It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:21 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
(Fleets of Ossia archives)

Teth, The Isle Of Faces

Teth is home to the Gargoyles of Ossia. they are an ancient, tireless tribe. they live longer than any other race but the ageless Worldkin. while Gargoyle populations grow and shrink like any other, none off the isle of Teth know how, as they do not seem to reproduce. when a Gargoyle dies, its body is reclaimed by its comrades, to be repurposed to form the next generations. where most species have blood, Gargoyles have two substances that pump through their bodies: Petram Vitae and Petram Memoriam. Petram Vitae carries life, animating their rocky forms, while Petram Memoriam carries the thoughts and memories of every Gargoyle to come before. in this way, Gargoyles are born knowing the history of their species. there are no children among Gargoyles.

Gargoyle bodies do not repair themselves. each Gargoyle bears the scars and wear of their entire life. as a Gargoyle gains enough damage, he becomes a Grotesque. this is a term of respect: the Grotesques are the elders of Teth. they have more personal experience, and are deferred to by younger Gargoyles informed only by their Petram Memoriam. at some point, though, the Grotesques are considered to grow so wise that it is their responsibility to return that wisdom to Teth, sacrificing their lives to pass their Petram Memoriam on to all future Gargoyles.

Society of Teth

all Gargoyles are born with an innate knowledge of their past and a strict sense of duty toward their kind, so within the Isle there is no need for a leader. Gargoyles see their service to Teth as paramount. coupled with their infinite patience this leads to a society that largely runs itself. however, a voice is necessary in dealings with the outside world. in those regards, the Gargoyles have deferred to the elder statesman Pumik to speak for them. Pumik's promises are law, and no Gargoyle would dare contradict it in matters of foreign policy. however, on Teth, it is but another grotesque serving its home as best it can.

Notable locations of Teth

The Slatefall: The Slatefall is a mile-high sheer cliff face that surrounds Teth on all sides. the Gargoyles, with their preternatural climbing abilities and unending stamina, can conquer it easily, but no other species but the Windkin of Milor could reach the top. along the way, faces have been carved into the walls, representing great Gargoyles of ages past and giving The Isle of Faces its name. since the beginning of the war, Gargoyles have built piers at the base of the Slatefall, from which they can launch their ships.

The Warden's Watch: The Warden's Watch is a ring of 512 stone perches on the edges of Teth. day and night, these perches are sat by the Farwatchers, keeping an eye out for invaders. at the first sight of danger, the Farwatchers let out a shrill scream. each post is within earshot of the next, so the shriek travels along the line, alerting the entire island to danger.

The Brooding Pit: The Brooding Pit is a deep trench located in the middle of Teth. it serves as both graveyard and birthing ground. interred Gargoyles are ground up, separating their Petram Vitae and their Petram Memoriam, to be infused into new Gargoyles. their bodies are also harvested, broken down and reused to sculpt the next generation. the nature of the Brooding Pit is Teth's best-kept secret.

Notable Individuals of Teth

Pumik: Pumik is an ancient Grotesque charged with representing Teth's interests in dealings with the other islands. Pumik holds Teth's privacy paramount, and believes the only way to maintain that is alliance among the Isles. as such, it has worked to organize representatives of all the Isles to push toward the unification of their forces and the laying down of arms. the so-called Council of Ossia meets in secret: only Teth knows of their dealings. Pumik's actions are not universally loved on Teth, but no one dares defy its word.

Basilian: Basilian is the greatest captain in Teth's fleet. Tethian military operations are small and targeted: they do not like to wage war, as every Gargoyle life is precious and a body lost to the sea is gone forever. instead they plan their strikes very carefully, hitting their target, and nothing else. Basilian is a master tactician, spending hours pouring over minute details of plans. their patience and their lack of sleep grant the Gargoyles a great tactical advantage. Basilian is said to have spent six days staring at a map once, planning an attack on a Blackrock tribe leader, calculating every single variable down to the angle at which their throat would be cut. as a relatively young Gargoyle, Basilian does not involve itself in politics. it does what it is told, and does it with disturbing success.

Obsidius: Obsidius is the captain of the Farwatchers. once a Farwatcher himself, Obsidius's eyes were mauled in an invasion attempt by a fleet from Kemil, so now it serves to coordinate the efforts of the Farwatchers. a widely respected Grotesque, Obsidius opposes Pumik's plans for unification, fearing that peace will not keep others off of Teth. Obsidius wants to eradicate the other Isles, but knows better than to challenge Pumik publicly. the two have had many debates in private on the subject, however. Obsidius favors eradication, destroying opposing Isles to keep Teth safe. while it does not disobey Pumik, its Farwatchers are under orders to destroy any ship spotted off the shores of Teth, its attempt to force Pumik's hand to all-out war.

the three classes of Teth are Advisor, Assassin, and Minion.

Mechanics of Teth

the Gargoyle keyword is Petriform:

Petriform (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to this creature, prevent that damage.)

Petriform represents the Gargoyles' legendary resilience. you can't kill a gargoyle through scrapes and scratches: you shatter it to pieces or nothing.

Mineral Keeper-
Creature-Gargoyle Minion Advisor (C)
Petriform (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to Mineral Keeper, prevent that damage.)
: Mineral Keeper gets +0/+1 until end of turn.
Deep in the heart of the Isle of Faces, life is forged from the husks of the dead.
1/1

Seabound Grotesque-
Creature-Gargoyle Advisor Assassin (C)
Petriform (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to Seabound Grotesque, prevent that damage.)
"Others kill for glory, or revenge, or joy. The fleets of Teth kill for duty, and in duty we are unstoppable."
2/4

Warden Watch Animus-
Creature-Gargoyle Assassin Minion (C)
Flying, Petriform (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to Warden Watch Animus, prevent that damage.)
Carved in the likeness of beasts long since dead, the Animus are the elite warriors of Teth, their savage forms belying a deep, cruel cunning.
3/3

Darksea Captain-
Creature-Gargoyle Assassin (U)
Petriform (If a source would deal non-lethal damage to Darksea Captain, prevent that damage.)
As long as you control another Gargoyle, Darksea Captain has deathtouch.
Gargoyle fleets strike at night, under cover of darkness. They take what goods and lives they came for and depart without a trace.
1/4

Magic of Teth

the Gargoyles' magic focuses mainly defense, keeping their enemies at a distance while they build their forces. they also use their considerable cultural knowledge to find the exact answers they need.

Rouse The Watchers-
Instant (C)
Prevent all damage that would be dealt this turn. If you control a Gargoyle, draw a card.
"Over five hundred Watchers sit patiently along the Slatefall. Only a fool would try to take Teth by surprise."~Obsidius

Read The Stones-
Instant (U)
If you control a Gargoyle, Read The Stones costs less to cast.
Search your library for a card and put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
"Eventually, we must win. With each generation, they start anew, while we live on in the very rock."~Obsidius

Purge From Memory-
Instant (R)
Counter target spell. If you control a Gargoyle, search its controller's graveyard, hand, and library for all cards with the same name as that spell and exile them. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
When a Grotesque says "no", the World listens.

I hope you enjoyed our tour through Teth. next stop: Telimar, the Isle of Arbors.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:34 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
I really really like Petriform, but the name is dumb, and prevents reprinting. Maybe "Resilience"? "Steadfast"?

I'm wondering if Mineral Keeper is too strong? I guess a weenie isn't much to be scared of, but it's unkillable with enough white mana lying about.

Why aren't the Gargoyle spells tribal?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:41 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
I really really like Petriform, but the name is dumb, and prevents reprinting. Maybe "Resilience"? "Steadfast"?
I originally had it as Stoneskin, but had to change that because I used the word in the name of one of my non-Gargoyle legends and wanted to avoid confusion. I really wanted a word that conveyed not just being able to take a punch, but being literally rock-solid, otherwise it feels like a weaker fit for Gargoyles. Rush and I talked about it for a bit but couldn't come up with anything better. I'm certainly not married to Petriform (I barely like it) but if I do change it needs to be to something that still carries the "made of something hard" flavor rather than just generic resilience.

ty wrote:
I'm wondering if Mineral Keeper is too strong? I guess a weenie isn't much to be scared of, but it's unkillable with enough white mana lying about.
yeah, I went back and forth between a 1/1 for and a 1/2 for . I decided to go for the cheaper one but I could definitely be convinced to bump it up.

ty wrote:
Why aren't the Gargoyle spells tribal?
because Tribal is boring? also very little of my lording will affect instants and sorceries so I decided to just leave Tribal behind. and I also really don't want it on some of the non-creature permanents. there's a cycle of race-themed equipments, for instance, and I don't want those to turn on Darksea Captain because they're really hard to get rid of.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Not going to edit because you people posted stuff while I was writing.

I like the terminological distinction between the gargoyles. The inner pedant in me wants to complain, but I'm pretty sure ever fantasy setting out there has discarded the proper use of gargoyle and grotesque, so this will have to do.
Really not much fond of races that, at best, can only sustain numerical equilibrium. I would, at the very least, like to know why someone would design them that way, as they evidently don't appear naturally.
I don't like how flavorfully insular the keyword is. Not sure how relevant the ability will ever be, as using multiple cards to deal with a threat doesn't occur that often. I still like it conceptually, I just fear that it's mostly flavor text.
Don't like the trend of multiple classes on each gargoyle, and the classes themselves appear to be applied too generally for my taste.
The fact that the gargoyles known for their legendary resilence are using assassination tactics is very weird. Wouldn't such societies often be renowned for other things not related to getting hit? How is this represented in their gameplay style?
Why does the world listen when the grotesque speak?

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 pm 

Test User (1)
+1 to resilience

Mineral keeper is fine. it still won't see play constructed and bit meh in limited. I would say it's roughly equivalent to
Kin-Tree Warden

I personally not a big fan of tribal spell. Is there anyway you can associate those spells with gargoyles without outright stating if you control one. felt forced.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:50 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Stoneskin is better; it feels like it could be used in a non-gargoyle setting, since it can be used figuratively. Getting out my copy of Roget's, you could try Adamant (root is a type of rock I think)?

I would feel more comfortable with a 1/2 but I'm not saying that the 1/1 for is broken or anything. Just strong, probably a bit strong as a common in limited.

Fair enough on tribal, I think it's generally a judgemental call.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

Adamant has the same root as 'diamond'. I really like petriform too.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:04 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Mown wrote:
Really not much fond of races that, at best, can only sustain numerical equilibrium. I would, at the very least, like to know why someone would design them that way, as they evidently don't appear naturally.
they appear magically!

more seriously, they can expand their population. through means I didn't necessarily feel like getting into (that post took me 2 hours to write as is) Petram Vitae can be generated and harvested over time. think of it like blood: you have more blood in you right now than you did when you were born. similarly, as a Gargoyle ages, its body creates more Petram Vitae and Petram Memoriam. it's not a lot: the Petram Vitae in a Gargoyle returning to the Brooding Pit may be only about 20% more than it was made with, but over time that accumulates and populations can grow. Petram Memoriam is similar, but in order to create the cultural memory, reserves are kept of it anyway, so all the Petram Memoriam from all Gargoyles is mixed together before a small amount is extracted to make new life.

Mown wrote:
I don't like how flavorfully insular the keyword is. Not sure how relevant the ability will ever be, as using multiple cards to deal with a threat doesn't occur that often. I still like it conceptually, I just fear that it's mostly flavor text.
it kind of is, but it's costed like it is too. it does prevent things like double-blocking, or blocking plus a burn spell, which while they don't happen all the time, are certainly relevant.

Mown wrote:
Don't like the trend of multiple classes on each gargoyle, and the classes themselves appear to be applied too generally for my taste.
an unfortunate necessity of the block structure. I need there to be a lot of each class available at common. the dual-classed cards only occur at common.

Mown wrote:
The fact that the gargoyles known for their legendary resilence are using assassination tactics is very weird. Wouldn't such societies often be renowned for other things not related to getting hit? How is this represented in their gameplay style?
because their population grows very slowly. an assault force of Gargoyles may not lose many people, but each one that does is a huge blow to their population growth. they can't afford even light losses. their resilience gets them in and out, but relying on it in head-to-head combat is a risk they can't afford. furthermore, being great at taking a punch doesn't make you great at punching. in a fair fight with a Troll, for instance, a Gargoyle's toughness isn't gonna win, it's just gonna make it take longer to lose. besides, as the oldest and wisest of the surviving races, why shouldn't they? if they can win a battle in one strike with no casualties, what reason would they have for not doing that?

Mown wrote:
Why does the world listen when the grotesque speak?
magic.

PS: I like Adamant. I'll think about it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

in general, since Mown asked about the classes, the Advisors represent the Grotesques and the diplomats, the Assassins are the navy, and the Minions are the Farwatchers and the Stonecrafters. there's some overlap there (notably Obsidius is a respected Grotesque, but his ties to the Farwatchers makes him a Minion instead.) and in some cases it's not perfectly applied due to mechanical needs, but that's the basic premises.

PS: how would y'all feel about Adamantine instead? I think it roles off the tongue better.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:23 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

I know "adamantine" is a word in itself but I would just think of Wolverine.

I wouldn't really get Minion from Farwatchers and Stonecrafters, but I'm cool with the types.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

DS wrote:
I know "adamantine" is a word in itself but I would just think of Wolverine.
...yeah me too. I just kinda feel like Adamant isn't used in a way that would make people think of rocks or diamonds, though, even if its root is technically there.

DS wrote:
I wouldn't really get Minion from Farwatchers and Stonecrafters, but I'm cool with the types.
well, they're they ones who do the grunt work. the Farwatchers literally just sit there, forever, and stare at things, while the Stonecrafters (a group I didn't describe in the OP but don't worry about it) are the ones with the job of making more gargoyles. it's basically just working in a baby factory but in a way that isn't a euphemism. but yeah, they're also minions because WB is minions so something in Gargoyle society has to have that type.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:00 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ooh, Diamantine is a word. Imma go with that unless someone yells "NO RAZORBORNE STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING" in the next fifteen minutes.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

NO RAZORBORNE STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

DS wrote:
NO RAZORBORNE STOP WHAT ARE YOU DOING

aw

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

Stoneskin is good. Or calciferous.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:09 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

DS wrote:

Stoneskin is unfortunately unavailable due to being in the name of a legend that will not have the keyword.

Calciform?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:13 pm 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Calciform just doesn't feel like a keyword Wizards would use. Couldn't you just rename the legendary?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

ty wrote:
Calciform just doesn't feel like a keyword Wizards would use. Couldn't you just rename the legendary?

unfortunately no, I've committed this project to not changing any of the work I did on it before I shelved it. I named the Legends back then, so I'm stuck with them now.

how about just Stony?

Last edited by razorborne on Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:21 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
I don't think petriform will matter in enough games that it deserves keyword status.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '05
YMtC Idol Winner

razorborne wrote:
DS wrote:

Stoneskin is unfortunately unavailable due to being in the name of a legend that will not have the keyword.

Oh, right, you said that.

I like stoneskin partly because it's also the name of a gargoyle card in Hearthstone with the same mechanic.

Like this post