It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:19 pm 

Read the title. It's true. I'm older now. Wiser? Maybe... but older guaranteed.

For my birthday, let's have a 24 hours (give or take) contest on the following topic:

Design a card or cards with a keyword / mechanic that represents getting older.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:39 pm 

Test User (1)
Stood the Test of Time
Enchantment
Flash
Ancient - Permanents and spells you control have hexproof as long as you control more lands than any other player.
"Human years are way too short to count for anything" - Multani

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:21 pm 

Golgari Elder

Creature - Elf Shaman (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may pay . If you do, reminisce. (Put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.)
"I've seen masters reincarnate as students, fathers as sons, and goblins as... well.. goblins. I can't really tell them apart."
1/2

And happy birthday! :party:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:59 pm 

happy birthday

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Withering Sangromancer
Creature — Human Wizard
Vanishing 2
Sacrifice a creature: Put a time counter on ~.
"Mind if I borrow just a minute of your life?"
5/4

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:10 am 

Decrepifying Touch -
Instant
Decrepify (~ deals damage to creatures in the form of -1/-1 counters and to players in the form of aging counters. A player's maximum life is equal to 20 minus the number of aging counters they have.)
~ deals 2 damage to target creature or player.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:11 am 

Touch of Wisdom
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature gets -1/-1 for each activated ability it has.
Whenever an ability of enchanted creature is activated, copy that ability.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Last edited by YingLung on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:15 am 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Happy birthday;

Eager Wyrmling
Creature - Dragon
Flying, Haste
Peak 2 (At the beginning of your upkeep, if this creature has less than two +1/+1 counters on it, pyt a +1/+1 counter on it).
2/2

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:35 pm 

Thanks for the birthday wishes. Closing the contest around 5PM PST.
I'm also flying to Paris tonight, so it may be 24 or so hours before I'm able to grade!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:41 pm 

merry birthday

The Eldtree

Legendary Land
At the beginning of your upkeep, put a growth counter on ~.
:t:: Add :g: equal to the number of growth counters on ~.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:24 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
BelangiaJo wrote:
I'm also flying to Paris tonight, so it may be 24 or so hours before I'm able to grade!

Whoa! Bon voyage, king!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:17 pm 

Grades tonight.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:51 am 

COMMENTS:
  • Stood the Test of Time:
    The mechanic - Ancient. It's an ability word for "... as long as you control more lands than any other player." My concern is that this mechanic capitalizes on one of the most unfun aspects of the game - when an opponent misses a land drop, I benefit. I do like that it turns on and off throughout the game, though I remember Wizards mentioning that while playtesting Ascend they decided to make the City's Blessing permanent because complicated board states made it hard to track if it came and went AND it warped the games too much around trying to maintain 10+ permanents instead of trying to win (specifically via combat).
    The design. When you don't have Ancient, I imagine you hold onto this card in hand because it doesn't do much. You treat this like a protection spell when you have Ancient - understanding that you may lose Ancient (and hexproof) as the game goes long. I mentioned above that there's the added feelbad of facing down Ancient cards while manascrewed - but it also has the benefit of making manaflood increase the power level of your cards. I'd imagine that there are designs with this mechanic that have some base ability that gets better if you have Ancient. Interesting design, though I'm not sure it's the one I'd use to showcase this mechanic.
  • Golgari Elder:
    The mechanic - Reminisce. I have the slightest feeling that this mechanic is busted. While it's not pure card advantage, it does make your threats harder to deal with while also allowing you to reuse removal spells. As one safety valve, I would specify a card type and/or cmc.
    The design. I like the simplicity of the design. It feels very Golgari. I mentioned the power level of the mechanic above, but I believe much of the concern is the repeatability that this design provides the mechanic.
  • Withering Sangromancer:
    The mechanic - Vanishing. Deep. I am vanishing, aren't I? This is an existing mechanic - not much to add here except I miss these pseudo-drawback mechanics. I understand why Wizards got rid of Vanishing, Echo, and Cumulative Upkeep - but they were interesting design tools to create complex yet powerful cards.
    The design. Also a solid design. An aging wizard who sacrifices others to stay alive. On an empty board, you get a single attack with it before they die. The more sacrifice fodder you have, the longer they stay around - but there's the risk of sacrificing your board into a removal spell. The flavor is also very nice. I like the choice to make this black instead of red, but it serves as a nice compliment to small red creatures (like Goblin tokens, for instance). If the card itself were red it may limit the number of in-color synergies within the limited environment.
  • Decrepifying Touch:
    The mechanic - Decrepify. Reminds me of the love child between Wither and Poisonous. I like the concept of Aging counters (would probably just use Age counters instead) adjusting the "maximum life total." This mechanic assumes that there is a "maximum life total" already. What happens if a player with 30 life gets an age counter? Do they drop down to 19? To avoid complexity: I would probably treat the age counters similarly to blaze counters instead - a triggered ability at the beginning of their upkeep where they lose X life where X is the number of age counters they have.
    The design. If this card existed in a set, it would undoubtably be a red card. Even if black typically has -1/-1 counters, there would need to be some color bends to make the limited environment work as intended. As for the card itself, it's a simple common "removal" spell with some versatility. Not sure if I would use the set mechanic name in the card name.
  • Touch of Wisdom:
    Wasn't sure if there was a mechanic that I'm missing, but I'll evaluate this as an "activated abilities" matter theme. In a set where there are creatures with activated abilities, this card punishes those creatures - or stops the opponent from activating those abilities. It's a little difficult to track how many times in a game a creature's ability has been activated. As such, I would probably just opt for the addition of a -1/-1 counter each time its activated ability was activated. There is a the case where you enchant your own creature to get around an "activate this ability only once each turn" clause.
  • Eager Wyrmling:
    The mechanic - Peak. Peak is a very simple mechanic that fits the criterion very well.
    The design. I quite like this design. It attacks as a 2/2, a 3/3, and -finally- a 4/4. It scales with the game. It has the flavor of something that's growing or maturing. My one concern is the power level. I might have added a "Eager Wyrmling attacks each turn if able." clause or something similar, but that might be too cautious. There are also some fun things you can do with peak - "Eager Wyrmling attacks each turn if able unless it's peaked." for instance.
  • The Eldtree:
    The mechanic - growth counters. Reminds me of substance. Growth counters are ideal placeholders to allow different definitions of how cards "age".
    The design. I fear that the design is too powerful, particularly if played on T1. As long as you're playing lands on curve, this land quickly produces more than a single land's worth of value.

Grades:
Group A: Withering Sangromancer, Eager Wyrmling
Group B: Stood the Test of Time, Golgari Elder, Decrepifying Touch
Group C: Touch of Wisdom, The Eldtree

The Winner

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:55 pm 

I'm not sure you are parsing my card right. Check Quicksilver Elemental's rulings for how it counts and deals with various activated abilities and copies thereof.
The intended use is putting my card on say, Nantuko Shade. It would get -1/-1 because it has one activated ability. Then you pay :b: to activate the shade's ability and it gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

Previous seasons of Chopped:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:10 pm 

Definitely mis-parsed it. I like it quite a bit better now. :nod:

I'd probably move it up to Group B.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:04 pm 
Conqueror of Eldangard

Identity: Male
Happy belated Bday! Sorry, I haven't been very present recently.

Eurus wrote:
Golgari Elder

Creature - Elf Shaman (R)
Whenever a creature you control dies, you may pay . If you do, reminisce. (Put a card from your graveyard on top of your library.)
"I've seen masters reincarnate as students, fathers as sons, and goblins as... well.. goblins. I can't really tell them apart."
1/2

And happy birthday! :party:

I love that flavor text.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post