It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [FOS] The World Of Ossia
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:42 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Ossia is a plane submerged.

long ago, Ossia was like any other plane. sprawling jungles, wide expanses, cities, kingdoms, everything. then one day, the Flood began. the waters began to rise rapidly. no one knew where from, but kings and peasants alike fled their homes for higher and higher ground. life was pushed quickly to the highest points on the plane as the waters rose and rose, and as they did became more acidic, killing the life that had once thrived beneath its waves. it consumed everything, until the peaks of the highest mountains were all that stood above the sea. and then... it stopped. just as suddenly as it had begun. what was once a thriving landscape was now a single archipelago surrounded by the Infinite Sea, as inhospitable as it was wide. the few survivors who had managed the climb clung to their new homes and, as life so often does, began to rebuild.

over millenia, the denizens of Ossia built their islands in their own images, building their homes alongside their societies. from the imposing Teth, to the mysterious Epala, and the lush Telimar, the survivors carried on. some sought to understand the cause of the Flood, but none could. the water must have come from somewhere, they reasoned, but where could you store enough water to drown the world? and so as time went by they lost interest in that quest, and in time most records of the Flood were lost.

the Isle of Ossia are spread far apart. while the inhabitants know of each other, there was no way to travel between them so the civilizations developed largely in isolation. only the Wavekin of Milor could traverse the Infinite Sea, and they were content to keep to themselves. and then something odd happened. a boat washed ashore on Dragonroost. soon after, others arrived on the other islands. suddenly, the tribes of Ossia were not bound to their own shores. the first contacts between them were as short as they were bloody. what will the future hold? where did the mysterious fleets come from? there is no time to seek answers now.

war has come to Ossia.

welcome to the first preview article for Fleets of Ossia. for more details on the project, see here.

today, we'll take a look at one of the most important parts of the story of Ossia: the boats. these are mechanically separate from the tribal themes of the block. think of them like Traps in Zendikar: a flavorfully connected mechanic that lets players focus on something else if they want to. there are five ships at each rarity (two from each Isle, flavorfully) all bearing the set's only non-tribed keyword, War Machine.

War Machine (This artifact may attack as though it were a creature.)

War Machine is always accompanied by a triggered ability, which triggers when the artifact attacks and is unblocked. in fact, let's look at the common set now! (names and mechanics and flavor text and everything else subject to change once I flesh out the islands more)

Whitewing Skiff-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (Whitewing Skiff may attack as though it were a creature.)
Whenever Whitewing Skiff attacks and is unblocked, it deals 1 damage to target creature defending player controls.
By the time you hear them shriek, it's too late.

Swiftpad's Vessel-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (Swiftpad's Vessel may attack as though it were a creature.)
Whenever Swiftpad's Vessel attacks and is unblocked, draw a card.
"They say I sailed to the edge of the Infinite Sea and watched the water fall off the world. Did I? Well, who's to say?"~Narrin Swiftpad

Blanchwood Ferry-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (Blanchwood Ferry may attack as though it were a creature.)
Whenever Blanchwood Ferry attacks and is unblocked, gain 2 life.
The Isle of Arbors has no shortage of construction materials. Even in death, the trees make war.

Flamekin Ketch-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (Flamekin Ketch may attack as though it were a creature.)
Whenever Flamekin Ketch attacks and is unblocked, it deals 3 damage to defending player.
Mocked by the Wavekin for their reliance of transport ships, the Flamekin make up for their mobility with unrivaled savagery.

Leprechaun Dinghy-
Artifact-Ship (C)
War Machine (Leprechaun Dinghy may attack as though it were a creature.)
Whenever Leprechaun Dinghy attacks and is unblocked, create two 1/1 green Faerie creature tokens.
No one laughs at Kiber's height twice.

and a bonus land:

Uncharted Waters
Land (C)
: Add to your mana pool.
, , sacrifice Uncharted Waters: Search your library for a basic land card and put it onto the battlefield, then shuffle your library.
Rumors abound of what lies beyond the Infinite Sea. Most scholars, though, agree the most likely answer is "more sea."

these may change, who knows, but discuss amongst yourselves if you so desire.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:48 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Dammit I should have thought of ships.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:53 pm 

Identity: Male
SO MANY SETS

I think you should just make Leprechaun Dinghy's tokens Leprechauns. There's too much potential for players to be confused into thinking the tokens have flying. If the typing is relevant, make them Faerie Leprechauns.

Uncharted Waters is crazy good. It also makes you shuffle every turn, which I don't think should be at common. Compare Frontier Guide, an uncommon that costs exponentially more and has all sorts of other drawbacks.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:58 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

I think you should just make Leprechaun Dinghy's tokens Leprechauns. There's too much potential for players to be confused into thinking the tokens have flying. If the typing is relevant, make them Faerie Leprechauns.
Leprechaun isn't a type, and besides Faeries in Ossia don't all fly. in fact, ignoring Lorwyn, it's often used as a catch-all for all sorts of faefolk, many of whom don't fly. also, in order to facilitate the massive tribal demands in this set, I'm not using any other creature types.

Uncharted Waters is crazy good. It also makes you shuffle every turn, which I don't think should be at common. Compare Frontier Guide, an uncommon that costs exponentially more and has all sorts of other drawbacks.
oh whoops, it was supposed to sac. my bad.

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:20 am 

razorborne wrote:
Leprechaun isn't a type

Not yet, anyway.

razorborne wrote:
in fact, ignoring Lorwyn, it's often used as a catch-all for all sorts of faefolk, many of whom don't fly.

Every Faerie creature printed since 1995 has had flying. And there are a total of four Faerie creatures without flying in the entire history of Magic, not counting changelings. As precedent goes, that's pretty shaky.

Solphos: Solphos | Fool's Gold | Planeswalker's Guide | The Guiding Light | The Weight of a Soul
Game design: Pokémon Tales | Fleets of Ossia: War Machines | Hunter Killer | Red Jackie's Run

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:23 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

razorborne wrote:
Leprechaun isn't a type

Not yet, anyway.

razorborne wrote:
in fact, ignoring Lorwyn, it's often used as a catch-all for all sorts of faefolk, many of whom don't fly.

Every Faerie creature printed since 1995 has had flying. And there are a total of four Faerie creatures without flying in the entire history of Magic, not counting changelings. As precedent goes, that's pretty shaky.

yeah, but setting aside Lorwyn, "every faerie ever printed" is 32 creatures. there's not much precedent there either way, because outside of Lorwyn faeries barely exist.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:25 am 

Except leprachauns are fairies not faeries. Or maybe it's the other way around.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

LilyStorm wrote:
Except leprachauns are fairies not faeries. Or maybe it's the other way around.

aisling leprechaun says they're faeries.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:38 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

here's the thing: faeries are a partially green tribe. they have to be, that's not a thing I can change. that's because this was concepted before Lorwyn, when the only faerie lords ever were faerie noble and willow priestess. this means that I have to be able to establish that faeries don't all fly, because green doesn't get flying.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 am 

You don't have to do anything.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:06 am 

Test User (1)
war machine is brilliant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:54 am 

theatog wrote:
war machine is brilliant.

This.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:02 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

thanks, guys. I'm about 99% sure I'm not the first person to think of it, but I like the execution.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:13 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

also for the record, the events of the set actually take place a little bit after the events described in the OP. about 5 to 10 years after, probably.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 5:45 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I like these more than I'm willing to admit.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:29 pm 

Mown wrote:
I like these more than I'm willing to admit.

You admit more than your willing to like these.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:42 am 

It seems like it took a really long time for the inhabitants of an ocean world to invent boats.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:51 am 

It a potentially more constructive manner, I'm on the other side of War Machine. It seems to introduce a lot of complexity for something of marginal value. And assuming your set has any reasonable density of creatures, it doesn't seem like they would do anything most of the time.

These seem a bit wild in terms of which is 'best'. Not that that's really a bad thing, just the difference between 'gain 2 life' and Raise the Alarm seems pretty wide.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:29 am 

Yeah, the effect of war machine could just as easily be achieved by making the artifact a creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

These seem a bit wild in terms of which is 'best'. Not that that's really a bad thing, just the difference between 'gain 2 life' and Raise the Alarm seems pretty wide.

well, yeah, but so's the difference between and .

Yeah, the effect of war machine could just as easily be achieved by making the artifact a creature.
disagree. being a creature opens it up to all sorts of other interactions War Machine purposefully keeps them from.

Like this post