It is currently Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
:teach: What is heresy?

Arianism, or the "sect of Arius", was declared heresy at the Ecumenical First Council of Nicaea. The First Council had been convened by the Augustus Constantine in 325 A.D., or three hundred twenty five years Anno Domini. Arius's heresy, paraphrased, was this: Jesus Christ, born of God, was subordinate thereby to Godliness, and was undeserving of his place in the Holy Trinity. The bishops gathered at Nicaea sentenced Arius and two of his cohort to exile in Illyricum, or present day Dalmatia in Croatia.

How did Arius meet his end? A contemporary (Socrates Scholastius) described it thusly:

It was then Saturday, and Arius was expecting to assemble with the church on the day following: but divine retribution overtook his daring criminalities... he paraded proudly through the midst of the city, attracting the notice of all the people. As he approached the place called Constantine's Forum, where the column of porphyry is erected, a terror arising from the remorse of conscience seized Arius, and with the terror a violent relaxation of the bowels: he therefore enquired whether there was a convenient place near, and being directed to the back of Constantine's Forum, he hastened thither. Soon after a faintness came over him, and together with the evacuations his bowels protruded, followed by a copious hemorrhage, and the descent of the smaller intestines: moreover portions of his spleen and liver were brought off in the effusion of blood, so that he almost immediately died. The scene of this catastrophe still is shown at Constantinople, as I have said, behind the shambles in the colonnade: and by persons going by pointing the finger at the place, there is a perpetual remembrance preserved of this extraordinary kind of death.

Arianism, I'm pretty sure, although check me on this, is the first formally recognized heresy of Christendom. Many would follow! Some heresies would die, like Arianism, the heretics at their head meeting violent ends. Some heresies blossom and divide the body religious into sects forever thereafter. And some heresies become new and strange things, alien to the beliefs that birthed them.

:teach: What is heresy?

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is this: create a card which is a heresy or a heretic. The heresy can be dogma itself or an act stemming from dogmatic, heretical belief. The heresy can be meta: feel free to create a card that runs against the accepted dogma of Magic design! It will be graded on its merits. Dumb heresy is just blasphemy, and rejected out of hand.

You have one week from the time of this post until this contest is closed! That's Friday, February 21 at 12:45PM PST! As always with my dojos, feel free to submit as many cards as you like. I'll grade them all at the end, but I reserve the right to only offer in-depth feedback on one of the cards you submitted, on-demand.

Good luck!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:49 pm 

Denier of Nyx
:1::u::b:
Creature - Human Advisor
Protection from Enchantments
:u::b:: Permanents your opponents control lose hexproof and indestructible until end of turn.
"Lord Ashiok has shown me the way! Gods and Nyxborn are naught but a nightmare from which Theros must awaken!"
2/3

Orzhova's Charity
:1::b::b:
Sorcery
Draw two cards and gain 3 life
: Copy Orzhova's Charity except it doesn't have this ability. Only an opponent may activate this ability and only if Orzhova's Charity is on the stack.
"Debt is salvation. To give is, therefore, an unquestionable evil." - Pontiff Kuznik

Template source: Lightning Storm

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Last edited by Tevish Szat on Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Ancestral Consultation
Sorcery
Draw card. If you have four or more creature cards in your graveyard, draw two cards instead.
Despite the Dromoka forbidding the Abzan's veneration of Kin-Tree spirits, a few zealous sects maintain this tradition in secret.

Bonus Secondary Entry (Dont Grade This if Only One):

Boggart Economics
Sorcery
You may shuffle your hand into your library. If you do, draw that many cards.
Any time you could mulligan, you may put this card on the stack from your hand. (This spell resolves as the game begins).

Last edited by EpicLevelCommoner on Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Professor of Profanities
Creature — Human Cleric
Lifelink
Whenever you gain life, each opponent exiles that many cards from the top of their library.
"I've sought out the most sacred of places and most radiant of lights, and there, discovered the darkest and deepest shadows."
1/3

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:38 pm 

Essence of Greed

Creature - Avatar (R)
Trample, haste
You may tap lands you don't control for mana to pay for Essence of Greed's mana cost.
There is no sanctuary holy enough to keep it away.
4/4

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:08 pm 

Cardicule's Condemnation
Instant
Counter target spell. The converted Mana cost of spells with that name are increased by 1/2 of a colorless Mana within this league for the remainder of the league's duration. (Arena tracks the costs of spells altered this way. Fractional Mana costs are rounded down.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:49 pm 

Heretical dogma

Stained by Sin
Enchantment
Whenever a creature without a sin counter attacks, put a sin counter on it. For as long as that creature has a sin counter on it, it has "Whenever this creature untaps, you lose 1 life unless you sacrifice it." (The creature continues to atone after Stained by Sin has left the battlefield.)
"Serra's mercy is great, yes, but are we worthy of it?"
- Hodal Derrent, Demagogue

Caused by belief in heretical dogma

Fanatic's Purge
Sorcery
Destroy each creature with one or more sin counters on them.
Put a sin counter on each tapped creature. For as long as that creature has a sin counter on it, it has "Whenever this creature untaps, you lose 1 life unless you sacrifice it." (The creature continues to atone after Fanatic's Purge has resolved.)

Heretic

Despairing Shepherd
Creature - Human Cleric
,, Sacrifice a creature that entered the battlefield this turn: You gain 1 life for each creature in your graveyard. Put a sin counter on Despairing Shepherd.
Whenever Despairing Shepherd untaps, you lose life equal to the number of sin counters on it unless you sacrifice it.
1/1
"It is a gift, I give them. While they are still innocent and pure, they have some chance of seeing Serra's realm as an angel. We who live and know can never reach that paradise."

Meta

Seed of Doubt
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Whenever a creature you control dealt damage by enchanted creature this turn dies, gain control of enchanted creature.
You're more than a killer...right?

(There have only been 2 white cards that gain control of things, as far as I know. But conversion, redemption, and so on are potential flavor justifications for such a mechanic. It is thus heretical to the current color pie, but permissible under the guise of traditional white themes.)

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:43 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Gatling Buccaneer
Creature - Human Pirate
, : This creature deals 1 damage to a target creature or player. Then, this creature deals 1 damage to that creature or player again. Then, this creature deals 1 damage to that creature or player again. Then, this creature deals 1 damage to that creature or player again. Then, this creature deals 1 damage to that creature or player again. Then, this creature deals 1 damage to that creature or player again.
0/6

War of the spark will have so many Planeswalkers, they won't even be planeswalking anymore.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 3:49 am 

YingLung wrote:
(There have only been 2 white cards that gain control of things, as far as I know. But conversion, redemption, and so on are potential flavor justifications for such a mechanic. It is thus heretical to the current color pie, but permissible under the guise of traditional white themes.)

I remembered 3 off the top of my head and looked it up. There are four mono-white gain controls: Preacher, Evangelize, Debt of Loyalty, and Jabari's Influence, the latter of which I forgot. So three premodern and one Time Spiral callback.

I have a blog. I review anime, and sometimes related media, with an analytical focus.

I'm a (self) published author now! You can find my first book, The Accursed, on Amazon as an ebook or a paperback!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:14 am 

YingLung wrote:

I remembered 3 off the top of my head and looked it up. There are four mono-white gain controls: Preacher, Evangelize, Debt of Loyalty, and Jabari's Influence, the latter of which I forgot. So three premodern and one Time Spiral callback.

That's about what I figured, in regards to when it has shown up in mono-white. Thanks for looking them up!

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:40 am 

An out-dated heresy

Bear out of the Woods - :gold:
Creature - Bear
( :gold: can only be paid by colored mana.)
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:29 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Bumping this -- taking submissions through the end of the week!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:40 pm 

Heretical Ideas -
Enchantment | R
At the beginning of your upkeep, sacrifice Heretical Ideas unless you discard a card.
At the beginning of your end step, if you controlled Heretical Ideas since the beginning of the turn, draw two cards.
There are lessons to be lost and lessons to be learned.

Last edited by BelangiaJo on Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pm 

Create something which I think kinda sums up 'heresy' imo.

Condemnation of Heresy -
Enchantment
At the beginning of each player's end step, he or she chooses a permanent he or she doesn't control other than ~ that doesn't share a converted mana cost with a permanent he or she controls. Then, exile that permanent.
When all non-land permanents on the battlefield other than ~ has the same converted mana cost, exile ~.
Heresy lies in the defiance to conformity.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:10 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Back-Alley Astrologer
Creature - Minotaur Shaman
At the beginning of your upkeep each player puts the top 2 cards of their library into their graveyard. If any two of those cards share a card type besides land, ~ deals 2 damage to any target.
This is unfortunate...I see a mugging in your near future
2/2

A bit of a meta one. obviously red doesn't get mill but I figured it was a decent stretch. It goes well with red's reckless nature and often "madness" flavor. As well as the fact it does rarely get effects, or used to, like burning inquiry which is effectively a weaker mill.

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:12 am 

Identity: Spambot
Preferred Pronoun Set: 0, 1
Gruul Inquisitor :r::g:
Creature - Human Shaman
When ~ enters the battlefield, target opponent reveals their hand. ~ deals damage to that player equal to the number of nonland, noncreature cards revealed this way.
2/2
"Our way of life is on the brink of destruction. We must ensure that the old ways are kept, by any means necessary."

EDIT: I suppose I should point out that this is a guy or gal who roots out heretics, not the one doing the heresy.

Last edited by Cato on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:45 pm 

Sariq, Who Rejected Bant
Legendary Creature - Human Knight
Lifelink, first strike
Equipment attached to Sariq have exalted.
"Sariq, who denounced the Asura. Sariq, who armored his back. Sariq, who revels in the shadows of dragons and demons. Yes, all that describes me. You forgot one, though - Sariq, who blesses his blades in his foes' blood."
1/1

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:31 am 

Hellatic Heresy
Legendary Enchantment
All other enchantments are artifact Treasure cards with ", Sacrifice this artifact: Add one mana of any color." and no other abilities.
Hellatic teachings cite Therosian works of art depicting gods and fantastical creatures as naught but myths and legends. At best, vestiges of an unenlightened era."

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:17 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

This is closed! No more submissions!
Grades by end of day Tuesday 2/24!

If you sneak in a submission before 2/24 I'll still grade it but you'll also get a demerit.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:18 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Gruul Pacifist
Creature — Human Shaman (U)
Haste
: Produce .
She just didn't see the point in spears.
2/2

Like this post