It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Telimar, The Isle Of Arbors

Telimar is home to the Dryads. the Dryads of Ossia are a cautious but vengeful folk. since the war began, they have been the least aggressive island, making only small forays before retreating to their trees. to start, many took this as weakness, and attempted to conquer Telimar for its strategic position, but few who have tried to breach it shores have come back. in time most captains learned to stay far from Telimar, though the wiser ones keep one eye out for what the Dryads plan next.

Dryads are creatures born of the trees. while the details of their mating are not known, what is known is that each dryad has its spirit bonded to the tree it was born to. the Dryads refer to this as their Home Tree. each tree can support only one Dryad at a time: attempting to spawn a second Dryad in a tree still linked to an existing one is considered unspeakably horrific by Dryads. however, a Dryad's life is not tied to its Home Tree, nor vice versa: each can go on living long after the other is dead.

Society of Telimar

the Dryads of Telimar divide themselves into Orders. it is often said that there are as many Orders as there are trees on the Isle. most Dryads are part of many Orders. some of the major orders are the Acolytes, the Leafbenders, the Tillers, the Sophisticates, the Nightwalkers, the Dewdrinkers, and the feared Desecrators. each Order is led by its own Council, a group of three to five Dryads recognized by the members of the Order as leaders. this system makes it very hard to determine what the Isle as a whole wants to do, leading to slow action, but each Order has the autonomy to take actions its Council deems necessary. this leads to a fractured and contentious inner working as Orders disagree, but as soon as a threat presents itself, Telimar unites.

Notable Locations of Telimar

Lightgrove: Lightgrove is an open grove located near the middle of Telimar. it is maintained by the Acolytes as a place of deep reflection, but it also serves as a meeting ground between Orders. many similar clearings dot Telimar, but Lightgrove is the largest and the grandest. no one but Dryads are allowed in the Groves: on occasions where foreign diplomats come to Telimar, they are met on the shores.

The Blackened Forest: The Blackened Forest is a new landmark. near the north edge of Telimar, it marks where the Blackrock army lay siege to the Isle in the early days of the war, a scar worn by Telimar so that its people may never forget the atrocities of war. the burning pitch of the attackers burned a wide swath of the forest. the blaze was only stopped thanks to the quick work of the Dewdrinkers, diverting the Wandervein to contain it before the flames consumed the Isle. in retaliation, the Desecrators sunk their ships, then sailed to Blackrock and obliterated three tribes, dragging their chiefs' bodies back to Telimar and hanging them from the trees on the shore of the Blackened Forest. Blackrock troops have not returned.

The Wandervein: The Wandervein is a series of streams that run through Telimar. they flow from a central spring known as the Wanderhub, then spread out all across the isle. they eventually end in a ring that runs around the Isle. they once ran to the sea, but the careful work of the Tillers redirected them so as to keep the precious water on the Isle for as long as it was needed. the Dryads now better than to assume the Wanderhub's water is infinite, and the trees of the Isle can't survive on the acidic, salty ocean water.

Notable Individuals of Telimar

Meili, Lightgrove Acolyte: Meili is the newest member of the Council of Acolytes, but she has quickly earned the respect of the Order. the Acolytes are charged with the task of maintaining the Groves that cover Telimar, maintaining the island's spiritual beauty. Meili is a strong advocate of the idea many Dryads hold that it is the responsibility of the Dryads to remove the blight of other species from the Isles, and spread Telimar's reach across the entirety of Ossia. she points to the Blackened Forest as proof that the other Islands want them dead, and that the only way to protect their way of life is to strike before the war returns to their shores. while for now she is the only member of the Council of Acolytes to hold this view, if she can sway them, their influence could lead to all-out war.

Tenel, Blanch Sophisticate: the Sophisticates are tasked with speaking for the trees. the ancient dryad Tenel is universally recognized among the Order as the greatest Sophisticate alive, perhaps the greatest to have ever lived. while the Sophisticates have a Council of five, the other leaders defer to Tenel in all things. this influence is why Tenel was the first person Pumik reached out to when it wanted to ally the Isles. Tenel recognizes the need for peace, pointing also to the Blackened Forest as a reminder of the cost of war. but while Meili sees it as a rallying cry, Tenel views it as a cautionary tale. through the Sophisticates, he warns of the dangers of warfare, but he fears that Meili's warmongering is winning out.

Kimil, Ashbark Desecrator: the Desecrators are the most feared Order on Telimar. unlike the others, the Desecrators are forbidden from joining other Orders. in order to become a Desecrator, a Dryad must burn down their Home Tree, severing all bonds with the woods and submitting their lives to the defense of Telimar. the Desecrators have nothing to live for, so they serve fearlessly and unquestioningly. they are savagely efficient warriors, but the loss of their Home Trees strips them of much of their will and cunning. only the elders, drawn from other Orders to serve, retain some of their minds: the rest only serve. their Council is made up of such converts from the other Great Orders, who gave up their lives to serve their homes. Kimil had been a Nightwalker, but after seeing the danger her home was in, she joined the Desecrators to keep it safe. she does not care for war, but neither does she care to end it. her only goal is to keep Telimar safe, and avenge transgressions against it a thousandfold.

the three classes of Telimar are Druid, Monk, and Minion.

Mechanics of Telimar

the Dryad keyword is Landform:

{type}form (, : This creature becomes a {type} land. You may pay to end this effect.)

Landform represents the Dryads' tendency to retreat to relative safety. the flavor bugs me a little bit in that they flavorfully all want to become forests but I should really have them be the color that's on the card, but I think that's overlookable. just think of plainsform as retreating the the Groves, and swampform as retreating to the Blackened Forest. or don't, I'm not the boss of you. for simplicity I'm keeping all Landform costs at 1C (well, all mono-colored ones, anyway...) but that could change in later sets/blocks/who knows.

Nightwalker Sapling-
Creature-Dryad Minion Druid (C)
Swampform (, : Nightwalker Sapling becomes a Swamp land. You may pay to end this effect.)
No Dryad in their right mind would dare insult the Nightwalkers, lest they find themselves infested with termites.
1/2

Wandervein Monitor-
Creature-Dryad Druid Monk (C)
Forestform (, : Wandervein Monitor becomes a Forest land. You may pay to end this effect.)
When Wandervein Monitor enters the battlefield, draw a card.
"Seeking a Dewdrinker."~Telimar expression meaning "Wasting time."
2/1

Leafbender Goliath-
Creature-Dryad Monk Minion (C)
Vigilance
Plainsform (, : Leafbender Goliath becomes a Plains land. You may pay to end this effect.)
The largest Dryads tend toward the Leafbenders. When your job is trimming the trees, height has certain advantages.
3/5

Grovetender-
Creature-Dryad Monk (U)
Plainsform (, : Leafbender Goliath becomes a Plains land. You may pay to end this effect.)
As long you control another Dryad, Grovetender has lifelink.
"A beautiful world makes a beautiful mind."~Acolyte Dictum
2/2

Magic of Telimar

the Dryads of Telimar defend their home viciously, but would rather focus inward than strike out at those who aren't attacking them.

Touch of Ashbark-
Sorcery (C)
Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn. If you control a Dryad, draw a card.
To cross the Desecrators is to relinquish your claim to life.

Drink the Dew-
Sorcery (U)
If you control a Dryad, Drink the Dew costs less to cast.
You gain 8 life.
"Walk with me, sapling, and taste the gifts of the Wandervein."

Silviculture-
Sorcery (R)
Search your library for a basic land card and put that card onto the battlefield. Then shuffle your library. If you control a Dryad, you may find any land card instead.
The Order of Tillers is unrivaled in its craft, bringing life to a forest adrift in a sea of war.

so that's Telimar and these things take forever to write so I hope at least one person reads the whole thing. next stop on our whirlwind tour: Kemil, Isle of Mares.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:46 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Dryad tribal is pretty sexy in every way.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:08 pm 

Test User (1)
retreat to safety

: (

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:09 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
retreat to safety

: (

are you a particularly effective combatant while fleeing?

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:21 pm 

Test User (1)
Leafbender Goliath
does it anyway.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:32 pm 

Identity: Male
What incentive do you have in the set to make your Dryads lands?

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Last edited by chinkeeyong on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:33 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

Are these guy dryads?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:40 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

removal spells? spells that cost mana?

DS wrote:
Are these guy dryads?
some of them? Meili and Kimil are female, Tenel is male.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:30 am 

Test User (1)
razorborne wrote:

removal spells? spells that cost mana?

That was exactly my problem with it. For it to dodge removal spells, it has to be untapped. I'd compare their ability to transform with licid. Licid transform with a clear purpose, they give effect as an aura. almost anything landform can do, licid can do, with probably the exception that licid are always small (1/1) in size. land in comparison pales in usefulness. And quite a number of them come down late.

For it to become mana, some of them are 4 and 6 to cast...

Last edited by theatog on Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:31 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

on further reflection, I think Landform plays better if you can't un-land at instant speed. like I still want you to be able to make them lands to dodge removal, but I don't think them jumping out from your land pile to block is a good thing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:41 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
That was exactly my problem with it. For it to dodge removal spells, it has to be untapped.
right. it's not hexproof+wrath resistance for free. the dryads are mostly a defensive tribe. if you go on the offensive you risk retaliation. notice, also, that blocking creatures are untapped, and can go into land mode to prevent damage.

theatog wrote:
For it to become mana, some of them are 4 and 6 to cast...
only if you think of it only as a land. every card with Landform has multiple modes it can be used in, and it can switch back and forth at will. that flexibility isn't free.

Nightwalker Sapling is the closest you get to a pure ramp spell out of it. you play it turn 1 to absorb any 1-power attacks coming in (that second point of toughness was a very deliberate choice) but you're probably swamping it pretty quickly, and it's unlikely to come out until late in the game when you have too much mana as is and could use a random body.

Wandervein Monitor you cast mostly for the draw, but Shaman of Spring was a totally acceptable body in limited. if you need to 2-for-1 a bear, Monitor's got your back. and if you've got the time, you can make it a forest to ramp further.

Leafbender Goliath is the other end of the spectrum. you'll almost never leave it in plains form because its body is too good. but its vigilance means you can attack and still protect it.

Grovetender sort of straddles the line. you'll mostly want it for its body, but sometimes, especially when you don't have another Dryad, that body's not doing much and transforming it is better. it's also again removal resistance, although the body is somewhat aggressive so it won't get as much from that as a more defensive body might.

point is, Landform is a decision. you have to commit to your choices, and in order to do that there have to be costs. it's not a perfect shield because if it was it'd be too good, and it'd be less fun to play. I'd be open to reducing the mana costs, if people think that's a good idea, but the tapping is fundamental to the mechanic.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:30 am 

Identity: Male
Okay, this mechanic is neater than I thought. I do think there should be a couple of cards in the set that reward you for having a lot of lands though.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:40 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Okay, this mechanic is neater than I thought. I do think there should be a couple of cards in the set that reward you for having a lot of lands though.

I agree. not sure where I'll slot them in yet but it's definitely a good idea.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:49 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I'd like it if you were able to cast it directly in landmode. That way it could be real ramp when you needed it. That is probably incompatible with your current keyword, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:12 pm 

I like the jumping out of the land pile to block thing though. Very flavorful. Like, "Oh we'll walk through this forest and attack that Wizard." But the forest is a creature and it totally gets those foolish fools.

I also like Ty's suggestion. Maybe both could be in the same Block to demonstrate some sort of change or growth over the course of a story.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:38 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

2Shieldz wrote:
I like the jumping out of the land pile to block thing though. Very flavorful. Like, "Oh we'll walk through this forest and attack that Wizard." But the forest is a creature and it totally gets those foolish fools.

yeah, but on-board combat tricks feel bad. especially ones that sit in the land pile where you've been trained not to look.

Like this post