It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
 Post subject: Re: The Card Clinic
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:32 am 
YMtC Champ '06
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: Ø
Trap Soul
Enchantment (U)
When Trap Soul enters the battlefield, put a repository counter on target creature. Then, exile target creature until there are no repository counters on the battlefield.
Your brother's soul is trapped within the body of another.

I need help with the wording. I want the creature to still come back if Trap Soul dies before the creature does.

I agree with Johnny, an Aura works better:

Trap Soul
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Trap Soul enters the battlefield, exile target creature until enchanted creature leaves the battlefield.

I don't know if this still works if Trap Soul is disenchanted, though. I assume not.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:17 pm 

ty wrote:
I agree with Johnny, an Aura works better:

Trap Soul
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When Trap Soul enters the battlefield, exile target creature until enchanted creature leaves the battlefield.

I don't know if this still works if Trap Soul is disenchanted, though. I assume not.
If your Trap Soul is disenchanted, the effect doesn't care, so the creature stays exiled at that moment. There's then two possibilities for how the effect continues, and I'm not sure which one the rules currently support. One is that the effect doesn't care or track anything until the enchanted creature leaves, and it is able to recognize that through Last Known Information and so the effect doesn't notice at all if Trap Soul leaves. The other is that the phrase "enchanted creature" instantly becomes meaningless (because the creature is not enchanted anymore) and so the exiled creature is gone forever. I am very sure, though, that lots of players will think disenchanting it is meaningful and so the creature comes back then, even though that's the only outcome I'm sure is impossible.

The cleanest Aura implementation is
Quote:
Trap Soul
Enchantment — Aura (U)
Enchant creature
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature until ~ leaves the battlefield.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:57 pm 

Aran, The Faithful
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Exalted
Whenever a creature you control attacks alone, for each opponent other than defending player, you may put a token that's a copy of that creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking that player or a planeswalker he or she controls. Exile the tokens at the end of combat.
2/3

How can I change the second ability so that: A) It works with legendaries and doesn’t just nonbo; and B) works with Exalted and cards like Rafiq to also gove those bonuses to the new copies?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:50 pm 

When you copy a card, you never copy any external bonuses or abilities that have been applied to the card. That's just how copying work in Magic. It's possible to write out words that will do what you want there, but I'm assuming you don't want an ability that would be an eight-line paragraph in 3-point type saying a lot of very strange-looking things.

For the other thing, you can easily just borrow the last clause of Jace, Cunning Castaway: "except they're not legendary".

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:40 am 

Hydragenesis -
Enchantment | R
Hydras you control enter the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on them, where X is the number of Hydras you control.
When Hydragenesis enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 green Hydra creature token three times.

Unsure if these tokens enter the battlefield and immediate die before the counters are added / there are any Hydras on the battlefield.
The hope is to create a 1/1 Hydra, 2/2 Hydra, and 3/3 Hydra (having them count themselves when they enter the battlefield).

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:39 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

I think it probably works, but it is a little unclear. I'd want to make it as explicit as possible:

Hydra creatures you control enter the battlefield with an additional X +1/+1 counters on them, where X is 1 plus the number of other Hydra creatures you control.

The second ability could be clearer as well:

When Hydragenesis enters the battlefield, create a 0/0 green Hydra creature token. Then repeat this process twice.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 pm 

Ethereal (This creature cannot be blocked unless one of the blockers is an artifact creature.)

I want it to stack so that a creature with ethereal twice can only be blocked if two or more of the blockers are artifact creatures.

I want it to be somewhat apparent in that it stacks without being a text-box hog.

As it is reminder text, it can be technically sloppy as long as it is grokkable.

Thanks!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:09 pm 

Rules text
Ethereal: A creature with one or more instances of Ethereal can't be blocked, unless its blocking creatures include a number of artifact creatures equal to the number of instances of Ethereal the creature has.

Reminder text
Ethereal (A creature with Ethereal can't be blocked, unless it's blockers include an artifact creature for each instance of Ethereal this creature has.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:24 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: she/her/hers
If I populate a token created via myriad, will the copy stick around post-combat?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:29 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Eph wrote:
If I populate a token created via myriad, will the copy stick around post-combat?

That's more of a question for Rules Central, but yes, the copy will stick around. Myriad only exiles the tokens it created, and copies of those tokens are separate objects not subject to that effect.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm 

Vow of Martyrs -
Enchantment | R
Activated abilities of creatures can't be activated unless their controller sacrifices them.
"Else above self." - Motto of the Purecrestian Few

The wording of this card is proving to be very difficult. I've tried a few things, but they either don't have the functionality that I want or read weirdly.

• The first option: Brutal Suppression. I tried: "Activated abilities of creatures cost an additional “Sacrifice this creature” to activate." It has weird interactions with creatures that already have "sacrifice this creature" in the cost. You can't sacrifice the creature twice as part of the cost, where there are no limitations with sacrificing multiple lands/mountains...
  • The second option: Cursed Totem. The above wording closely mirrors this example, but there are some weird plural/singular tense issues with this example that I can't solve. The singular alternate: "Activated abilities of each creature can't be activated unless that creature's controller sacrifices it."
  • The third option, which I like the least: I could make this a triggered ability rather than an activation cost... this would allow you to stack activations as well as respond to activations with other spells/abilities...

How's this risky option: "If a player would activate a creature's ability, that player must also sacrifice that creature in addition to paying its other activation costs."

Thanks in advance for the help on this.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36