It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Blackrock, The Isle Of Death

Blackrock sits at the center of the Ossia archipelago, the largest and most imposing of the Isles. fittingly, it is home to the Trolls. in a fair fight, the Trolls are Ossia's greatest fighters, with unrivaled strength and endurance. combined with their brutality, it should be unsurprising how the Isle Of Death got its name. Blackrock's central position has made it a target for every Isle's machinations, but so far the Trolls' sheer might and violence has managed to keep aggressors at bay.

Blackrock is the remains of a volcano caldera, so it is rich in many resources. it's thick forests, deep stone and metal deposits, and other natural resources have made the Trolls a very resource-hungry people. they tear up trees to make war. they eat the rocks. they build massive warships, the largest in Ossia. between the Trolls' massive resource advantage, their powerful central position, and their unmatched physical prowess, they are perhaps the clear frontrunners in the war for Ossia. what they lack, though, is the sort of cunning that other tribes bring to the table, leaving them to try to dominate sheerly by brute force.

Society of Blackrock

Trolls are very individualistic and territorial, each staking out a part of the Isle to call home and defending it unflaggingly from encroachment. they acknowledge Chiefs, but the title is more a sign of respect than an actual cessation of authority. the Chiefs are their greatest fighters, who hold the largest territories. however, Trolls take the same territorial view of the Isle itself, and as necessary will fight to defend it from invasion, even if that means setting aside differences with other Trolls. however, not all differences can be dismissed so easily. many Trolls, especially those with neighboring territories, hold great enmity toward each other, and working together to defend the Isle can be difficult against such deep-running feuds. these uneasy alliances hold until the exact moment they are no longer completely necessary, sometimes not even that long.

Trolls hate the sea. they construct massive warships and staff them as necessary, but to be off their island and surrounded at all times by other trolls are not things most trolls desire. many of their warships sit on their shores, unmanned, until enemies are spotted approaching. they launch attacks at times to control other Isles and keep the threat down, but they avoid sailing as much as possible. this puts them at a military disadvantage, but the incredible defensibility of Blackrock helps make up for that.

Notable Locations of Blackrock

The Blackridge: The Blackridge is a jagged rim that runs around the entire edge of Blackrock, and is the feature from which the Isle takes its name. a remnant of Blackrock's volcanic past, the Blackridge is a craggy, hard-to-climb rim charred black by millenia of eruptions. in fact, most of Blackrock is below sea level. the Blackridge is all that keeps them safe from the acidic waters outside. it serves a similar defensive role against encroaching invaders, as it provides excellent cover for archers to attack their ships without exposing themselves. through the course of the war, the Trolls have mounted numerous ballistas, catapults, and other defensive fixtures throughout the Blackridge, making defense of the Isle against an invading force a trivial task.

Barile's Expanse: the great warrior Barile cleared out a wide copse in the forest, and invites any Troll who dares to come challenge him. there are no rules and no rounds: anyone in the Expanse is part of the brawl, and is fair game to attack at any time. though many Trolls frown on the practice, many, especially the young, see it as a chance to prove their strength and dominance, so the expanse is always full.

The Cauldron Pits: The Cauldron Pits are a collection of tar pits that dot the Isles. used in the construction of war machines as well as in shamanic rituals, the tar is perhaps Blackrock's most valued resource, as it occurs on no other Isle. many warriors paint themselves in it before going to battle, to intimidate their foes. the Pits seem to have some underground source, as they do not seem to deplete, but the Trolls don't concern themselves with sustainability so they haven't bothered to investigate.

Notable Individuals of Blackrock

Barile, Brawl Champion: Barile is a living legend among the Trolls, rumored to be the greatest fighter to have ever lived. while this is likely hyperbole, his strength and combat prowess cannot be denied. Barile maintains his Expanse, an grand melee for any Troll who wants to try. however, the Expanse has another, secret purpose: Barile is seeking to form an army, the first gathering of Trolls to unite willingly under one banner. Barile is a member of the Council of Ossia, and hopes to use his army of brawlers to take control of Blackrock formally, and force through an alliance.

Borrogrove, Stoneskin Channeler: Borrogrove is the greatest shaman on the Isle, wielding nature itself as a weapon to protect his vast territory. if Trolls had a leader, it would be Borrogrove, widely recognized as the wisest living Troll. his calls for war have been heeded across Blackrock, and it is with his urging that the Trolls take to the seas to bring the other Isles crumbling down. Borrogrove especially hates the imposing fronts of Teth and Milor, calling them cowards for hiding behind such high, impenetrable walls. Blackrock holds its shores through force. like most Trolls, Borrogrove hates the sea, but his hatred for what lies beyond it is even stronger, and drives him and those who listen to him to strike out for oblivion.

Orgoth Stonebow: Orgoth is a master craftswoman, and spends most of her time building and maintaining the defensive fixtures around the Blackridge. she chose her honorific after the massive bow hewn from stone that she carries on her back, with arrows made from whole small trees. while she was away building siege weapons, her territory was taken by a rival, so now she makes her home in the Blackridge, the only troll to truly live on its craggy, stony heights. these days, as Blackrock's greatest defender, Orgoth has no enemies among the Trolls, and the invader who stole her home has been brutally taken care of, but she prefers the Ridge. she lives for the single purpose of protecting Blackrock, rushing, bow in hand, whenever ships are spotted on the horizon, but she has not bothered to think past that. the violence will end when it ends, and however it does doesn't matter to her as long as Blackrock remains.

the three classes of Blackrock are Barbarian, Archer, and Druid.

Mechanics of Blackrock

the Troll keyword is Restore:

Restore X (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing X lands in addition to its mana cost.)

Restore represents the regenerative capacity of the Trolls, as well as their recklessness. I wanted to call it Reform, but Landform made that awkward. maybe I'll change Landform's name. anyway. while I would've liked to have been able to just set a number, having the variable lets me set it up so that it's not always correct to just bring back the biggest one you can cast. and yes, this is supposed to be a serious cost. you won't restore too many things per game, because it chews up both card and mana advantage to do. but the cheap ones with low Xs can help alleviate mana flood in aggro decks, and the more expensive, high-X ones can be hard-to-deal-with finishers in ramp/midrange decks. there will be ways to recur lands in-set, and Trolls share two colors with Dryads, which means that they'll often have access to Landform to help off-set the mana loss.

Cauldron Pit Fledgling-
Creature-Troll Druid Barbarian (C)
Restore 1 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 1 land in addition to its mana cost.)
When Cauldron Pit Fledgling dies, you lose 2 life.
Trolls are born savage. As they mature, nothing changes.
2/2

Ridgewalker-
Creature-Troll Barbarian Archer (C)
Restore 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 2 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
Haste
The Blackridge runs hundreds of miles. If you can't move quickly, you're worthless.
3/2

Tarline Warcaller-
Creature-Troll Archer Druid (C)
Restore 3 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 3 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
Borrogrove's disciples march to war unflinchingly, unquestioningly, and unstoppably.
5/5

Blackridge Ballista Crew-
Creature-Troll Archer (U)
Restore 2 (You may cast this card from your graveyard by sacrificing 2 lands in addition to its mana cost.)
: Blackridge Ballista Crew deals 5 damage to target creature with flying. Activate this ability only if you control another Troll.
To the landbound, nothing is more dangerous than the beat of wings.
3/4

The Magic of Blackrock

Trolls are a very ritualistic, violent, and destructive tribe. their magic reflects their savage nature.

Pitiless Execution-
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target creature. If you control a Troll, draw a card.
Death by Troll involves a club, a head, and then no more head.

Borrogrove's Blessing-
Instant (U)
If you control a Troll, Borrogrove's Blessing costs less to cast.
Target creature gets +5/+5 until end of turn.
"Blackrock has no leader. That is the fiction our people tell themselves, and it is one I am happy to let them continue to believe."~Borrogrove, Stoneskin Channeler

Tarflow-
Sorcery (R)
Destroy target land. If you control a Troll, that land's controller can't play land cards during their next turn.
"The tar of the Cauldron Pits serves important functions in many rites, but one must not forget that you can also light it on fire and throw it."~Orgoth Stonebow

so that's Blackrock. next, we venture to Chirom, the Isle of Caves. safe travels!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:13 pm 

Test User (1)
First : P I tell you
if i want to first post your thread. I can always XD

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:15 pm 

Test User (1)
i love restore and that dryad thing ability. this set is heaven for melvin

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:26 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Maybe give green something like Tilling Treefolk for synergy? I also want to see a deathtouch restore guy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
Maybe give green something like Tilling Treefolk for synergy? I also want to see a deathtouch restore guy.

I could definitely see a Tilling Treefolk effect or something. I'm not sure if you're suggesting putting it on a restore creature, but that seems like a bad idea, both power-wise and thematically. but it's definitely strongly synergistic so I'll see if I can slip it in somewhere. as for Deathtouch Restore, that seems a little nuts. maybe I'll switch around Ballista Crew.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:40 am 

I didn't mean the treefolk should have restore, just that it should exist. The deathtouch restore obviously wouldn't be common.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:48 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
I didn't mean the treefolk should have restore, just that it should exist. The deathtouch restore obviously wouldn't be common.

cool then. we agree! I'm not sure I have room for them but I'll see if I can fit them in.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:02 am 

Identity: Male
The name "restore" feels too peaceful for what the ability actually does. How about something like "burst forth" or "outbreak"?

It would be cool if Borrogrove's Blessing granted trample.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:05 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

It would be cool if Borrogrove's Blessing granted trample.

considered it. would make it significantly stronger. I figured I'd air on the side of caution since it's already often an instant-speed phytoburst, but if people don't think it'd be too strong I'm not opposed.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:10 am 

But phytoburst was unplayably bad...

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:11 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
But phytoburst was unplayably bad...

well, yes, but sorcery speed is kind of a playability killer on combat tricks.

anyway, if no one objects soon I'll add Trample to the blessing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:01 am 

that keyword is really neat

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:09 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

that keyword is really neat

thanks! I'm actually really surprised overall at how well Ossia's keywords are going over. I've got four more, hopefully they're not all awful. (although they do include the two I'm most worried about so we'll see.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:13 am 

Borrowgrove's Blessing isn't too different than Become Immense, which is pretty devastating in Limited. Nothing is scarier than suddenly seeing cards fly out of the graveyard after deciding not to block a creature, or after doubling up to kill a Trampler.

I think it's good enough without trample, with Trample, I'd expect +3/+3 or for it to cost more.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:12 am 

Test User (1)
I agree to no trample. And name change to restore

Also the destroy land spell troll effect seems a bit insignificant. It's like it will only ever matter when you play it on turn 4

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:39 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

I have to say, every time you title a thread "Isle of ___" I'm thinking "I love ___"

Blackrock... I love death!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:29 am 

Test User (1)
Respawn XD is it a bit more evil? Trollspawn.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:01 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I like Respawn. I might use that. that doesn't really capture the feeling of regrowth perfectly, but neither does Restore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:02 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
If you want to capture the feeling of regrowth perfectly, why not use regrowth?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:04 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
If you want to capture the feeling of regrowth perfectly, why not use regrowth?

I discarded it as an option early because I didn't like it, but then couldn't find anything I really did like. maybe I'll go back to it.

Like this post