It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: [SET] Into the Void
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:54 pm 
Desperately Wants A Custom Title

Identity: Man
Welcome to Chalmolv
Into the Void

Into the Void takes place on a plane called Chalmolv. Chalmolv is a slowly deteriorating plane where things simply cease. It started once a large void was used to contain a powerful monster known as Hollow-Heart. Its power is such that it is slowly absorbing the essence of the plane, as well as preventing Hollow-Heart from escaping.

There are two main factions, Ghakim and Shosune. Ghakim are looking to extend their lives, and find a way to extend their own existence. Shosune are hoping to maintain the natural order of life in order to extend the planes existence. Both are noble goals, but their methods of obatining them are less so.

Originally bringing in Phasing, Planar, Last strike, colorless permanents and Runes (enchantments), I took out last strike :p. Seeing as this is combined with the second set I added in Voidtouch (but changed how it works), Respawn and Vengeful. Here's where they fit in with the set:

Phasing: Any color. This isn't an "ability", it just represents the instability of certain things as it applies to the plane. Tends to be on noncreature permanents.

Planar: Blue and Black. Planar reads, "You may cast this card from exile." This was the main Ghakim ability. It does bleed to other creatures, but I'll put a hold on that until later sets, if I finally finish this one.

Respawn: Green. Respawn reads, "You may cast this from your graveyard if this was the last card put in it." This is the main neutral ability (neither Ghakim not Shosune).

Vengeful: Red and White. Vengeful reads, "Vengeful [number]. When this creature dies, it deals [number] damage to target creature or player." This is the main Shosune ability.

Voidtouch: Voidtouch was originally an exiletouch. That , I feel, is WAY to strong and have simply made those creatures phase out. It might not make a difference in a duel, but in multiplayer, it can be strategic. I might rename this 'Phasor' or the like.

Runes: Enchantment subtype.

Now, voidtouch didn't originally come into effect until the second set, which I REALLY like because here's how the story played out.

Into the Void (ITV): Ghakim were using the abilities of Hollow-Heart and his monsters (the colorless permanents bit) to find a way to blink into existence should they fade out of it. They did this in trade for freeing Hollow-Heart. Shosune decided to stop them, before Hollow-Heart was freed.
Battling Time (BTT): Once Hollow-Heart was freed, he releases his monsters and THEY have the voidtouch ability. I'm going to keep to that as best as possible.
Divine Intervention (DVI): The third set was banishing Hollow-Heart again, but in a way where the plane was stabilized.

Without further ado, I'll start setting up for my cards...

My Cube | My Designs | My Blog | My Art
Creator of Max and Mill! Current strip: 1.3.1
Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Sun May 11, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: [SET] Into the Void
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:54 pm 

NOTE: This is all as is minus Last Strike. So far, if something has last strike, I modify it to be slow in some way.
Be prepared to shudder and laugh etc. I'm just doing this as a growing exercise for me at my expense :p
This set was all over the place.

Into the Void: 000

Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Sun May 11, 2014 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:55 pm 

Mechanics

(As being reintroduced)

Phasing: At the beginning of your turn, before you untap, simultaneously permanents you control with phasing phase out and phased out permanents you control phase in. Phased out things cease to exist, aka they aren't on the battlefield BUT phasing doesn't trigger ETB or LTB abilities (unless it specifically mentions phasing in/out).

Voidtouch: Whenever this creature deals combat damage to a creature, phase out that creature. (Compare to deathtouch)

Silver Soraka Main

Last edited by altimis on Fri May 23, 2014 3:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:38 pm 

Okay, so going through this set, is just laughable. It is ALL over the place.
I just posted the white cards, and figured I'd stop to let you all know that this set was originally a mashup of ideas.

To be fair, this was my first project when I first joined the old WOTC forums. And I don't mean my first set project. I mean, the very first posts I ever posted. :) gosh it's like get to know altimis day. While we're at it, I ph-ing love phasing.

Feel free to poke constructive fun at it. A lot of these cards were just dreadful.

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:49 pm 

In hindsight, I'm gonna put this on hold.

I just can't wrap my head around hardly any of this. There are a few gems an what not, but I'm gonna format a set list, get a more definitive plan other than just a story, and see if I can't make this a pleasant experience for me.

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:50 am 

I think this has potential. How about posting an example of each mechanic, instead of all the cards?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:29 am 

I'll try... as I was going through only the white cards my brain kinda melted lol (to be fair I was also going on 24 horus no sleep, so that didn't help). I'll take a new look at it now and see what props up.

Phasing

Respawn

Voidtouch

Planar

Vengeful

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 6:46 am 

Phasing: This becomes the Ghakim ability. They have gained the ability to will themselves back into existance from nothingness, thanks to their supporting Hollow-Heart.

Vengeful: This remains the Shosune ability, but I am changing it to provide some more interaction and creativity, and to slightly increase the design space. It now reads:
Vengeful [number] (Whenever one or more other creatures you control die, this deals [number] damage to target creature or player.)

I am dropping Respawn (respawn might be reworked) and Planar; Voidtouch is still in the running, for now.

I am wording vengeful so that it's more retaliatory, but also manageable in the face of boardwipes. Here's an example of a spell that could work with it...

Sacrificial Ascension --
Sorcery (U)

As an additional cost to cast Sacrificial Ascension, sacrifice a creature.
Sacrifice a creature, you gain 7 life.

==xx==

It will need a bit of tweaking, but the concept is, you lose two creatures, at two different times, thus you trigger vengeful twice, as compared to a boardwipe, where they all die simultaneously and trigger it once. Sacrifice will be a big theme for Shosune. While self-preservation will be a big theme for Ghakim.

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:41 am 

What exactly is Voidtouch? I can't seem to find a description of it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Voidtouch (Creatures dealt damage by this creature are phased out.) as far as I understood it.
Which doesn't really do a whole lot, other than hosing vigilance.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm 

sorry, exiletouch was teh description. Like deathtouch for exile.

Voidtouch (Any creature dealt damage by this creature is exiled.)

Silver Soraka Main

Like this post