It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:08 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Qelan, The Isle Of Winds

Qelan is home to Ossia's Djinns. Qelan can only vaguely be called an Isle: it is in fact hundreds of small islands in a sprawling archipelago. they remain close enough to easily transit, though, especially as many Djinn can ride winds, so they have developed as one society. the Djinn do not have permanent homes: they drift from island to island, taking shelter and rest where they will. they also have a fairly poor sense of ownership. they take what they want, and when they grow bored of their possessions other Djinn steal them away. this perception has extended to the other Isles as well. Djinn will show up, take whatever they desire, bring them back to Qelan, and eventually grow tired of them and leave them behind.

the Djinn are perhaps the most ruthless tribe, but their rage is easily distracted. they are eternally curious, seeking out new toys and new experiences with the recklessness of a child and the ruthlessness of a hardened killer. Djinn travel in groups called bands, but at any given moment they may break away from the band to pursue something that has caught their attention. sailors from the other Isles learned that if the Djinn attack, the best approach is to flee toward another Isle, as the Djinn will often turn away and attack the larger bounty.

Society of Qelan

Qelan is made of hundreds of small isles, the ownership of which is constantly changing. there is no real society on Qelan. the bands of Djinn form temporary families, but soon disperse as their members grow different interests. there are no leaders among the Djinn, though bands may temporarily follow one individual. while the Djinn would never describe themselves as egalitarian, it summarizes their existence quite well. respect among the Djinn is hard-earned and fleeting, and those in leadership positions today may be followers, or even dead tomorrow. the only law of Qelan is acquisition: what you take is yours. clashes between bands or individual Djinn are common, though by the end the sides rarely remember or care why they began fighting.

Notable Locations of Qelan

The Cave of Dreams: The Cave of Dreams sits on one of the larger islands of Qelan. it is where most things the Djinn steal wind up once they no longer want them. over time, things move around the Isle, and as they fall into the Cave they are forgotten. the Cave is a beloved place for young Djinn who have not seen the world, full of gold, jewels, and other relics taken from the other Isles. most adult Djinn, though, do not care for the Cave, as it represents things they have already seen. while no rule forbids it, nothing is ever removed from the Cave. once an object has made its way there, the Djinn feel, it has lost its interest. some expeditions from other Isles, notably Dragonroost, have attempted to reach the Cave, but none have yet managed to make it past the wandering Djinn alive.

The Port of Winds: The Port of Winds extends off the southmost Isle of Qelan, and houses most of their navy. Djinn ships tend to be small, as large groups of Djinn do not get along well. at most, most boats tend to hold no more than 5 individuals, more suited to quick raids than prolonged warfare. a few larger ships exist, but they are rarely used. The Port of Winds is also an active trading port, as the Djinn welcome other Isles to offer new and exciting goods for the goods of the Djinn, most of which they stole from those traders in the first place.

Alqin: Alqin, known as the Seat of Death, is an island with a deep fissure through it. the fissure cuts into an underwater glacier, leading down into frozen crystalline caves. these caves are home to a rare subset of the Djinn, known to the residents of Qelan as the Frigid. the Frigid wait in their caves in Alqin, Qelan's secret elite. in a sense, the Frigid are mercenaries: they will not rise from Alqin unless properly compensated. however, they will not fight for any Isle but Qelan either. in times past, they served as muscle in disputes among the Djinn, but these days they are mostly summoned to defend the Isle or, if necessary, lead an attack.

Notable Individuals of Qelan

Temik Wildsong: Temik Wildsong is the stuff of Djinn legend. he claims to have successfully raided all nine Isles, though he quickly lost most of the trophies he brought back. he captains a small ship, constantly leading raids with his loyal crew against any ship that crosses his path. his greatest fear is peace, as the war between the Isles gives him perfect cover to sack and steal as he sees fit. for each successful raid he cuts himself a new scar to celebrate, and after many years of raiding, it's all but impossible to tell where one scar ends and another begins, leading to the claim that Temik has been on an uncountable number of raids. whenever Temik returns to port, he chooses a whole new crew, and when his sails are spotted on the horizon Djinn from all over Qelan rush to the port for consideration.

Mesik the Emblazoned: Mesik is perhaps the greatest warrior of Qelan. her honorific derives from the intricate tattoos of magical fire she wears, wrought into her skin. she says the patterns tell the story of her life, although she has never explained how to read them. she travels Qelan alone, refusing bands, seeking others to fight. she cares little for the objects that so fascinate her kin, instead seeking out the experience of new and exciting combat. she stays mostly in Qelan, as she views the other races as inherently inferior. she does not believe she could find a worthy opponent among them, so she doesn't care what happens to them.

Mil'Tar the Cold: Mil'Tar is the eldest and most dangerous of the Frigid. incredibly level-headed for a Djinn, Mil'Tar misses the old way, where Qelan's issues were with Qelan. while at first it seemed interesting, he has grown bored of the war. while not exactly a desire for unity, this made him the best recruit available for the Council of Ossia. Mil'Tar is fascinated by the machinations of the Council, and awestruck by the months or even years the Council's plans are meant to unfold in. while he has little to bring to the table for long-term planning, he has been working with the Frigid to slowly raise their costs, until Qelan can no longer afford their assistance. he is also working to ensure that, when the Council rises to unite Ossia, that the Frigid will stand behind them, ready to protect the fragile alliance.

the three classes of Qelan are Assassin, Barbarian, and Pirate.

Mechanics of Qelan

the Djinn Keyword is Assail:

Assail (You may cast this creature for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)

Assail represents the Djinn's aggressive but flighty nature. they hit hard, but they are likely to leave just as quick as they arrived. mechanically, it's a wedding between Evoke and Unearth.

Trinketbearer-
Creature-Djinn Pirate Assassin (C)
Assail (You may cast Trinketbearer for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
When Trinketbearer dies, draw a card.
The winds of Qelan blow always toward fortune.
1/1

Roving Vandal-
Creature-Djinn Assassin Barbarian (C)
Assail (You may cast Roving Vandal for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
Flying
Whenever Roving Vandal deals combat damage to a player, that player discard a card.
The Djinn do not think of "need", only "want".
2/2

Wildsong Raider-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian Pirate (C)
Assail (You may cast Wildsong Raider for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
Haste
Temik's crew tells stories about their escapades. No one believes them, but no one questions them either.
5/4

Flametouched Warband-
Creature-Djinn Barbarian (U)
Assail (You may cast Flametouched Warband for . If you do, it has haste and sacrifice it at the beginning of the end step.)
As long as you control another Djinn, Flametouched Warband has trample and first strike.
"One was enough."~Narrin Swiftpad
3/1

Magic of Qelan

the Djinn hit hard and fast, with little regard for themselves. their spells are short-term gains with little regard for long-term costs.

A Thousand Gales-
Sorcery (C)
Return target nonland permanent to its owner's hand. If you control a Djinn, draw a card.
The blessings of Qelan have run many ships aground.

Rash Abduction-
Sorcery (U)
If you control a Djinn, Rash Abduction costs less to cast.
Untap target creature and gain control of it until end of turn. That creature gains haste and trample until end of turn.
The Djinn always seek new things. The Djinn also tend to think of other life as "things".

Frigid Contract-
Instant (R)
You draw two cards, then you lose 2 life unless you control a Djinn.
The aid of the Alqin does not come cheap.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Yeah, make a common specter. Limited's gonna be fun as hell now.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:42 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

was under the impression those existed. a quick bit of research reveals that okiba-gang shinobi is the only one in modern, and that lacks evasion. I'm killing flying and making it a 2/3.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:25 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Assail [COST] (You may cast this spell for its assail cost. If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")

The sacrifice as written doesn't feel like it would trigger on end steps after the first. This is because the ability isn't actually being given to the card, but is instead a command. End of turn sacrifices that are commands use the word "next" because of this. Otherwise, they'd probably write the command "At the beginning of each end step,..." If you're hellbent on the abilities being permanent, just put the sacrifice in quotations to match up with other non-keyword ability gains.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:47 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Assail [COST] (You may cast this spell for its assail cost. If you do, it gains haste and "At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice this creature.")

The sacrifice as written doesn't feel like it would trigger on end steps after the first. This is because the ability isn't actually being given to the card, but is instead a command. End of turn sacrifices that are commands use the word "next" because of this. Otherwise, they'd probably write the command "At the beginning of each end step,..." If you're hellbent on the abilities being permanent, just put the sacrifice in quotations to match up with other non-keyword ability gains.

FINE

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:05 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Assail enchantments for haste tapping!

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:16 pm 

How about...
Darkchanter :2::b:
Creature - Djinn
:t:: Add :b::b: to your mana pool.
Assail :b:
1/1

Is this too far off the color pie?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Cato wrote:
How about...
Darkchanter :2::b:
Creature - Djinn
:t:: Add :b::b: to your mana pool.
Assail :b:
1/1

Is this too far off the color pie?

black doesn't really get rituals anymore, and it's never really gotten ramp. I also want to make sure I have at least one saboteur Assailant, because it's a staple place to go with it, and putting it on the mid-cost one made the most sense. I'm not married to discard, though, it's just the only other good saboteur ability black has is edicts and if discard's off the table I can't imagine edicts are ok.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:43 pm 

Test User (1)
Wildsong Raider
Hm... not common plz.
That's 5/6 a ball lightning. and sometimes a 3 mana lava axe.

I don't know why i am a bit sad this feels a bit evokey.

Especially die-trigger.
I would avoid die-trigger altogether. Or maybe end of turn trigger instead.
Like if i reap the benefit anyway, there's no reason not to throw them in the front line. I think if you Don't get the benefit if it dies before end of turn makes the tension a bit more interesting.

Last edited by theatog on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

after some research on common black saboteurs in modern, there's... not a lot. but here's what there is:

blind zealot: barely counts, but included for completeness. murder doesn't seem right here.
mana skimmer: ha nope
okiba-gang shinobi: discard
skullsnatcher: exile from graveyards, really weak ability. (although I do have a recursion mechanic.)
stromkirk patrol: makes no sense with assail

so discard or exile from graveyard appear to be my options. I think without flying that discard is ok. it'll mostly probably be assailing, swinging for 2 and forcing a discard like a mini-blightning that you can block.

theatog wrote:
Wildsong Raider
Hm... not common plz.
That's 5/6 a ball lightning. and sometimes a 3 mana lava axe.
arc runner and tenement crasher say each mode is acceptable at common. neither of those cards is pushing power bounds, and this is harder to cast in each mode. remember, Ball Lightning had trample.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:41 pm 

Test User (1)
Well i would say your power level rivals skizzik

Does losing trample = 1 less mana + 1 toughness? For Common?

You have 2 creatures that is on curve for a common. Usually when you add versatility, at least one mode is less efficient.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
Well i would say your power level rivals skizzik

Does losing trample = 1 less mana + 1 toughness? For Common?
yup. trample's a big deal on ball lightning effects.

theatog wrote:
You have 2 creatures that is on curve for a common. Usually when you add versatility, at least one mode is less efficient.
both are less efficient. they cost more colored mana. and neither of the original cards were good. Raider is probably better than both of them, but that doesn't break anything because there was room to go up. crasher is a mid pick at best, runner is only anything in a very specific deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:16 am 

Identity: Male
Oh man, it's like you tailor-designed my perfect tribe. I love this entire faction.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:21 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Oh man, it's like you tailor-designed my perfect tribe. I love this entire faction.

I'm actually you. this is a dream you're having.

...never wake up. :takei:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 am 

I mean, I love the specter as a design, I just don't think it's common.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Why is there an instant speed Sign in Blood at rare?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:52 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I really don't like this keyword in blue. It's red-black to me, perhaps extending to green if you need three colours. Blue, philosophically, is about slow accumulation and long-term planning, not "**** it I'm sending this dude straight to the dome now" like red is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:57 am 

Well, the old grixis mechanic, Unearth, did the same thing with blue.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:10 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
Unearth is different, though, because it's recursion. Unearth gets you even more use out of creatures, and blue is amoral enough that it doesn't particularly care about using dead creatures to further its purpose. Burning your long-term resource of a permanent creature to get some quick damage in now seems supremely not blue.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:04 pm 

I think it's fine in blue, reminiscent of Ninjutsu. I think there's an adequate flavor to support it. Especially given Khans use of Djinn, which seem to make them...bursty?

I think they're fine except maybe the power level on Abduction.

With Assail it doesnt seem hard to get the cheap version PLUS the benefit of the Assail creature. That's fine I think, but the Trample is pretty huge swing. It might be ok at Uncommon, but it feels a little too powerful.

Comboing it up with any of the above Commons makes it a undeniably brutal in Limited...especially Wildsong

Like this post