It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nu Thalakos
PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:56 am 

It's long been known that all living entities on Rath were stolen from other planes. The Slivers and the Kor have shown up after, sometimes repeatedly and in the case of the Kor with new mechanical identities. The Shadow races, despite being given unique racial types, have not. This is my experiment to create a small "tribe" (both members and support cards) of the Thalakos not afflicted by their shadowy between-ness, with a new identity that speaks at least somewhat to the kind of tricky, tactical vibe they had in the Shadow.

Thalakos Wanderer
:2::u:
Creature - Thalakos Scout
Hexproof
If Thakalos Wanderer is revealed from your hand or library, you may pay :u:. If you do, put it onto the battlefield. (You may not reveal a card from your hand unless instructed to do so)
1/2

This is kind of the core idea of these Thalakos: they deal with "revealing" as their core concept and mechanic

Thalakos Prophet
:1::u:
Creature - Thalakos Wizard
:t:: Reveal the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order.
Forecast -- :u:, Reveal Thalakos Prophet from your hand: Reveal the top three cards of your library, then put them back in any order. (Activate this ability only during your upkeep and only once each turn.)
2/1

I'm reusing the Forecast mechanic because it seems to fit precisely.

Incantations of the Thalakos
:u:
Sorcery
Reveal the top four cards of your library. You may put a Thalakos from among them into your hand. Then put the rest back in any order.
Add :u:. Spend this mana only to cast Thalakos spells or activate the abilities of Thalakos

Thalakos Mistcreeper
:1::u::u:
Creature - Thalakos Rogue
Whenever one or more cards you own are revealed from your hand or library, Thalakos Mistcreeper gets +1/+1 and can't be blocked until end of turn.
2/2

Misty Ruins
Land
Misty Ruins enters the battlefield tapped unless you pay :u:
:t:: Reveal the top card of your library. If it is blue, add :u:. Otherwise, add :c:. You may put that card on the bottom of your library.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Nu Thalakos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:48 pm 

I like the idea. :)
I once made a set that dealt with cards revealed in your hand and library (though the cards were constantly revealed). I think there's a lot of unexplored potential in this kind of mechanics.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:57 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
This feels really "game-y" and I'm not sure I like it, and not only because I'm very confused about how Mistcreeper works with Telepathy or Future Sight. I think wotc has been making a conscious choice to move towards "look at the top X" effects instead of "reveal the top X" ones, I assume because it doesn't bog down the game by opening it up for your opponent to track them. Revealing cards is generally something you do in the game in order to establish an agreement about the authenticity of the game state, and while building an identity around it helps establish them as somewhat alien, it also ties mechanical relevance into an aspect of the game that I don't think benefits from having it.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:39 pm 

Letting your opponent see all of your cards doesn't feel "Tricky and Tactical" to me, it feels more like "Honorable" or "Overconfident".

Like this post