It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:59 pm 

Below is an uncommon cycle in my set-in-progress:

Experiential Valor -
Sorcery | U
Each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater gains vigilance, lifelink, and indestructible until end of turn.

I have considered some combination of vigilance, lifelink, and indestructible. This is the version I rested on - let me know which keyword, if any, should be removed to make this more balanced.

Experiential Knowledge -
Sorcery | U
Draw a card for each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater.

Compared to Divination and Shamanic Revelation, I believe this is balanced. There is an argument that this card is more green than blue, but card draw can be blue even if it's situational.

Experiential Drain -
Sorcery | U
Target opponent loses 2 life for each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater. You gain life equal to the life lost this way.

No direct comparisons. This card only targets opponents, not creatures. Brush with Death is the closest example to this card, but it has Buyback and, IMO, is not very aggressively priced for its ability.

Experiential Force -
Sorcery | U
Each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater deals damage equal to its power to target creature you don’t control.

This is quite a bit better than Tail Slash, but it's a sorcery and won't effect limited too much because it's an uncommon. I worry about this one the most. Keep in mind, Soul's Fire did the same ability as Tail Slash, but targeted creatures and players. Fall of the Hammer did the same ability, but costed less... maybe the extra push could be fine? It's still only targeting one creature.

Experiential Power -
Sorcery | U
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater. Those creatures gain trample until end of turn.

I believe there is a critical mass (two or more creatures with CMC 3+ on the battlefield) that make these playable.
Below that, they're pretty bad. Above that, they get bonkers. Help me decide if any of them get too bonkers.

For these cards, I would like constructive feedback:
- how would they play out in limited?
- as a cycle, are they all around the same power level?
- are any of them strictly better than current cards?
- Etc.

EDIT: Changed Experiential Drain from "Target opponent loses 2 life and you gain 2 life for each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater." to current wording.
EDIT: Changed Experiential Power from "Each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater gets +2/+2 and gains trample until end of turn." to current version due to other synergies within set.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:01 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
the wording on drain is rife with potential for misreading

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 pm 

Would better wording be "Target opponent loses 2 life for each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater. You gain life equal to the life lost this way."?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

BelangiaJo wrote:
Would better wording be "Target opponent loses 2 life for each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater. You gain life equal to the life lost this way."?

probably yeah

also force is totally fine

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:29 pm 

I might replace Experiential Power to the following:

Experiential Power -
Sorcery | U
Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with converted mana cost 3 or greater. Those creatures gain trample until end of turn.

It works better with other themes in the set.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:51 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

Putting the threshold at three feels too low to me. It just doesn't take much effort to achieve. If you're building a Limited deck, you could probably function without any one or two drop creatures at all. If CMC matters in a set, there should be some push towards including more big things in your deck, because it's fun when there's a bit of a twist on the strategies you would normally use. I'd go with at least 4, maybe even 5. That's where the heavy-hitting stuff starts really showing up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:50 pm 

White and green have a strong creature tokens theme, while blue/black/red has a keyword that increases converted mana costs.

Experience (For each counter on this permanent, increase its converted mana cost by 1.)

As such, I'm afraid that (if the converted mana cost is too high on these spells) white and green will have a harder time getting value.

4 CMC might not be too bad, though. I'll make a note to test these at 3 CMC and 4 CMC.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:37 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Experience seems like a bad keyword. it does nothing on its own and has a fairly small block of things it interacts with at all.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:21 pm 

Identity: Curious Cannoli
I think the idea is really clunky and I think the blue card (and red as well maybe) feels more green than blue.

"To believe something is to believe that it is true; therefore a reasonable person believes each of his beliefs to be true; yet experience has taught him to expect that some of his beliefs, he knows not which, will turn out to be false. A reasonable person believes, in short, that each of his beliefs is true and that some of them are false."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:17 pm 

What should be added to experience to make it more useful?

Experience (For each counter on this permanent, increase its converted mana cost by 1.)

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on another permanent you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a charge counter on this permanent.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on another permanent you control.
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a +1/+1 counter on this permanent.

When this permanent becomes the target of a spell or ability, put a charge counter on it.
When this permanent becomes the target of a spell or ability, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
When this permanent becomes the target of a spell, put a charge counter on it.
When this permanent becomes the target of a spell, put a +1/+1 counter on it.
When this permanent becomes the target of an ability, put a charge counter on it.
When this permanent becomes the target of an ability, put a +1/+1 counter on it.

I made a distinction between charge counters and +1/+1 counters because there is an obvious difference in power level, but they would both increase the converted mana cost.

Is there another, better option?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:45 pm 
Winner - CotY '16

The better option if you want CMC to matter would be to just push for higher CMC on cards in the set. In a set that cares about multicolor, you wouldn't take up complexity space with monocolored creatures that can become multicolored, you'd just print more multicolor cards. Create an environment where playing high mana cost creatures is beneficial and there are attractive deck-building options to make players "buy in". Artificially boosting CMC is meaningless in pretty much every format, so it's just going to be parasitic if you do it that way.

What the set really needs, if you're pushing converted mana cost, is a cost reducing ability or other "cheat" that lets you get high-mana cards onto the battlefield faster than normal. It doesn't have to feel obvious like Scornful Egotist or anything, it could work just fine as a regular mechanic that lets players manage resources strategically.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:41 pm 

Identity: Male
I agree with Fallingman. And while we're at it, I will mention that something like TS's just previewed Skald is a good example.

Like this post