It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:23 pm 

Thoughts on B/X draft archetypes

:w::b:: Effect life totals directly. Life gain/life loss. Strong control vibe since white is about the quarantine and authoritarian power grabs while black also likes power grabs and kills a lot.
:u::b:: Blue-black limited archetypes almost always suck. Let's fix that and rather than doing the inevitable mill or spells-in-the-graveyard, have this be the evasion tempo/aggro pairing rather than the typical blue-white RAF, going with whatever combo (Skulk, meanace, flying, etc.) of evasion and our listing of "saboteur" abilities, fitting blue for aggressive research and black for plague-spreading
:b::r:: Does what it always does, removal.dec
:b::g:: Tokens/Morbid. Germs in my interpretation. Wants to generate and sac or otherwise have die a lot of ultra cheap creatures for loads of "creature dies" triggers. Reminds me -- did we seriously never float Morbid as a returning ability word?

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:05 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

BelangiaJo wrote:
Thoughts on my designs/archetypes above?

Do we plan to move to other color philosophies? Are decisions being made?

This has been a fun exercise, Rush!

Long work week without much free time. My weekend starts tomorrow, so review more then. Probably moving to white next.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:10 pm 

Temjen wrote:
I know this thread is only for Black, but I think we should probably iron out what the main "disease" mechanic is, because it'll probably play a pretty big part in the set as a whole. I'm certainly biased, but I still like the idea behind my interpretation (plagued creatures causing life loss and spreading it via combat damage) the best.

@BelangiaJo: I like putting sacrificial stuff into (instead of the much more common ), especially if there are plagued creatures running about. Getting rid of some diseased things that are hurting you/to protect the rest has an interesting "good of the many over the few" vibe. Also, I think Anguish is very neat combined with plagued things - life becomes a much more valuable resource if your creatures are also potentially hurting you every turn, so the decision on mana vs life becomes a little more divisive. What about moving it into , though? It could be a good suicide aggro mechanic, plus we get to call the archetype "plaggro" which is very appealing to me, personally. I'm less enthusiastic about face-down stuff, though, unless we're specifically aiming for a "zombie virus" feel?

feels like the color that gives opponents the disease, just to see how it works. They like the data, even if it comes through morally dubious means. "Tap and plague target creature"? Stalling effects to let the opponent just die to it? Gosh that sounds a little sadistic, actually. Plague their dudes and then play Fog Banks and just... wait.

I like the concept of plagued. I'd be happy with it or Drones. Are there any concerns on plagued functioning like a drawback mechanic?

WB: Purposely wanted to steer this into WB instead of RB for that reason.
BR vs. UB for Anguish. This was an oversight on my part. I think it makes more sense in BR too.

That leaves UB and BG a little bit up in the air. I do like the research/development angle of UB.
BG should be more connected to the cycle of life and death. Not sure what this would look like.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:02 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

@BelangiaJo: In regards to your archetypes—
  • Self-sacrifice is a classic BW theme that fits into a pandemic setting well-enough. I could see this working in a lot of ways that aren't strictly sacrificing (a white creature that consumes -1/-1 counters, for example).
  • Colorless Phyrexian mana is an idea I've considered for a long, long time. I think it has uses in a pandemic setting, though I'm not sure that blue is the best place for it. (Though BU is always a tough nugget to crack and this is probably as fine a bleed as any.)
  • Pure chaos doesn't sound fun to me, but only because I'm having a difficult time understanding how it would play out. Given how random Magic already is (especially limited), extra chaos would need a cool niche to really sell, which seems difficult to do at common. Warp World designs are interesting; Minotaur Explorer, less so.
  • Drones is an idea I obviously like. I think the general face-down thing can be the virus at large, but a persist-like ability utilizing it could be centered in BG.

@Temjen: I think you're right. I'm gonna open up a thread to discuss/vote on the central plague/viral mechanic. We have enough ideas floating around here to move forward with that.

@Tevish Szat: In regards to your archetypes—
  • Life-drain is classic for a reason. How we utilize it is the question. Most effective life-drain strategies I can recall focus on small increments while stalling out the board, though there's also the Ajani's Pridemate focus.
  • I think the current BU Rogue archetype in Zendikar Rising feels like this; it just happens to be that their saboteur focus is milling. :doh: I'm not sure what role exactly this plays in the pandemic. or rather, every role I think of feels more RU.
  • RB might depend a lot on what we decide the pandemic to actually be. If, force instance, it's to plague creatures by making them damage their controllers, RB might be much more about increasing that pain.
  • I definitely want to look at mass-germing. It has promise.

Like this post