It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rend Viscera
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:09 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Rend Viscera
Instant
You may pay 2 life to cast Rend Viscera instead of paying its manacost. If you do, you cannot cast spells that share a name with it until end of turn.
Rend Viscera deals 2 damage to any target.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Rend Viscera
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:56 pm 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Gut Shot has, at many times, been a playable card in modern. This card is completely busted.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:26 pm 

yeah but you can play two gutshots in one turn

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:36 pm 

Cato wrote:
Gut Shot has, at many times, been a playable card in modern. This card is completely busted.

Ok no, Gut Shot has never been viable in formats with Lightning Bolt and other reliable one mana burn as an option; hell I remember a time when Gut Shot was being tested as tech against Delver of Secrets, and my first reaction was 'how often will this actually happen?'

A free shock may be broken by itself, but aside from power level and synergy of individual cards (for example, Birthing Pod, Gitaxian Probe, Surgical Extraction, Mental Misstep, Vault Skirge), what makes free spells seem powerful is that you can cast as many as you want per turn as long as you could normally cast them, and thus they are too swingy to be reliable but still decent. At best Gut Shot is two free Forked Bolts for 8 life; Noxious Revival is somewhat redundant, etc.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:40 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
gut shot was played in sideboards during the top 8 of eldrazi winter you know
mono red prowess sometimes played some maindeck, at least before the looting ban
dealing 2 instead of 1 is a pretty massive jump

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:02 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Noble Hierarch, Kataki, War's Wage, Inkmoth Nexus. Killing any of these cards for free is game-swinging in the right matchup. Gut shot has absolutely been played in modern.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:33 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
A free shock may be broken by itself, but aside from power level and synergy of individual cards (for example, Birthing Pod, Gitaxian Probe, Surgical Extraction, Mental Misstep, Vault Skirge), what makes free spells seem powerful is that you can cast as many as you want per turn as long as you could normally cast them, and thus they are too swingy to be reliable but still decent. At best Gut Shot is two free Forked Bolts for 8 life; Noxious Revival is somewhat redundant, etc.

people don't run gut shot for the dream of being able to drop 4 cards to deal 4 damage on turn 1. what makes gut shot powerful is a) you don't have to keep mana up to answer 1-toughness problems, and b) every color can do it.

besides, if being able to play two gut shots in one turn (which is the highest plausible number you could have in hand at the same time) is the problem, then it's worth mentioning that this card is two gut shots in one turn on its own, but for less life and fewer cards.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:36 am 

Listening to this debate I thought of another option

Reckless Strike
:r:
Instant
You may pay 2 life to cast Reckless Strike instead of paying its mana cost. If you do, the next spell you cast this game costs an additional :r: to cast.
Reckless Strike deals 2 damage to any target.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:56 am 

If it was a matter of simply comparing cost to damage, then yeah, Gut Shot would be indeed broken. But it isnt that simple, even for burn, because it also 1 damage per card, which means drawing one instead of a bolt variant will mean the Burn player is short 2 damage; more if multiples are drawn.

Note: Lotus variants and Mox variants are still powerful because mana can be used to cast more undividually powerful spells.

As far as being used as removal goes, every color other than blue and green have viable answers for 1 CMC; Path to Exile, Fatal Push, and Lightning Bolt, and it is not worth sacrificing versatility just to save on one mana per card.

However I do like Tevish's design.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:08 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
As far as being used as removal goes, every color other than blue and green have viable answers for 1 CMC; Path to Exile, Fatal Push, and Lightning Bolt, and it is not worth sacrificing versatility just to save on one mana per card.

I haven't paid attention to the Modern metagame in a long time so I can't speak to whether it is used, but broadly speaking, the difference between 1 mana removal and free removal is massive on early turns in fast formats. using one mana to kill their one-drop doesn't generate any tempo, whereas using no mana and then playing a 1-drop of your own does. gut shot on an early dork puts you in the driver's seat in a way Path, Push, and Bolt can't do.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post