All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:29 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Favored Adventurer
Creature — Human Warrior
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a Fortune token. (Fortune tokens are enchantments with "Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library, sacrifice this enchantment: Draw a card.")
3/1

Brightblaze Brawler
Creature — Elemental Warrior Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, create a Fortune token. (Fortune tokens are enchantments with "Put a card from your hand on the bottom of your library, sacrifice this enchantment: Draw a card.")
~ gets +1/+0 for each card you have drawn this turn.
0/1

Absolution Sphinx
Creature — Sphinx
Flying
Whenever ~ attacks, create a Fortune token.
Discard a card with converted mana cost X: Counter target spell with converted mana cost X.
3/5

this was way wordier than I anticipated
could go with rummaging but I feel like tucking makes it justified in white, fight me
originally had the enchantments be every color because colorless enchantments are ew, but ultimately I don't think it's desirable, even disregarding the word count

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:37 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I like this. feels like a decent smoothing mechanic. I agree that tucking feels better than discarding here, to help focus on filtering instead of just turning into more fodder for graveyard shenanigans. I do wish there was a flavor that made this make more sense as an artifact, since that's the norm for these sorts of effects and colorless enchantments are yikes, but I can't think of one.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:36 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

I could make them a specific color (Green?), but then I'd be compelled to complete the cycle somehow. I'd prefer them to be enchantments though, mostly for set considerations (look at mown pretending like he's going to finish a set), but I also have an enchantment bias.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:07 pm 

The reminder text for the Fortune token could be dynamic based on the color of the card that created it. White cards make white Fortunes, blue make blue Fortunes, and red make red Fortunes. I think there are examples of this on existing Magic cards, but none come to mind...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:59 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
As someone who tried to make Starstill work (and i will get back to it soon, sorry i've been sitting the past month,) i can direly attest to this game's need of any enchantment utility tokens. This would be great for a different-flavored Theros.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:29 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

BelangiaJo wrote:
The reminder text for the Fortune token could be dynamic based on the color of the card that created it. White cards make white Fortunes, blue make blue Fortunes, and red make red Fortunes. I think there are examples of this on existing Magic cards, but none come to mind...

That sounds like it would lead to a lot of annoying "just in case" tracking for something that is marginally relevant gameplay-wise.
As someone who tried to make Starstill work (and i will get back to it soon, sorry i've been sitting the past month,) i can direly attest to this game's need of any enchantment utility tokens. This would be great for a different-flavored Theros.

I think that for a set like Starstill where you have Mastery as a mechanic, you would ideally not provide the players with incidental artifacts or enchantments, maybe even going so far as to instead focus on Sagas and expendable Artifacts, in order to make it a bigger deckbuilding and gameplay commitment. Depends on how easy you make it for your opponent to interact with though, I suppose.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:15 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male

I can get behind this notion. If you want them to be artifact though, you could just make "Fortunes" and have the cards depict various ways people have had their fortunes read- tea leaves, tarot cards, bundles of sticks, probably avoid depicting entrails...
"Destiny" or "Insight" work for alternative enchantment names.

Mown wrote:

I think that for a set like Starstill where you have Mastery as a mechanic, you would ideally not provide the players with incidental artifacts or enchantments, maybe even going so far as to instead focus on Sagas and expendable Artifacts, in order to make it a bigger deckbuilding and gameplay commitment. Depends on how easy you make it for your opponent to interact with though, I suppose.

I figured incidental enchantments could be in one color combo, but not necessarily the one that makes best use of the Mastery mechanic.
That said, as a community-wide project it's hard to set general rules like that.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post