It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] Ships of Ossia
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

in the time since they first arrived, ships have become a critical part of Ossia's culture. they are tools of war, tools of trade, and tools of diplomacy. they represent the greatest hope for peace and its largest threat in one. each Isle has adapted their ships to their needs, as well as their culture and resources. today we look at another set of those ships.

this is the uncommon "cycle" of ships. their role is more mechanical, taking twists on the basic idea of War Machine expressed at common. a running theme in them is a desire to allow a Ships deck to exist in Draft if someone wants it, so there's a few good enablers in here for that. flavorfully these are tied to the allied Isles.

Arrowhoof Harrier-
Artifact-Ship (U)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
Arrowhoof Harrier must be blocked if able.
Centaur ships sail in herds. A captain foolish enough to attack the first one they see will soon find themselves buried under a hail of arrows.

this one is sort of a ship enabler, but mainly just serves as an aggro deck's best friend. it doesn't attack for anything, but it makes your opponent deal with it first instead of your more relevant threats.

Wilding Raft-
Artifact-Ship (U)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature. It gets summoning sickness.)
: Wilding Raft becomes a 4/1 Djinn creature until end of turn.
Simplicity is key in Djinn design. Time spent building elaborate crafts is time not spent raiding elaborate crafts.

this serves two purposes. if you have a creature, it can swing unanimated, then turn on if you want it to. (if you want to deal damage or trade with the blocker.) if you don't, though, it can animate as a fragile enabler for the rest of your ships, since you'll now have a creature to attack with.

Basalt Skimmer-
Artifact-Ship (U)
Flying
Whenever Basalt Skimmer attacks and is unblocked, defending player sacrifices a non-blocking creature.
Hopes shatter at the sight of a Tethian warship on the horizon.

this is a very aggressive and probably very powerful warship. one of the first ideas I had when thinking of evolutions of War Machine was evasion abilities. Flying seemed like the best choice, as it's a) the most common, b) the simplest, and c) flying ships are an established trope. I don't love the non-blocking clause, but it helps to reign in the power since they can just block with everything, and it also flavorfully works as assassins probably aren't going to be able to sneakily assassinate creatures in the middle of a battle.

Stonehull Rammer-
Artifact-Ship (U)
You may choose not to untap Stonehull Rammer during your untap step.
Whenever Stonehull Rammer attacks and is unblocked, Tap target creature or artifact defending player controls. It doesn't untap during its controller's untap step for as long as Stonehull Rammer remains tapped.
The shores of Blackrock house the wreckages of a thousand would-be invaders.

this isn't really related to the ship deck, but it's a nice evolution. it's a siege ship, laying long attacks against a single target rather than fighting every turn. it locks one thing down until a better thing comes along that you'd rather stop. also, as a neat bonus to encourage switching, the turn you do, your previous target can't block either. I don't know that it'd have room for flavor text in real life, but hey whatever.

Boltrider Monitor-
Artifact-Ship (U)
War Machine (As long as you are attacking with a creature, this artifact may attack as though it were a creature.)
Haste
Whenever Boltrider Monitor attacks and is unblocked, you may have it become a copy of another target ship. If you do it gains this ability. (This effect doesn't end at end of turn.)
Milovic demands versatility from his fleet. No one weapon is fit for every war.

the biggest ship-deck enabler. I used that trigger so you can play it turn 3 to copy your harrier or whatever, but then when you ramp up to the big ships, it can jump on board with those too. that way you're not just sitting around with it in your hand waiting to draw your biggest bomb ship. Haste lets it take whatever form it wants the turn you play it, if it can get through. that's to compensate for the fact that you're getting no real trigger out of it the first time it gets through. it's also a useful tool against ship decks, as it can copy your opponent's ships, but it's definitely much stronger in one so it'll hopefully make it around to them.

anyway that's that with our ship diversion. next time, we return to our regularly scheduled island tours, with a look at the imposing Blackrock, Isle of Death.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [FOS] Ships of Ossia
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 am 

Identity: Male
I think Basalt Skimmer and Boltrider Monitor should be rare because of impact in limited and complexity, respectively.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Skimmer I disagree on, uncommons are allowed to be high-impact in limited. Monitor I don't know though, I'd really like it to be uncommon to help support the limited ship deck, but you're right that clones don't happen at uncommon. maybe if I removed the "it gains this ability" part? or even just made it a straight-up clone? I think there's enough of those around that one dropping to uncommon isn't a big deal.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

on Skimmer, though, I'm more attached to the flying than the trigger. if you have a suggestion for an ability that might be more uncommon-appropriate, let me know and I'll consider it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:41 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Give it bounce, flavor it as abduction.

I don't get the flavor text on the Djinn one. I mean, it's a transforming ship. Those sound rather difficult to make.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:49 pm 

Test User (1)
I am not a big fan of unblocked triggers. Do they still do it anymore? (not rhetoric)

I rather you do it as end of combat trigger. makes the wording cleaning on the "nonblocking" part as well

At the end of combat, if ~ attacked this turn and was not block, defending player sacrifices a creature did not block this combat.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:53 pm 

Test User (1)
This seems really mean. creature that attacked without vigilance will need to die.... one a turn. Is that really the intention? Don't attack or suffer one-sided call to the grave?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:59 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
Give it bounce, flavor it as abduction.
bounce works, although I'm not sure it's much less powerful.

Mown wrote:
I don't get the flavor text on the Djinn one. I mean, it's a transforming ship. Those sound rather difficult to make.
the animation represents the crew coming out to attack, not the ship transforming.

theatog wrote:
I am not a big fan of unblocked triggers. Do they still do it anymore? (not rhetoric)
when necessary. master of cruelties is the most recent one to come to mind. they do it a lot more often than end-of-combat triggers.

theatog wrote:
This seems really mean. creature that attacked without vigilance will need to die.... one a turn. Is that really the intention? Don't attack or suffer one-sided call to the grave?
or have any flying creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:55 am 

razorborne wrote:
Skimmer I disagree on, uncommons are allowed to be high-impact in limited.

There's a cap on how high-impact an uncommon can be though. Day of Judgment would be horribly broken at uncommon.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:26 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
Skimmer I disagree on, uncommons are allowed to be high-impact in limited.

There's a cap on how high-impact an uncommon can be though. Day of Judgment would be horribly broken at uncommon.
I don't disagree, I just disagree that Skimmer crosses that line. but as I said, I'm more attached to the Flying than the actual trigger, so if you have suggestions for a trigger more in line with your standard of uncommon impact, I'd be happy to consider them. Mown's bounce suggestion is available, and something I'd consider, but it doesn't seem much less impactful in a lot of cases, and can pointlessly backfire if they have a creature with a good etb ability.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:30 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

cumber stone for 4 at uncommon says I could probably do "creatures your opponent controls get -2/-0 until end of turn." or even -1/-1, I think. thoughts on that? I like -1/-1 better. it kind of crazy-hoses token decks, but the major token tribe is Faeries, who will have a higher than normal rate of flying. and without ramp it doesn't start swinging until turn 7 at the earliest, so decks that rely on a bunch of small creatures will have had a long time to win the game first.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:53 am 

I think overloaded Electrickery would be a cooler and more flavorful effect.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:14 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think overloaded Electrickery would be a cooler and more flavorful effect.

hmm, maybe. I'm a little wary of putting effects that don't belong to any of the colors of the tribe it's flavorfully linked to, even though as an artifact it's not really bound by those rules. and Stonehull Rammer breaks that anyway, Trolls are the three colors that don't really tap stuff down. (although black has gotten paralyze and such in the past.) I'll either go with the electrickery or a one-sided nausea. I think that one's nicer because it helps you prevent damage to your attackers as well, but the electrickery has the nice upside of not affecting Gargoyles which is a cool flavor thing. I'll think about it.

anyway, your thoughts on switching Monitor to just a regular one-off clone to keep it at uncommon?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:24 am 

As in "You may have Boltrider Monitor enter the battlefield as a copy of any Ship you control?" That seems fine.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:26 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

As in "You may have Boltrider Monitor enter the battlefield as a copy of any Ship you control?" That seems fine.

yeah that one. cool.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:41 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I don't like how you made an entire subtype of creatures that can't block. Not every limited deck wants to attack, you know.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:07 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
I don't like how you made an entire subtype of creatures that can't block. Not every limited deck wants to attack, you know.

then not every limited deck wants Ships. they're not taking up creature slots in the file.

Like this post