It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm 

Identity: BIG BRAINED
MAKE CARD DESIGNS GREAT AGAIN!!!

We are here on this glorious occasion to MAKE CARD DESIGNS GREAT AGAIN.

As we all know, I am the SMARTEST and MOST INTELLIGENT poster on these forums. Due to my EXTREMELY HIGH IQ, I am gifted with the ability to create EXCELLENT CARD DESIGNS. This is an ability that many of you lack, as evidenced by the fact that your card designs are NOT AS GOOD AS MINE.

However, being the generous overlord that I am, I have decided to grace you all with my supreme intellect and shepherd you into the glory land of good card design. My method of doing so? A contest, in which I will critique your every move, giving you valuable feedback on how you can become more like me. (That, or I will just laugh at your terrible designs.)

This contest will have FIVE GLORIOUS ROUNDS. In each round, based on my expert opinion, and my opinion ALONE, the neophytes will be weeded out from the truly experienced designers and eliminated. You can be assured that the scores that your cards receive will not be arbitrary or senseless, but will instead be the result of a COMPLEX FORMULA that I will not be explaining, because it is simply TOO DIFFICULT FOR YOUR TINY BRAIN TO COMPREHEND. Rounds will progress until only one remains at the very end. This one champion will have the GREAT HONOR of being known as the SECOND SMARTEST poster on these forums (second to only my great intellect, of course). A worthy prize indeed!

I have not yet planned out any future rounds, but I'm sure that with my EXTREMELY HIGH IQ devising the criteria for future rounds should be no trouble.

The first round is open to all! At the end of this round, the number of eager participants will be narrowed down to just eight lucky souls. Impress me with your designs! (You'll fail, of course, but you can still try.)

ROUND 1: Back to Basics

Designs on these forums have gotten too complicated! There is beauty in elegance, and the master designer knows that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

CRITERIA: Choose one of the below planes. Create a common creature with no abilities (typically referred to as a vanilla creature) that could be found there. Your design can be from any iteration of that plane that we have seen in an official expansion (ex. Innistrad, pre-Avacyn Restored; Amonkhet after the arrival of Nicol Bolas).

• Ravnica
  • Ixalan
  • Amonkhet
  • Kaladesh
  • Innistrad

Your design will be judged on both flavor (how well it fits in with the chosen setting aesthetically and how well it captures the reader's attention) as well as balance (how well it fit into your chosen environment as a common).

This round is OPEN TO ALL. The top 8 submissions will advance to the next round. The deadline to submit a card is Saturday, January 19th at 11 PM EST.

Only a select few in the universe could possibly hold a conversation with me without getting confused. This is because I discuss things like quantum physics, black holes and time and space themselves.
Jealous? I would assume so. Move along now, unless you have an IQ of over 190 I don't wish to communicate with you on any level. I could take any and all of you in a fight.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Watchwolf Pack-
Creature-Wolf
"These wolves may seem savage, but this city's true predators walk on two legs and dress in gold and silk. At least when a wolf smiles, you can see its fangs."~Temiar, Selesnya wolfkeeper
6/6

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:55 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
That reminds me, I need to see how much it will be to renew my MENSA membership and whether it will be worthwhile to do so.

Stitcher's Marionette
Creature - Zombie
Few if any among those desperate enough to seek out Geralf for a better life realize the cost--that their life is now his.
[1/3]

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:13 am 

No spelling errors, what a STABLE GENIUS!!!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:59 am 

Hyper-Stable Weird
Creature - Weird [C]
While the goblins made their excuses to the nonplussed floor boss, Magos Gimilk prodded at the gelatinous mass with a few cantrips. It would be no small setback to lose the rainwater tanks and lightning harvesting array, but Gimilk was always of the opinion that the only true disaster is one you cannot recreate.
0/4

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Last edited by YingLung on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:03 am 

Forgotten Unworthy |
Creature - Zombie Skeleton | Image
"This mark upon his glory must be expunged, scrubbed clean of all achievements, all possessions, and all flesh. Cast them out to wander the desert only as bandage and bone."
[3/4]

Last edited by Yarium on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am 

Kaladesh

Hollow giant :5:
Creature-construct(C)
" A marvelous sight in the contest, it lied prone in a warehouse during all the revolution, after a consulate soldier touched lightly its foot before turning it on."
7/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:55 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Innistrad

Paxgeist :2::w:
Creature - Spirit
1/5
Finding peace in the afterlife, it is content to live and let live. Well, the latter at least.

Serves a couple of purposes:
1: Denying morbid. They run their guys in, you just bounce them off.
2: Likes being buffed by travel preparations
3: Very useful for the u/w skies limited archetype.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Silly, Most Intellegent Poster of the Forum
Legendary Creature - Human (C)
It's you.
1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:17 pm 

Kaladesh

Scenic Strider - :e::e:
Artifact Creature - Horse
"Let our striders present Kaladesh in a new light, experience the world of tomorrow at your own pace."
1/3

I finally slapped the word 'Taxi' on a card name. Forgot that vehicles is a thing now.

Last edited by Confused on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:31 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: T3KK-TP
Poop Deck Ruffians | :2::r:
Creature - Goblin Pirate

"See, the term comes from the latin word for stern, puppis, indicating it's placement in the rear of the ship. But yes, we do that there too."
-Dex, Goblin Swabbie

3/2

Destiny 2

Last edited by Tekkahedron on Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:59 pm 

Sphinx of Criteria - :2::u::u:
Creature - Sphinx (M)
Flying
As ~ enters the battlefield, an opponent chooses two numbers.
You can't cast spells with converted mana cost equal to a number chosen this way.
6/7

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:55 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Far-Flung Nomad
Creature - Human Nomad
Nobody ever asks a traveler why they're alone on Innistrad. You rarely want to hear the answer.
3/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Innistrad

Primeval One
Creature ─ Vampire (U)
13/13
It shuddered from its ancient slumber and claimed its right to rule.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:08 pm 

Identity: BIG BRAINED
Reading is important, friends!

You wouldn't want to be labeled a LOW IQ LOSER for not following the criteria, would you?

Only a select few in the universe could possibly hold a conversation with me without getting confused. This is because I discuss things like quantum physics, black holes and time and space themselves.
Jealous? I would assume so. Move along now, unless you have an IQ of over 190 I don't wish to communicate with you on any level. I could take any and all of you in a fight.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:52 pm 

Identity: Unqualified
Silly wrote:
Reading is important, friends!

You wouldn't want to be labeled a LOW IQ LOSER for not following the criteria, would you?

try me i was BORN a low iq loser

Like this post