my archive I decided I didn't like Chained Hybrid as-is, so it's now this:

Chained Hybrid-
Creature-Bat Minion (U)
Chained Hybrid can't attack or block unless you control another Bat.
3/3

This seems white, then red, then, no... not really black. except for the bat part.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

I agree that bats should have flying.

Screech is a nice, flavorful, simple keyword, but it does feel strange that red and black get to tap things down. My color pie sensibilities would be a lot more comfortable if screech Pacifismed things until end of turn.

And yeah, bats are a cool tribe. Way cooler than centaurs or dryads.

Changing it to "target creature can't block this turn" has some sense to it. But I refute your notion that red and black can't tap creatures. They've each done so in the recent past and it's a natural extension of "can't block" when done at sorcery timing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:28 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
So is there like 40 islands with 6 cards each or are we going to revisit islands?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

If I remember right, there are 10 islands distinct to the storyline.

Like this post