It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warfare Set keywords
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:28 am 

Mechanics for a possible warfare-themed set, based on huge complex board states, armies of small tokens, on-board tricks, and tedious combat math. I'll probably never make the set, it sounds like a disaster to actually play.

Imperial Resupply
Sorcery (C)
Deploy, then deploy again. (Choose one—Put a 1/1 white Soldier creature token onto the battlefield; or put a +1/+1 counter on a creature you control. Then choose again.)

Demolition Militia
Creature—Goblin Soldier (C)
Backup (When this creature enters the battlefield, you may pay . If you do, put a token copy of it onto the battlefield.)
, Sacrifice ~: ~ deals 1 damage to target creature or player.
1/1

Sentry Silencer
Creature—Human Ninja (C)
Whenever ~ attacks, tap target creature.
: ~ sneak-attacks. (As this ability resolves, there is a sneaky combat phase during which only this creature may attack.)
2/2

Mechathopter
Artifact (C)
Drive (Tap another untapped creature you control: This permanent's level increases by 1 until end of turn.)
[ Level 1 ]
~ is a 3/3 Thopter artifact creature.
[ Level 2+ ]
~ is a 3/3 Thopter artifact creature with flying.

Trencher's Pick
Artifact—Equipment (C)
Equipped creature gets +1/+0.
Equip
Outfit (: Change this permanent’s text by replacing all instances of “equipped creature” with “each creature you control.” Outfit only as a sorcery.)

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Warfare Set keywords
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 1:29 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I'm sort of impressed.

Sneak attack is awful.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:07 pm 

Identity: Male
Mechathopter brings up some questions. If it's a thopter, why can't it fly all the time? Did you need to point out that the artifact creature thopter was "mecha"? How is it more mecha than other thopters? I do like the Drive mechanic though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:08 am 

Location: [loh-key-shuh n] n. A place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Coming from an EDH standpoint, with infinite mana you can go infinite damage with Demolition Militia, which is cool... and scary. If this wasn't your intention, adding "if it isn't a token" to backup would stop that.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:54 am 

@mown: Yeah, I'm sure sneak attack causes lots of problems, complexity and otherwise. What in particular don't you like about it?

@TP: The "Mecha" means it isn't self-operating like most thopters, it has to be piloted. At least I'm guessing that's the vernacular of the plane. And it takes two to actually fly; one to flap each wing!

@dj: Infinite guys for infinite mana is the idea here. Think of it similar to Verdeloth the Ancient's and Wolfbriar Elemental's kickers. As for infinite damage, fireball

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:35 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

@mown: Yeah, I'm sure sneak attack causes lots of problems, complexity and otherwise. What in particular don't you like about it?

My inherently faulty assumption that attacking creatures always have Vigilance.
Although it's still pretty dumb if they do have Vigilance.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:35 am 

True. I was thinking about putting a tap into the cost, but I couldn't think of how to word it.

: Declare ~ as a sneak-attacker. (After this step or phase, there is a combat phase during which sneak-attackers may be blocked.)

That's way worse intuitively though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:12 pm 

Sneak Attack (After this phase, there is an additional combat phase in which only creatures who have sneak attacked may attack. Sneak attack only as a sorcery.)

Not great, but a little more intuitive. I think for it to work it needs a more word which can be used to describe itself. Think cycle. "When you cycle.... Whenever a player cycles...." Then you can refer to the creatures that sneak attacked, without it sounding weird. Or is that just me. Cause I think sneak attacked sounds odd.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 12:58 pm 

I chose sneak-attack because it's already part of the fantasy game vocabulary, borrowed from D&D like trample, regeneration, haste, etc. I tried other words like infiltrate, sortie, opportunist, but to me they don't fully capture the flavour of catching your opponent flat-footed, like a sneak-attacking rogue.

Anyway this might be more the wording I want.

Black Bay Cutthroat
Creature—Human Pirate (R)
Whenever ~ deals sneaky combat damage to a player, destroy target creature that player controls.
Sneak-attack (: As this ability resolves, there is a sneaky combat phase during which only this creature may attack. Sneak-attack only once each turn.)
3/1

You can drive animals too.

Catapult Hauler
Creature—Elephant (U)
Drive (Tap another untapped creature you control: This creature's level increases by 1 until end of turn.)
0/5
[ Level 1-2 ]
3/5
[ Level 3+ ]
: Destroy target attacking or blocking creature.
3/5

Maybe most of these outfit equipments will end up colour-activated. Big team-boosters usually aren't found out of colour.

Reconasseur's Flightsuit
Artifact—Equipment (U)
Equipped creature has flying.
: Equipped creature gains hexproof until end of turn.
Equip
Outfit (: Change this permanent’s text by replacing all instances of “equipped creature” with “each creature you control.” Outfit only as a sorcery.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:50 pm 

The issue with that sneak attack wording is that its not very clear. Can only one creature sneak attack each turn, or can each creature sneak attack once a turn. Also, if multiples can sneak attack, it will take longer to do multiple sneak combat phases for each one. The other issue is creatures you control can't attack on another players turn. the ability seems to imply that this creature could do so, but in reality, it would just create a combat phase where no creatures could attack.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:23 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Sneak Attack (: As this ability resolves, there is a sneaky combat phase during which only this creature may attack. Activate this ability only as a sorcery and only once each turn.)

I do think that "Sneak attack only" is acceptable terminology, but I also found it to be unnecessary unclear the first time I read it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:13 pm 

"Sneak attack only..." came from "Level up only as a sorcery." Maybe I will have to change the name.

The point of the ability is to use it at instant speed. So the enemy has to keep its guard up. Creatures already attack at sorcery speed. This ability creates an exception to the normal rule: During the sneaky combat phase "only this creature may attack" which includes that the creature may attack. I guess there are ambiguities to iron out with this one. And probably comp rules to go into. Is it worth it?

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:54 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

So you want it to happen on other turns as well?
I don't think there's anything stopping you from just jamming that into the comprehensive rules under sneak attack combat phases, I think the description of the ability is intuitive enough.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:58 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Sneak Attack – Exile this creature. Return it to the battlefield tapped and attacking at the beginning of the next combat phase. It can't be blocked the turn it enters the battlefield.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:06 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Parad, sneak attack isn't supposed to be an unblockable attack, it's supposed to be an attack that is effective when the opponent leaves himself open.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 3:55 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Mown wrote:
Parad, sneak attack isn't supposed to be an unblockable attack, it's supposed to be an attack that is effective when the opponent leaves himself open.

Oh, I get it. Sorry, I guess I was just riffing off the name. I guess I didn't fully understand what the mechanic accomplished.

In that case, though, I don't see why you wouldn't just bring back Ninjutsu. It's Wizard's take on the problem and it's perfectly flavored for ninjas; might as well use what they give you.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 4:49 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Don't listen to him. Your keyword is beautiful. 10/10, would name my firstborn after.

Ninjutsu isn't someone leaving himself open. It's "I guess I don't have enough blockers", or more commonly, "I can't block things with evasion."
Not counting the heavy ninja connotation.

I'm somewhat amused at my mood swings regarding this keyword, looking back at my first post.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:16 pm 

Thank you Mown, and I'm glad my keyword is drudging up some emotions and controversy among the hypothetical playerbase. I figured sneak attack would be the one to do it. Although I thought playing out a whole combat phase with things sitting below it on the stack would have been more of a problem.

Ninjas are alright, but limited in scope/flavour/colour ID in a way generic sneak attack isn't.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 2:58 pm 

Could probably change Ninjitsu's name to Covert and things would be ok.

Sneak attack [cost] (cost: After this phase, there is an additional combat phase followed by an additional main phase. Only ~ can attack during that combat phase. Sneak attack with ~ only once each turn, and sneak attack only as a sorcery) seems... ok?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:12 pm 

I don't care for Drive. Why should more drivers increase the power of the vehicle? Why would drivers get out at the end of the turn? Why is it level up just for a turn? Does it make sense that an activated vehicle drive another vehicle?

Perhaps change to "War Machine" or "Seige Engine", and perhaps not turn the artifact into a creature.

EX:
Mechathopter
Artifact (C)
Seige Engine - , tap any number of creatures you control: If you tapped one creature this way, put a 3/3 Bird artifact creature token onto the battlefield. Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next end step. If you tapped more than one creature this way, that token gains flying until end of turn.

Like this post