It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:27 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Dragonroost, The Isle Of Fangs

Dragonroost, as the name might imply, is home to Ossia's Lizard population. Dragonroost is a thick jungle, and has the distinction of housing Ossia's only active volcano. its residents swear that Dragons live there, waiting to be unleashed on the world should the other Isles hassle Dragonroost too much, but as yet no such beasts have been seen. the Lizards of Dragonroost are excellent hunters, sharp-eyed explorers and complete free spirits, wandering their Isle and the world beyond however they see fit.

the Lizards have a notorious wanderlust. it's said that by the age of 10 every child has seen every corner of Dragonroost. Lizards have no need for shelters, instead taking their rest beneath the stars wherever they happened to be when tiredness struck them. Lizards eat mostly insects, so much of their day is spent hunting for their diminutive prey. they are happy to share, as a species, though, and some large hives are maintained so that if food is scarce or hard to find, the Lizards always know there is somewhere to go.

Society of Dragonroost

Lizards are fiercely independent, most striking out on their own with two years of birth, wandering the Isle and finding their own way. however, they also recognize the value of strength in numbers, and are quick to come to each other's aid if need be. they aren't the strongest or most impressive fighters in Ossia, but they are nimble and quick on their feet, and combined with their predilection toward numbers, that makes them incredibly dangerous. a common Lizard battle tactic is simply dodging attacks until the enemy is too tired to keep going.

Lizards have also taken to the sea more than any other tribe. the first boats landed on their shores, and since then they've been sailing out to explore the other Isles, as well as the seas beyond. while most tribes want to rule the world, most Lizards only want to see it.

Notable Locations of Dragonroost

Mount Draconem: Mount Draconem is the active volcano that dominates the landscape of the north-east of Dragonroost. its eruptions are frequent, and the Lizards insist that they are the roars of Dragons waking from their slumber. climbing to the summit of Mount Draconem during a lavaflow is considered a rite of passage among the Lizards, and every time it erupts, you can see thousands of Lizards racing to the top. in times of calm, some Lizards have even descended into the volcano, though none have reported seeing Dragons down there. still, the legends push explorers to go ever further into the vents.

The Beastwell: The Beastwell is a large lake that sits near the south edge of the Isle. as the most recognizable landmark on the Isle that doesn't spit molten rock, the Beastwell is often a community gathering point. Lizards meet along the shores and in its waters to trade tales of their adventures, and pass on wisdom. the Lizards also swear that the waters of the Beastwell have healing powers, but their propensity for exaggeration and embellishment casts doubt on that. still, it serves as a major hub of society on the Isle.

Whitesand Cove: numerous coves dot the the shores of Dragonroost, but Whitesand is special, as it's the place the first boat landed, and the place Narrin Swiftpad first set sail from. while the Lizards aren't nearly religious enough to take to worshipping it, they do hold it in high esteem, and when possible tend to launch new expeditions from Whitesand. while most Lizards would tell you that the idea that launching from Whitesand brings luck to your mission is pure superstition, most do it anyway, just in case. after all, if it's just superstition, it's not like it'll bring you bad luck either, right?

Notable Individuals of Dragonroost

Narrin Swiftpad: perhaps the most celebrated and beloved Lizard of Dragonroost, Narrin is the first sailor on all of Ossia. when the first boat landed on Dragonroost, he leaped in with no hesitation and pushed off to see the world. he sailed by all the Isles, landing on those that he could, before turning his sights to the expanses of the Infinite Sea. he has sailed further out than any other being alive, bringing back fantastical tales of great whirlpools and giant sea beasts that no one believes but that the Lizards adore. he denies having seen a waterfall off the end of the world, but since no one had asked him about one that only fueled speculation across Dragonroost. he has no real concern for the War of the Isles, although he does hope it resolves itself one way or another so he can get about exploring the remaining Isles. but until then he is content to sail the uncharted waters long past the only known land.

Kiir the Oneblade: Kiir is the captain of the pirate ship Fangbow. compared to the raiders of Qelan, the pirates of Dragonroost are tame, if not kind. their main targets are military ships moving against Dragonroost. the first time a ship is seen, her crew raids them, taking their weapons and delivering the warning, but avoiding unnecessary casualties. if that warning is not heeded, though, the Oneblade's crew shows no mercy. she takes her name from the arm she lost in a battle on board a Centaur ship. most lizard pirates prefer to fight with two daggers, to maximize the advantage of their speed, but with her missing arm she is reduced to one. this hasn't stopped her from being the most feared captain in the Dragonroost fleet. However, she has long since tired of her work. she does it to keep her people safe, but she takes no joy in the violence. she'd rather be off with her good friend Narrin, exploring the uncharted seas, but someone has to keep Dragonroost safe. to that end she has joined into the Council of Ossia, pushing toward unification so that a defense force is no longer needed.

Sselik the Quicktongue: Sselik is a man of singular pursuits. he has summited Mount Draconem more times than most have even seen it. each time it erupts, he is there again, racing to the top. between eruptions he walks the shores of Dragonroost, his trusty bow in hand, ready to shoot down any raiders fool enough to attack his island. Sselik is a vocal opponent of unification, arguing that Dragonroost must be kept pristine. he is a very popular speaker at the Beastwell, where his inflammatory message inspires many young lizards to fight, much to the chagrin of the elder Lizards who simply want peace. Sselik's prowess and prestige keep others from challenging him openly, but rumors fly that peace-seeking Lizards have attempted to arrange "accidents" to silence him during his Draconem climbs.

the three classes of Dragonroost are Scout, Pirate, and Archer.

Mechanics of Dragonroost

the Lizard keyword is Elude:

Elude (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)

this represents their quickness. Lizards can't be engaged in fights they don't want without help in cornering them. I tried to keep the flavor vague enough that it could fit on cards that previously had this mechanic, but the flavor on those cards is SO DUMB YOU GUYS. I HAVE TWO HEADS WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU STAND IN FRONT OF ONE OF THEM THE OTHER WILL JUST KEEP GOING. so yeah, suck it bad flavor, here's some reasonable flavor to use going forward. still left vague so it can be adapted as needed, but I refuse to bend over backwards for two-headed dragon.

Freewind Corsair-
Creature-Lizard Scout Pirate (C)
"Doesn't everyone dream of a life on the high seas?"
1/1

Shoreline Watchman-
Creature-Lizard Pirate Archer (C)
: Shoreline Watchman gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
Sselik promises greatness to those who keep the Isle of Fangs safe.
0/3

Draconem Summiteers-
Creature-Lizard Archer Scout (C)
Reach, trample, elude (This creature can't be blocked except by two or more creatures.)
It takes focus and dedication to reach the top of Mount Draconem. It takes insanity to do it again.
4/4

Oneblade's Buccaneer-
Creature-Lizard Pirate (U)
As long as you control another Lizard, Oneblade's Buccaneer can't be blocked by creatures with 1 or less power.
The Fangbow's crew is legend: Handpicked by Kiir herself, they represent the finest Dragonroost has to offer, equal parts might and mercy.
2/1

The Magic of Dragonroost

the Lizards are, at their heart, explorers. they use force when necessary, but prefer more non-lethal means.

Beastwell Debate-
Sorcery (C)
Look at the top four cards of your library, then put them back in any order. If you control a Lizard, draw a card.
Many fantastical ideas have been vigorously argued by the shores of the Beastwell.

Careful Shot-
Instant (U)
If you control a Lizard, Careful Shot costs less to cast.
Destroy target artifact or enchantment.
The shores of Dragonroost are a dangerous place for weapons of war.

Draconem's Fury-
Sorcery (R)
Draconem's Fury deals 3 damage to target creature or player. If you control a Lizard, return Draconem's Fury to your hand.
"If every ship sinks, if every watcher falls, if every child of Dragonroost lays dead and defeated, the Isle of Fangs will defend itself."~Sselik Quicktongue

that's Dragonroost. next we pause our Island tour to look at more War Machines. stay tuned!

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:45 pm 

Test User (1)
reserved coz' i always say something first in these threads but nothing comes to mind yet

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
reserved coz' i always say something first in these threads but nothing comes to mind yet

you've actually never been the first poster in an FOS preview thread. Lily was twice, DS was once, ty was once, and Cato was once.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:07 pm 

Test User (1)
in my mind i m always first.
i think i always read you post first before any response is posted; just failed to reply.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:24 pm 

Test User (1)
ok. an actual comment.
Nothing outright wrong - well, raz is never wrong anyway - Just a lot of "hm.... a bit off but sure..."
There's stacking defense and offense ability (reach trample); funny, i was curious and a search only reveals one actual such creature: Archweaver
Then there's stacking of evasion... "elude" and power 1 or less thing - not the most elegant i must say - and furthermore one of them is not always on. I think it makes it that much more difficult to parse when he's on the board.

May i suggest trample on the green creature getting that "if you control another lizard" treatment. (if you are sentimental about it) I think that gives it a bit of distinction when the lizard is in "attack mode" (i.e.when he's backed).

Then the power 1 or less evasion... i'd probably just drop it altogether.
maybe for 3/1, elude, attack if able?

Last edited by theatog on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:31 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
ok. an actual comment.
Nothing outright wrong - well, raz is never wrong anyway - Just a lot of "hm.... a bit off but sure..."
There's stacking defense and offense ability (reach trample); funny, i was curious and a search only reveals one actual such creature: Archweaver
Then there's stacking of evasion... "elude" and power 1 or less thing - not the most elegant i must say.

funny enough, Rush actually gave me a hard time about the Summiteers too. I argued that even though the mechanics don't work on the same plane they all help bring the card together, and not every card needs to be blatantly single-purpose. the versatility of the card lets it play defense or offense as necessary rather than yelling at you to use it as one or the other. and if nothing else, even the most aggressive non-hastey creature spends a turn on defense.

on Buccaneer, though, I strongly disagree. the second evasion ability works perfectly with Elude. one of Elude's biggest weaknesses is token piles, huge groups of 1/1s that aren't worth much on their own so tossing two at an Eluder is cheap. Buccaneer forces them to commit real creatures to blocking. I could've made it unblockable by tokens, but a) the specificity is unnecessary, and b) I really don't like cards that differentiate between tokens and non-tokens, as there's pretty much no flavor difference between the two.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:37 pm 

Test User (1)
yea my problem was not the two evasion not working together. it's just sorta weighing the design down and affect the board negatively. i.e. players needs to check for another lizard, toughness of blockers, number of blockers, etc. it feels like this 2/1 2 drop common brings more burden than necessary. (It's like you know how they move angelic page and friends' ability to uncommon. this is to a less extent of that)

and now that you mention your purpose, it almost feels like you are making a failed Taunting Elf of some sort as that body almost never warrant a block altogether. if you make it, say, 3/3, that would make more sense.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:44 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
yea my problem was not the two evasion not working together. it's just sorta weighing the design down and affect the board negatively. i.e. players needs to check for another lizard, toughness of blockers, number of blockers, etc. it feels like this 2/1 2 drop common brings more burden than necessary. (It's like you know how they move angelic page and friends' ability to uncommon. this is to a less extent of that)
a) power, b) it is an uncommon.

theatog wrote:
and now that you mention your purpose, it almost feels like you are making a failed Taunting Elf of some sort as that body almost never warrant a block altogether. if you make it, say, 3/3, that would make more sense.
it's not supposed to be a taunting elf? it's supposed to be a hard-to-block aggressive early drop for a lizard deck. it's not supposed to be blocked.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:21 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I really like the flavour of Elude, though to be fair they haven't really used the two-headed flavour for a while.

I also dislike the Summiteers, but because none of its three keywords works with the others. Reach requires you to block, so elude and trample are useless. But Elude and trample are also dumb together, since elude already makes chump blocking very difficult. I can count on one time the number of situations where a creature with elude and trample is going to be blocked and still deal combat damage to a player. It just doesn't seems like a coherent concept.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

ty wrote:
I really like the flavour of Elude, though to be fair they haven't really used the two-headed flavour for a while.

I also dislike the Summiteers, but because none of its three keywords works with the others. Reach requires you to block, so elude and trample are useless. But Elude and trample are also dumb together, since elude already makes chump blocking very difficult. I can count on one time the number of situations where a creature with elude and trample is going to be blocked and still deal combat damage to a player. It just doesn't seems like a coherent concept.

This is what I said! I think you could do reach and elude together which would give the card a clear attack vs. defend mentality, (not my preference, though I understand it) but trample really makes things odd. I realize tokens are a problem, but whatever, let them be. You're still eating more tokens than a Craw Wurm would.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:55 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Beastwell debate feels underpowered. Even if you have a lizard, it's probably worse than Ponder.
Draconem Summiteers doesn't need trample. First of all, it's antisynergistic with elude, because if they're double blocking it, you probably won't get damage through anyways. Second, does a common really need 3 abilities on one card?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Cato wrote:
Beastwell debate feels underpowered. Even if you have a lizard, it's probably worse than Ponder.

Ya, but Ponder is banned in Modern and restricted in Vintage. Because Ponder is TOO GOOD.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:40 pm 

ty wrote:

Are we only allowed to design hyper-focused and blatantly coherent cards now?

This is a very relevant argument for Constructed (even if I'm annoyed that it is literally impossible to build a mono-red midrange deck today), but for limited...why the hell can't we have dual purpose cards or slightly redundant cards which grant negligible benefits?

To me, its an even better skill tester...include it in my deck because it's versatile, or ignore it because it doesnt fit my focus...hmmm, sounds like a great sideboard card which may occasionally meet main deck criteria...

Edit: Actually...Summiteers would almost certainly always be included in my sealed deck...and he'd be at least a 2.5 in draft...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:51 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Cato wrote:

Ya, but Ponder is banned in Modern and restricted in Vintage. Because Ponder is TOO GOOD.

But nobody plays lizards in modern or vintage.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

If your suggestion is to make it Ponder for four instead of Index cantrip for four... ya, that's probably doable with the lizard clause.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:16 pm 

I personally though Debate was the coolest out of all of them, with enough lizards its pretty incredible, without...you're better off leaving it out. Limited though...In Constructed, unless Lizards get some REALLY good stuff, unplayable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

POSValkir wrote:
Are we only allowed to design hyper-focused and blatantly coherent cards now?

This is a very relevant argument for Constructed (even if I'm annoyed that it is literally impossible to build a mono-red midrange deck today), but for limited...why the hell can't we have dual purpose cards or slightly redundant cards which grant negligible benefits?

this is basically what I would've said but I'm glad someone else said it.

although I completely and utterly disagree that Elude and trample have anti-synergy. that's true only at the most basic, surface-observation level. when you think about Elude's weaknesses, its biggest downside is how it does nothing to token decks happy to crank out piles of 1/1s that can double-block easily. for instance, for an in-set example, look at Leprechaun Dinghy. every time Leprechaun Dinghy gets through, you get two 1/1s that can together block any elude critter. those are the sorts of decks Elude struggles against, and a 4-power trampler absolutely helps get damage through there. in the same way that a 6/6 flier can have trample, because the sorts of things that will be blocking it are mostly low-toughness, Elude works well with trample by shoring up each other's weaknesses, not by accenting each other's strengths.

PS: Debate is a bad card. it's supposed to be.

Like this post