It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:28 pm 

BLOODLINE COMMON:
BC02
Barony Knight |
Creature - Vampie Knight {C}
Bloodline (When Barony Knight enters the battlefield, you may exile a card from your graveyard as its ancestor.)
As long as Barony Knight's ancestor is white, it has +0/+1 and lifelink.
As long as Barony Knight's ancestor is red, it has +1/+0 and intimidate.
2/1

LINEAGE COMMON:
WC01
Royal Caretaker |
Creature - Human Noble {C}
Lineage (Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may exile Royal Caretaker from your graveyard as its ancestor.)
Royal Caretaker, or a creature with Royal Caretaker as its ancestor, has "Whenever another creature enters the battlefield, gain 1 life."
1/1

WAR CRY COMMON:
RC03
Swashbuckling Slaptail |
Creature - Viashino Pirate {C}
War Cry - Whenever Swashbuckling Slaptail attacks, choose one - target creature can't block this turn; or, at least one creature must block this turn if able.
2/2

THEFTCAST COMMON:
GC04
Werewolf of the Full Moon |
Creature - Werewolf {C}
Theftcast (You may cast Moon Cursed Werewolf for if a source you control dealt damage to a player this turn.)
6/4

SWAPSTEP COMMON:
UC02
Guild Pirate |
Creature - Human Pirate {C}
Swapstep (When Guild Pirate becomes blocked, you may exchange all creatures blocking it for all creatures blocking another attacking creature you control. Then, if no creatures are blocking Guild Pirate, it becomes unblocked.)
Whenever Guild Pirate deals combat damage to a player, draw a card, then discard a card.
2/2

(ancestor mechanic inspired by Maraxus of Keld; viewtopic.php?t=2160 )

EDIT: Updated Swapstep to make it a triggered ability to better define order of actions, and how the often action is performed. Also cleared up wording to specify another attacking creature.

Last edited by Yarium on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:40 pm 

the wording of bloodline is unclear on what happens if the card has 2 or more ancestors.(also can commons only grant power and toughness OR an ability if it counts each ancestor? It's pretty complicated otherwise.)
It being a knight fits pretty well flavorwise.

Lineage is interesting, maybe it needs a mana cost to "enchant" things?

If war cry and swapstep both grant evasion, I have a bit of hard time seeing bloodline and lineage mattering that much.

theft is the spell mechanic I guess?, feels a bit weird on instants at common, but it makes sense.

How do multiple instance of swapstep interact?Maybe you should only be able to target an attacking creature you control? It plays pretty weirdly with something like fog bank otherwise.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:58 pm 

Bloodline sets up any card as an ancestor, and then the abilities on the card check any ancestors. So long as at least 1 ancestor is white, it'll have +0/+1 and lifelink, and so long as at least 1 ancestor is red, it'll have +1/+0 and intimidate. Though the set won't have any multicoloured cards at Common or Uncommon (maybe just a few at Rare & Mythic), being able to get both off a single ancestor would be difficult. That's where Lineage is important. If you risked playing a 3-colour deck, and play the Barony Knight while you have Royal Caretaker and Swashbuckling Slaptail in your graveyard, you could use Bloodline to get a Red ancestor, and Lineage to get a white ancestor. You would now have a 3/2 Vampire Knight with intimidate, lifelink, and "whenever another creature enters the battlefield, gain 1 life."

Thanks for Lineage - it's really the important part of the set, as Lineage and Bloodline need each other to work well. Lineage works almost as a lesser "Undying" or "Persist" in that it'll give its ability to another creature. If that creature also dies, the card with Lineage remains exiled. Like Undying, Persist, and even Bestow, it gives a second life to any ability you put it with - which should have interesting applications. But since the creature has to be in your graveyard to work, I don't want to use a mana cost to make it work. I do foresee there being a deck where you can dump a lot of Lineage cards into your graveyard, then cast a single creature for cheap, but who take on a huge Lineage.

Theftcast is a spell mechanic. Inspired by Prowl from Morningtide, but removes the tribal restrictions. However, unlike Prowl, Theftcast won't give a bonus for paying the Theftcast cost. I'm looking for a better name though, as I'm not happy with it.

Swapstep doesn't "trigger" under the current wording, but I think you're right in that it should. That'll clear things up. Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:01 pm 

Know what? I really don't like Swapstep. I'm going to try to dream up something else.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:13 pm 

This is proving difficult.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:39 am 

I have to say, lineage and bloodline feel very much like mechanics a block could be built around. I'd like to see something like a vampire that comes back from being an ancestor. Might be cool.

War cry seems like it doesn't really need to be keyworded. If there are effects that care about war cry, it would be just as easy to count attacking or tapped creatures.

Theftcast is a solid mechanic, especially with something like swapstep in the set. Alternative names:
Breakthrough
Bloodcast
Breach
Dynamic Entry
Reinforcement

As for swapstep, I kinda like it, but it does seem to be a weaker form of evasion. You might change the trigger to at the end of the declare blockers step, so that an unblocked pirate could swap for a blocked ally and get them through. Maybe "at the end of the declare blockers step, you may exchange the creatures blocking this creature, if any, with the creatures blocking another creature you control, if any. If a creature has no creatures blocking it, it is considered unblocked."

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:57 am 

I'll be starting a new Y-Design set today on Kings of Kandor, but here's the important part; the set is based on creature teamwork. It's billed as a group of heroes (most commonly 3 heroes) that achieve something. Bloodline and Lineage represent working together across generations, and Swapstep works really well off having even a single unblocked attacker. However, I think the exiling mechanics and ancestry is going to eat up a lot of complexity, and Swapstep makes combat VERY difficult. As such, I don't think this is the right set for it - which is why I plan to cut it.

Bonus though! This opens up Theftcast being placed into the colour that makes most sense - Blue! Additionally, I came up with a MUCH better name!

"Piracy"

Here's a new card:

Guild Pirate |
Creature - Human Pirate {C}
Piracy (You may cast Guild Pirate for if a source you control dealt damage to a player this turn.)
When you cast Guild Pirate, draw a card.
2/2

Like this post