It is currently Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You Make the Conspiracy
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:09 pm 

These cards were all designed for Glimpse drafting, a two-person draft format where you create 9 packs of 15 cards for each player. Pick a card from the pack then burn two of the cards (remove them from the pack into a separate pile). Pass the pack to your opponent. Repeat until all packs are opened. You see alot of cards, and you have a lot of opportunities to hate out your opponent. At the same time, you don't know what your opponent is burning vs. selecting, so there is a great deal of mixed signals and hidden information. It's kind of like drafting on steroids. I started to think about ways this process could be even more interactive. With a bit of inspiration from Dominion, a bit from D&D, and of course Magic's own Conspiracy set, I created a cycle of six cards to be played during the draft.

The cards (continued on next post):

Spoiler

Last edited by niatpac on Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:24 am, edited 17 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:16 pm 

(continued from first post)

Cards II

Notes:

[1] Conspiracy cards cannot be played when they are face down.

[2] Since the cards involve burning cards and a burn pile, some of them won't work in a four-person draft. This could be fixed, however, by having more cards like Diversify, which requires you to burn a card.

[3] An interesting issue that came up was I realized it is not necessary to preserve booster pack parity (each player getting passed the same number of cards). In cases where a player gets passed a booster with no cards, they could take randomly from the burn pile, or a new booster could be created from the burn pile, or from other players' hands (the players who have excess cards). However, this would drastically change the draft and could lead to unfun situations where one player doesn't even have sufficient cards to build a deck. Alot of tuning would be necessary.

Conclusion

These were six cards I quickly sketched in a burst of inspiration. I feel like a lot more can be done with making the drafting process even more interactive - especially in the context of a cube. Specifically, I think there is more potential with recursive effects and dierolls a la D&D, as seen in Meta Knight.

So far, this is all theoretical. None of these have been tested. I'm planning on playing tonight soon and putting some of them into the draft, so I'll see how it goes. However, I would like to iron out any issues ahead of time. Did get the chance to playtest one card. See post below.

Finally – and perhaps the main point of all this – I would love to use this thread as a resource to create more cards and brainstorm ideas for conspiracy drafting. I think as a casual format this could be a great way to creatively enhance the game, and I am excited for what ideas others have.

Last edited by niatpac on Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:09 pm 

Notes: Finally got the chance to playtest. The only conspiracy that was played was Conspiracy 1. The way it played out was my drafting partner basically used the card to burn the final three cards in the pack and get two first picks on the next pack. The downsides of the card - [1] taking it instead of an actually playable card and [2] having to abstain for one pack and take a risk on the next pack actually seemed rather minimal, so it's possible this card is broken. It could be fixed by having the player turn it face down within the next few turns rather than "leaving it up" and allowing them to turn it facedown when the opportune moment arises. Then of course the problem is the card may be too underpowered.

Obsession also came up, but both me and my drafting partner passed on that, so that card may not actually be playable.

I've also amended Meta Knight to read "take two additional" cards, because it was not clear that the player who drafts it will be getting two picks this round instead of one. Meta Knight is probably the card that I'm most excited and most unsure about. Is it balanced enough for people to not just burn it based on power level? Would love to hear feedback from others on that.

Last edited by niatpac on Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:39 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
I'd love to comment but a lot of these seem mechanically reliant on the "burn phase", and I don't know what that is. could you explain?

:duel:

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:01 pm 

Ah, yeah. So with a two-player draft we'll burn two cards after picking one to simulate a four-person draft. The booster packs reduce by three each round (1 pick + two burned cards), so there are five rounds for each booster. We usually crack 9 boosters total. The cards in the burn pile are basically removed from the draft. It's sorta like a graveyard that accrues during the draft phase.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:21 am 

Welp got inspired to make a new cycle last night after concluding another cube draft.

Levelling my cube up from 390 to around the 450 range, I wanted to add in more support for other kinds of decks, artifacts-matter being one of them. At the same time, I wanted to build on other archetypes using custom cards. But how to make the cards useful to an archetype in way that is still flexible, which is what you want in a cube? For that I looked at some recent modal design space – namely, adventure and the devotion cards in the new Theros set.

Flavorwise, my idea was sort of MTG meets 3D-printing. These creatures are meant to be odd, industrially-created objects that can learn the functions of other spells.

Lo, and behold:

Spoiler

Considerations

These are very much a work-in-progress. Immediately after designing the cards, I started to consider alternative designs, such as just bundling color in with Mechanize (it can only mechanize spells of color x). The benefits to this are that color pie isn't completely broken. The downsides are the lack of flexibility. Right now, I'm sticking with the initial design, but I think these are even more risky, design-wise, than my first cycle of cards. The fact that the only downside involved is drafting the creature instead of a normal card raises red flags. And again, I'm still not satisfied with the "leaving up" aspect of the turning face down mechanic. The player can leave the card face up waiting for the perfect opportunity to flip it at little to no cost. The only solution I've come up with is implementing something like fading or time counters on the cards, so they expire after a certain point. However, then I feel like the cards are not being incentivized enough, not to mention that it's more clunky text to add to the card.

Would welcome any suggestions others might have.

Like this post